So my new G5422TG arrived and...

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by SWoody, Oct 23, 2020.

1. SWoody

SWoody Gretschie

Aug 27, 2018
    PA
    Well it's beautiful to look at walnut stain and gold hardware. (I know pics...when I get a chance). Recently I bought a 2019 G5622T in Georgia Green as well. So I have each of the 54** series. I have three 5420's and the neck is nice/comfortable and consistent between the three of them even though they are each a couple years apart. The green 5622 has a VERY thin, super fast neck like a 335 but significantly smaller than the 5420's. Now the new 5422tg has a BIG fat neck on it in comparison to the others which I wasn't expecting. I've seen a few used ones and I wonder if that's why they are selling them. I have small hands but I'm fine with it just thought I'd put it out there as an FYI. Fit and finish on both new ones are great. The 5622 needed fret work out of the box but I bought it used however you couldn't tell it was ever played. The 5422TG is new but there are still a couple high frets but I can fix those. The first thing I did with both of them is put a strap button at the heel off the neck. Having it on the upper bout, for me, is super awkward.

Zeek, Stonepicking and Drock2k1 like this.
  2. Drock2k1

Drock2k1 Synchromatic

Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    Congrats and yes...pics :)

3. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Gretschie

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    Nice. My 5422 has a thinner neck than my 5420. It took me a while to get used to it. After a pickup and bridge change it really improved the sound and playability. Very nice guitar all round.

4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Congrats and enjoy!

5. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
  6. DangerousD

DangerousD Electromatic

Oct 15, 2020
    Colorado
    Congrats. Just got my 5422 last week. Love the neck...not fat at all, thin in fact, comparable to my SG.

7. Gewdkharma

Gewdkharma Gretschie

Jan 14, 2018
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Congrats! Love my 5422tg. Interesting how neck size difference can be personal. Mine has a narrower neck than my 6120 by quite a margin. Surprises me how much I like the tone. I didn't care for the blacktops in my 5420 but much different in the 5422.

8. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on your new G5422TG. They are fine guitars, I enjoy mine.

9. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats!

My 5422 has a small neck too,older model with the large headstock and vertical Electromatic logo,i haven't played mine much since i bought it:oops:,but it is a lovely geet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.