slap me silly...!

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Goldfingers007, Feb 12, 2020.

1. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
    Just a note if you consider the Aqua Puss: It doesn't work well with preamp pedals like the Atomic Brain. If you put it after the preamp - as you should according to Tavo -, the repeat will clip, will get distorted. I went back to my Danelectro BLT Slap-Back because of that issue.

Goldfingers007 likes this.
  2. Fasteddie42

Fasteddie42 Electromatic

Sep 18, 2018
    tip of the mitt
    Fyi, aquapuss is best placed before preamps/dirt.

The manual mentions this.

3. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    This is one of the cases that I'm totally pleased with a cheap Behringer in an unfancy plastic housing.

I chose it because it has seperate outputs for original and processed signal, so I can do other things to both. Like distortion on one, non on the other, ... and stuff along this.

Anyway - the VD 400 is worth being looked at - if it is only about delay and nothing else ... coz it can nothing else.

4. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
    Oops, didn't notice that. But to be honest the Danelectro after the Brain sounds way better than the Aqua Puss before the Brain - and is less noisy. ;)

Edit: Actually the manual says "before distortion units". Never considered the Brain as distortion, I thought that term is used for metal ... :D

Henry likes this.
  5. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Do you mean a kidney shaped Line 6 POD, or an actual kidney?

6. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

The Mystery Brain is probably king here, and for good reason. Love mine. Thay said, there are many options.

I'm a huge fan of the Carbon Copy and have several. If it is too dark, they have a "Bright" model, but even better perhaps, the new Carbon Copy Mini (got one several months ago) has a switch to emulate the Bright or the standard versions, so best of both worlds along with tiny footprint and good price.
    One other I feel is worth mentioning, the Yellow Fall by Donner. It is very easy on the budget and does great slap back (plus some other credible delay work). Also a mini pedal and available under $40 (just spotted Amazon Prime at $35.99). Not mentioned here yet, but it is a very popular pedal. Mine was recently replaced by my Carbon Copy Mini on my Nano Plus board.

Goldfingers007 and Merc like this.
  7. Fasteddie42

Fasteddie42 Electromatic

Sep 18, 2018
    tip of the mitt

Yeah, I should have mentioned I was paraphrasing. I think it still applies to preamps/overdrive/etc.

The aqua puss is bright but sort of smeary and from my understanding can clip easily if too hot a signal is fed into it.

Henry likes this.
  8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well Todd if you don't put any delay in a loop it doesn't matter which one you buy imo.
    They'll all sound less than optimal placed before the preamp :D

capnhiho and Goldfingers007 like this.
  9. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I sing thru a guitar amp at band practice. A peavey valveking 112 with my FAB echo in the fx loop. Works great as long as I keep the mic in the 2nd input. First input will just feedback like a mofo.

10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It's a preamp, not distortion, overdrive etc.

KuKuKu and Goldfingers007 like this.
  11. Goldfingers007

Goldfingers007 Electromatic

Feb 11, 2020
    Kansas City
    Thanks for all the info everyone! I have some pedals to try out this weekend.... all depends on whether or not my wife orders salad and lemon water or foie gras, lobster and beef filet and a glass of Opus One at our Valentine’s Day dinner how much I can spend on this pedal... Hahahahah...!

KuKuKu, Merc and new6659 like this.
  12. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    B196896F-3F0F-4615-9F3A-2BC12D0FDEB3.jpeg My favourite was the Wasabi Rock-A-Bye slapback pedal by Danelectro. Basically a fun tape echo emulator with overdrive and bags of character. I particularly liked the 50s Cadillac styling with ‘stop lights’ that come on with each footswitch.

SH only now but worth a google. Cheap too.

Goldfingers007 and T Bone like this.
  13. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I've tried many delay effect, most anything that's been on the market. And I constantly come back to a Boss DM-2. it's a one-trick pony, but the one trick it does better than anything else on the market.

14. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The thread title reminded me of the Monty Python Fish Slapping Dance. Totally absurd but makes me laugh.

KuKuKu likes this.
  15. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    My faves to date for slap have been Mystery Brain, Carbon Copy, Malekko Ekko 616 Mk II ( very much like the CC but brighter & w/ more control of modulation), Keeley Memphis Sun (just such a great atmosphere to this one), & somewhat unexpectedly the Caroline Kilobyte.

16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    If it's slap back that you want you could also try the Strymon Deco. I have both the El Capistan and Deco. I use the El Capistan for long delays and Deco for the slap backs. It also does a great job with chorus & flange/Phase/double tracking sounds.

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  17. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Electromatic

Jun 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    MXR all day long, Carbon Copy is a fine slapback delay, I've used it on tour for years and it is solid as a rock. Their new reverb is kinda on my GAS list but it's a high price to pay for fx I already have covered.

18. eastmountain

eastmountain Gretschie

May 1, 2013
    Missouri

19. eastmountain

eastmountain Gretschie

May 1, 2013
    Missouri
    Dad budget = Danelectro! The BLT or the DanEcho. Seriously. Especially if you aren’t switching it on and off a bunch.

CaliforniaSlim and Scott like this.
  20. 5thumbs

5thumbs Newbie

Feb 3, 2020
    Mojave desert
    Get a Peavey viper vip.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.