Small electric shock on the guitar body

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by old_internal, Apr 2, 2021.

1. old_internal

old_internal Electromatic

Mar 28, 2021
    Tehran
    Hey everyone.
    I have a Fender Mustang I V2 and whenever I turn it one and connect it to a guitar (no pedal in the setup, just guitar and the amp) there is a small electric shock whenever my arm hit the metal parts like bridge.
    I have a voltmeter and there was about 1.5 to 2 volts on the guitar body and even the cable itself!
    Is this normal? Or there is something wrong with the amp?
    Does the guitar cable even supposed to have a voltage in it?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I had that a couple of times on a solid state practice amp. I’m not an amp tech so I asked the local TV repair guy. Turned out to be a voltage regulator. A one buck part.

Not a lethal zap but still unpleasant enough to make an argument for proper grounding on your guitar.

old_internal and wabash slim like this.
  3. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

well, i don't know if this could be a big issue, but for me it's not normal and maybe it could be dangerous too.

4. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    That is not normal, and not acceptable. Since you have metered it, I’d be curious to know the current in milliamps but, regardless, the amp input should never allow voltage into the ground shield of the cable like that.

old_internal, ZackyDog and mrfixitmi like this.
  5. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    To me it sounds like the amp is not properly grounded. There should no voltage on the metal parts or the cable shield.

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That just ain't right. It's the amp. Get it into the repair guy ASAP.

7. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Besides the guitar, it's possible that the amp isn't grounded properly. Try a different amp that has a grounded plug to eliminate this possibility.
    Edit: looks we were all typing this at the same time.

8. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    We have a Mustang V2, and have had received no shocks from it. If I did, I would get it repaired ASAP, these issues tend to get worse, not self heal. You are wise to be concerned.
    As mentioned previously, it may be the guitar.
    Did you plug in another guitar and have the same issues. Sometimes a cold solder joint on the guitar's ground circuit can give a similar problem.

old_internal likes this.
  9. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I hope you have a last Will in good order.

All joking aside, if your amp is recent it may still be under warranty assuming it’s the amp and not the guitar. I had Fender G-Dec 30 around 2010 (2-3 years old) and it had something pop with next to no sound coming out. Different than a shock, yes. But Fender took care of me and simply replaced the entire amp with a new one. My customer experience was second to none.

old_internal and ZackyDog like this.
  10. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Have you all noticed what part of the world the OP lives in?
    When I lived in Spain 40 years ago there was not one grounded outlet in my apartment. I had to run a separate wire (from water pipes) to ground my audio system, not a problem.

First I'd make sure your electrical outlet is grounded.

I remember the old days 50 years ago. My older brother Steve almost got electrocuted when he plugged in his Super Reverb in the garage and the outlet wasn't properly grounded. Correction: as I think about it now, I believe his amp only had a two-prong plug.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Charles Conner and old_internal like this.
  11. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    You can get the same experience in the Bay Area in 2021. The house I'm in has exactly one grounded outlet. In the garage for the washing machine.

The back ground is that so many houses were built in 1950s after the war and no owner has ever upgraded the electrical systems. I've lived in many places like that here. In fact the first place end of 90s was new and had grounded outlets. The 6 places I've lived in since have had no, or one grounded outlet.

12. Charles Conner

Charles Conner Gretschie

May 19, 2016
    Maryland
    The electrical outlet would be the starting place on the check list for that problem.. You should have 3 prong plugs, with a good earth ground and the hot & neutral lines on their correct pins.

Inexpensive electrical outlet testers can be purchased at most hardware stores. I carry one with me on all band jobs and have seen pictures of them posted here on GT. I had a picture of mine in my computer that I was going to post here but I can't find the picture....

OOOPS Now realize where the op is located

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    old_internal likes this.
  13. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Guys, he lives in Iran. I don't know if his local Ace hardware has outlet testers that fit his plugs. LOL!! J/K of course! Getting a Fender tested or repaired might be tough over there too.

Not wanting to hijack the thread but we here in the US were taught a fairly short history lesson usually starting only about 400 years ago.
    When you go to the Mediterranean area it boggles the mind how old things are.
    I lived in southern Spain and drove on roads first built by the Romans around year One.
    I was in the Navy and went on a weekend retreat that stayed in a monastery in Chipiona Spain, about 1/2 hour from the base where I worked. The monastery was obviously old but I had no idea. Found out that Ponce De Leon, that guy who looked for the fountain in Florida, had stayed at that exact same monastery. The marble steps everywhere were worn at least 2 inches in the center from many hundreds of years of foot traffic and I had placed my feet exactly in the same spot where he had walked. Boggles the mind.

My apartment was in the "old town" section of Rota Spain and the building was hundreds+ of years old. The builders didn't know to leave room for wires in the stone walls, LOL again!
    The wiring was all external to the walls, the switches and outlets were stuck wherever they wanted them and nothing was grounded. I've seen the same in England, Sicily, Italy, Morocco and that whole area.

So I'm hoping the OP lives without grounded outlets and he can run a wire to some cold water pipes to ground the amp and any other electronics he owns. And I'm hoping that fixes his problem.

14. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I hadn’t noticed he lives in Iran. That being said and while not knowing the local building code, his residence might be grounded fine. Tehran is the capital with over 8 million people so it’s likely more up to date on electrical grounding.

But I do get what you’re saying. When I was in Afghanistan the locals lived literally in mud and straw made houses like Jesus times. But the capital Kabul is a different story.

Hmmm... I’m guessing my earlier Last Will joke may not have translated. Anyway, hopefully he gets it all figured out.

Charles Conner and old_internal like this.
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Good point, but I would not make any assumptions on his living conditions based on location though. Clearly he has access and the money to afford a Gretsch. :)

old_internal likes this.
  16. old_internal

old_internal Electromatic

Mar 28, 2021
    Tehran
    Yeah, I think the amp is not grounded properly.
    Yep, I tested it with my other guitar and the same thing happened.
    Yeah, here we use mostly type C plug.

Nope, here we use mostly type C plug.
    Wow :D I think you have pretty wrong perspective about Iran LOL
    But yeah our home doesn't have grounding and going to use the water pipes

LOL :D

Charles Conner and Ricochet like this.
  17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Being save of electrical shocks was one reason for me to use active pickups for many, many years.

18. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    May I add - trying plugging the amp into another receptacle on a different circuit in your house. Sometimes a faulty ground in the wiring can cause this. If it still happens it's for sure a problem with the amp and should be checked out by a tech.
    P.S. I didn't notice he was living in Iran but I would imagine he can use his multi-meter to check the receptacles for a proper ground.

Gregor likes this.
  19. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    No need for active pickups.
    A good wireless system will do the same job...:).

loudnlousy likes this.
  20. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Is there something like a "good wireles system"?
    I`ve been through a bunch of them and hated them all.
    (In Germany there are only a very few frequencies allowed for wireless instrument use.)

wabash slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.