Join Gretsch-Talk Today

So My Fishman Died

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Tinman46, Jul 16, 2017 at 2:42 PM.

1. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Did a solo bit at church this morning. My Fishman loudbox mini was working fine when I practiced last night. Got it to church and set up, turned it on and got what sounded like fuzzy radio air. Weird....plugged in and turned the amp back on to howling feedback...got the master volume down in a hurry. There's a constant hum with volume down, gingerly turn the volume up a little and I'm getting massive overdrive tones. Bleh...plan two using a DI box to the PA. I like having the Fishman as a stage monitor but this would have to do.
    When I got home I tried the amp again with the same results. I figure something in the preamp stage is gone with the amount of volume and distorted overdrive I'm getting. It's unusable as an acoustic amp. The mic channel seems to respond OK, besides the constant hum from the instrument channel. Even when I turn the instrument volume all the way down there's a hum.
    Ripped it apart and looked things over. There's nothing obvious...no burnt/charred components. All the solder points seem firm. I was really hoping something wiggled loose on the car ride but I'm not finding it.
    I considered looking into sending it somewhere for repair but in my experience solid state issues usually mean replacing the entire circuit board which equates to expensive. I've had and used this amp for a 6 years now so maybe this is an opportunity to upgrade. It would be nice to have something with separate DI outputs for each channel so I'm considering a Fishman Artist.
    I'm looking for feedback or suggestions on a new Acoustic amp. Must have 2 channels, be under $1000 Canadian (about 790 US), prefer separate DI out for each channel (to keep the sound guy happy). Have enough oomph for small/mid solo gig when a PA isn't around. I like the Fishman Artist on paper but just wondering if there's anything I should look at.

2. Sorry to hear about the gear mishap. After playing through fishman, Roland, and a few other acoustic amps, including a Bose tower with their tonematch mixer, I went with a Schertler amp. I think it's Swiss engineered and made in Italy. Mine is the jam 200. It does not have separate outs, just one. However, it is the best I have found to make your guitar sound like your guitar , just louder. Most acoustic amps flavor the sound. This does not. Single 8" speaker and a small " tweeter, horn". I can plug my wife's mike, my mike and guitar and play small to medium sized venues with no additional speakers. The only amp close in sound is a AER 60, which is not as powerful, but also has a great natural sound.

Take a quick look online. The 200 are rarely found used, but new is about 899. Fishman makes good gear, but to my ears it sounds processed. A few stores carry them, and if you can try one, even a lower wattage, I think you will like the sound.

Tinman46 likes this.
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Sorry to hear about the amp melt down right before the service. I have felt that helpless feeling before, when gear suddenly goes bad, so you have my sympathies.

The amp I use for acoustic now is a Fender SFX amp. It gives a nice stereo field sound that is tough to describe, but sounds full, and beautiful. If you can, I suggest auditioning it. It does have the 2 channels you want, and it also has an XLR line out, but it's not separate for each channel. It's 2x80 watts, so it should be fine for your solo gigs. It has some useful built in effects for each channel (reverb, delay, chorus and "Vibratone"), a 3 band EQ, a dial for mixing in the amount of stereo field sound, and a phase button. These are going for $899 new, and weighs in at a mere 25 lbs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thunder58 and Tinman46 like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Sorry to hear this . RIP Fishman.;)

MTurner and Tinman46 like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Very surprised to hear this as Fishman makes a great product , that's what the specialize in . I would stick with the Fishman product .
    Would you purchase an " acoustic amp " from Marshall , Fender , or any other " tube " amp company ? I know I wouldn't . I'm sure there are other options out there , but like I said , I'm very surprised . Good luck with the search

Tinman46 likes this.
  7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I feel for you. My rhythm guitarists loudbox actually fried and my son's Fishman Bass preamp went teats up a yr later. My Lr Baggs Paracoustic DI on the other hand has been working for me some 15yrs :) I've been running my acoustics through it into either a powered JBL EON or my quilter powerblock to a 112 or 115 cab.

thunder58 and Tinman46 like this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny