Sixto Rodriguez: the most underrated musician

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by The Box, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Based on my year living in Sydney, being critical of US society would have made him more popular. :rolleyes:

mrfixitmi and The Box like this.
  2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    In Australia you mean ?

ruger9 and Henry like this.
  3. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Like many my age in Australia, I obsessed over his music back in the late 70's / early 80's. It was quite the status symbol to own the albums that were shared around (I was one of the borrowers ;-). I wish circumstances had been different and he had been able to be more prolific with his work.

mrfixitmi and Waxhead like this.
  4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yes, spent 2004 in Sydney. My wife worked for the Federal Court and I studied at the university.

mrfixitmi and Waxhead like this.
  5. Bravefaces

Bravefaces Gretschie

Jan 13, 2014
    Central Australia NT
    I've seen Rodriquez a few times over the years. In the late 70s & early 80s when he toured here he toured with Midnight Oil. When he toured here again in 2013 he had The Break (Jim Moginie, Martin Rotsey and Rob Hirst of Midnight Oil, Jack Howard, Hunters & Collectors and Brian Ritchie from Violent Femmes) as his band. The Break did the support for the tour and then backed up as his touring band as well. I've attached a couple of crappy shots from the tour.

Attached Files:

mrfixitmi, Waxhead and Penguin like this.
  6. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    That's very cool, thanks for the photos!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  7. Bravefaces

Bravefaces Gretschie

Jan 13, 2014
    Central Australia NT
    [​IMG]

mrfixitmi and Penguin like this.
  8. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Oh, Tanelorn! Blast from the past!

mrfixitmi, Waxhead and Bravefaces like this.
  9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Great, I'd say that's the best backing band he ever had in his life.
    I was OS the years he toured OZ so never got to see him.
    Would have gone for sure :)

mrfixitmi likes this.
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    FANTASTIC line up that was - in 2021 if they tried to do same who would they have ..... 2 hip hop acts who've never gigged to more than 100 people and a DJ :rolleyes:

mrfixitmi likes this.
  11. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I also learned of him when "Searching for Sugar Man" came out.

Phenomenal cover and not sure how I missed the thread but better late than never!! Great voice, composition of the melody and the solo at the end....fantastic! I remember you having opened a thread a while back about the Cort Strat and see you got one and put it to very good use. Great tone. Great timing. Great performance and thank you for posting.

mrfixitmi and The Box like this.
  12. The Box

The Box Gretschie

Feb 9, 2020
    Iran
    thanks for the kind words. I am happy to hear that you liked it.

mrfixitmi and NJDevil like this.
  13. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Great Movie, great man of talent, yet so humble. @The Box, thanks for keeping Sixto in the forefront of our minds, and hearts. I took my Mother to Traverse City in July 2012 to see the film Searching for Sugar man, and we loved it.

Waxhead, NJDevil and The Box like this.
  14. Stencil

Stencil Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Gif-sur-Yvette, or the AF lounge
    Thanks very much for that delightful and sensitive cover. (BTW, I agree that Youtube's compressed sound does not do your music justice -- oh well, it's a necessary evil, got to post where there'll be traffic...)
    In pre-internet days, it's interesting how isolated were places like Oz, NZ or SA (in part due to Apartheid.) I have a lot of family in Oz and SA, and indeed Cold Fact had pride of place in my SA cousins' record collections (alongside the Stones, Jimi and Bob Dylan), but they only realised that he was alive when I showed them the Searching For Sugarman disc when they were visiting me.
    The documentary's end is indeed quite satisfying, though I must confess to have been a little saddened by what I saw at a post-documentary show in Paris in 2013. His management were clearly riding the Oscar hype, and had booked him into a hall that was ill-suited to his act (the Zenith, 7000 seats.) The man himself appeared to be ill at ease, probably stoned, under-rehearsed and the event was more of a gigantic meet-and-greet than a concert.
    On a trip to Cape Town three or four years back, I was able to visit Mambo Records, owned by 'Sugarman,' one of the two South African 'detectives,' and so was able to thank him for helping to secure Rodriguez the recognition he deserved.
    Cheers,
    Dominique;

15. The Box

The Box Gretschie

Feb 9, 2020
    Iran
    oh thank you.
    I wish I had his talent in writing lyrics. such great poems they are.

16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Nice job. I never heard of him or this song but your version is really good!
    Thanks for posting.

The Box likes this.
  17. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    @ The Box,

Your cover is awesome, and shows your depth of talent, thanks for posting it.

The Box and NJDevil like this.
  18. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    My 2 fav Rodriquez songs are

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Bravefaces

Bravefaces Gretschie

Jan 13, 2014
    Central Australia NT
    Yep It certainly was a very productive time and produced a lot of great music in Australia and New Zealand. We probably took a bit for granted thinking it would last forever. We've had a few purple patches post the 70-80s with some great bands in the 90s and in to early 00s. Its probably just that I've moved on a bit now but we don't seem to have seen too many great guitar based bands in the last 15 years or so in Oz.

Waxhead likes this.
  20. Bravefaces

Bravefaces Gretschie

Jan 13, 2014
    Central Australia NT
    I feel like some one is watching me these images turned up on my facebook feed today .Oils and Rodriguez taken at Tanelorn by Bob King

upload_2021-10-13_19-10-17.jpeg upload_2021-10-13_19-10-17.jpeg upload_2021-10-13_19-10-17.jpeg upload_2021-10-13_19-10-17.jpeg

Waxhead and Penguin like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.