slap me silly...!

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Goldfingers007, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Goldfingers007

Goldfingers007 Electromatic

Feb 11, 2020
    Kansas City
    Yes, I hear ya, but the Strymons sound is almost exactly what I hear in my head...

I like the JHS milkman, but the slapback wasn’t as clean—even with the drive off... seemed to distort a little on the repeats... maybe I’m just hearing things. I like an always on pedal that is dialed in.... I like to play more than tech stuff...

2. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    If I was performing, or was even at a performance level, I'd go with the Mystery Brain because of all the positives it gets here. I went through a similar conundrum about a year ago and read past reviews and comments on a bunch of slapback and delay pedals. With my budget and recommends from people here on the Forum whose opinions I respect, and the fact I only play in my home studio, I finally settled on the MXR Carbon Copy. I don't find it dark, but quite lively with my 5422 and 6119. Even my Tele sounds good with it. But I'm working with a Vox AC15 and that always fits with a Gretsch for good sound.

3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Danelectro FAB Echo
    Cheap as hell, and does the job!

Nowadays I use mine for my vocals in the fx loop of my vocal amp.

Trash Kidd and Goldfingers007 like this.
  4. Goldfingers007

Feb 11, 2020
    Kansas City
    i have one of those somewhere in the house... I received one as a stocking stuffer yers ago... I kept it in the box and haven’t used it yet... I’ll have to find it and give it a whirl...

5. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Well, if you want slap, I’d suggest unboxing it. It’s the ONE thing this pedal is intended for.

6. Goldfingers007

Feb 11, 2020
    Kansas City
    I guess my mother in law likes me after all—it was a stocking stuffer from l0 years ago...

calebaaron666 likes this.
  7. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Probably one of coolest things a
    man can find in a sock!

wildeman and Goldfingers007 like this.
  8. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    I also have a Dan Echo, which is not super transparent but does sound very cool and of a different time. The Danelectros tend to sound nifty but aren't bullet proof (plastic housing). The Dan Echo is mostly metal housing and I got about three years of performing before it needed to stay at home. There are others here who may disagree, but if your on a budget and playing retro kinda stuff, Dan Echo is not a bad way to go. Prog, not so much.

Goldfingers007 likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I learned from @TV the Wired Turtle that the Mystery Brain has like 600ms of delay. So with an MB you get the Brain portion along with the delay and a pre in it as well.

10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ...we must be related :p

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    That’s just the way a good father takes care of the family.

Goldfingers007 and thunder58 like this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ;)

13. Then that seems the least expensive of all options. I never owned one, but i purchased one for my father in law to use on his microphone for some blues harp playing. It did it’s job. I did hook it up I once to my guitar and it works. No bells and whistles like others, but it is a slap back effect.

14. Goldfingers007

Feb 11, 2020
    Kansas City

hahahhaha...! i do love our dog, but he always sides with the family over me and grabs my ribeye off the plate at dinner when I get up to refresh everyone's drinks...

thunder58 likes this.
  15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    If someone wants only a simple slap back echo, most any echo will likely fill the spot nicely. That’s because it’s usually a short quick repeat. When playing along with a band, most people won’t pick up on differences. If you want to play and record with longer repeats then it’s a different story.

The Mystery Brain is a favorite of mine, but it’s more than an echo as it’s got the Roland RE-301 preamp.

16. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Synchromatic

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    TC Electronic Gauss Tape Echo. I have one and I'm very happy with it. Good sound and very sturdy aside from anything else.

UK Price is about £45, not sure what it'd be across the pond.

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    With the Mystery Brain you’re paying for the whole package and once you use it you won’t regret it.

18. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

FWIW, I stopped using the Strymon El Cap as soon as I got my Mystery Brain. MB is much easier to dial in, and as reliable as the day is long. The Strymon was very finicky about power fluctuations.

19. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    A used Hardwire delay is very nice and versatile, and affordable. Also i used to have a Danelectro Dan echo that did killer slap back, they're cheap.
    Fyi, a Hardwire lives on my board and i've chosen it for its qualities not its price.

20. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Do you sing through a PA or guitar amp? Probably sounds like a silly question, but I sung through a Mystery Brain into a small amp and liked the result

calebaaron666 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.