Sixto Rodriguez: the most underrated musician

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by The Box, Sep 20, 2021.

1. The Box

The Box Gretschie

Feb 9, 2020
    Iran
    Have you heard his name? He is one of the greatest singer-songwriters who have walked on this earth. Unfortunately overshadowed by some other giants in his era like Bob Dylan. Rodriguez is a talented musician and a talented lyricist. Some years ago one of my friends gave me his records and I was shocked by his amazing works. I hope I could see him in person one day somewhere.
    I decided to cover one of his songs named "To whom it may concern" and put it on the youtube. The main song's structure is simple yet the lines are beautifully written and performed. I added up some parts to it although I didn't change the lines and main structure. I hope you like my cover. watch it here and don't forget to criticize! ;-)

2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    His "lost" albums are great, as is the documentary about him, Searching for Sugarman

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    mrfixitmi, j.s.c and The Box like this.
  3. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    That was a very cool movie about him. His music is reminiscent of Jim Croce.

4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Great cover - and really liked your embellishments too.
    And I have same comments for you as I do for everyone posting youtube videos.

Please don't waste your time with them :D - Youtube sound quality is too poor to do you justice.
    I'd much rather hear a good mp3 or Wave file - and the visuals add nothing imo.

Btw - what's not mentioned in the "Searching for Sugarman" doco is that Rodriquez was also huge in both Australia and NZ. He toured Australia before he went to Sth Africa. His "Cold Fact" and "Coming from Reality" albums were massive hits here and I have had both ever since they were released. He was heavily played on FM radio here from Day 1. I still have a Rodriquez song book published here in the 1980s :cool:

There was a lot of discussion here about why Rodriquez was never popular in the US and consensus was his lyrics were far too critical of US society for him to gain much acceptance. It wouldn't have mattered here if he was talking of Australian society but US is a different culture to ours :D

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    mrfixitmi, Penguin, Henry and 3 others like this.
  5. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    I ran onto the documentary when it came out originally. Very well-done, and I've highly recommended it to many people into 60's music, many being Latinos, who've never heard of him. That needs to change, IMHO. Such a very real-life experience, that actually has a happy ending (not gonna spoil it for anyone). I need to watch that again.

6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Like it ? ..... I loved it . Great work my friend

mrfixitmi and The Box like this.
  7. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Box, dang, I went back here to view your cover/tribute...wow! You got some skills, my friend! Makes me think I need to seriously work on my chops before I post any videos! Again, very nice. Great but simple production on the video too. I like it.

8. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Loved that movie -- such a great story. When it came out, someone highly recommended it to me but I didn't pay much attention to his effusive praise. Sometime later, my mom started telling me all about a movie she'd just seen that was about a Michigan artist that she met. During his active years, she'd gone to a club to see him with my dad and his sister and her date. My mom was blown away and wanted to buy his record but they were trying to chart so they begged her to buy it from a store to help the effort. So, she dutifully went to a record store and bought his album(s). They were in the record collection when I was growing up. After getting off the phone with her, I put 2 and 2 together and realized it was the same movie the other person had mentioned.

Great job with the cover -- sounded great!

mrfixitmi, The Box and Teledriver like this.
  9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Btw - here in Australia we never heard the "Rodriquez is dead" rumour.
    That was a Sth African thing.

We knew he was alive and well and from Detroit cos he toured here in 1979 and 81.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixto_Rodriguez

All those Sth African guys in the doco had to do was contact someone/anyone in Australia hehehe.
    But the doco is great anyway and deservedly got an Academy Award :D

10. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Yeah, seems he was known by his peers more than he was (in the 60's) by the American public. Not uncommon, actually. That was pre-internet!!
    People outside the USA know him better than we do here. Kinda similar in a way to how the British Invasion had to re-educate us on our great Blues players from the 20s to the 50s.

11. oneforsorrow

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Sadly, America is notorious for letting great talent go unnoticed while it thrives overseas.

mrfixitmi and Waxhead like this.
  12. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Wow, yet another broadening of my musical horizons. Thanks for that!

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Listen to his albums Cold Fact, Coming from Reality and ... At His Best.
    Every song is great and plenty of real classics too :D

mrfixitmi likes this.
  14. oneforsorrow

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    The first two are the ones that were in my house growing up!

mrfixitmi, The Box and Waxhead like this.
  15. The Box

The Box Gretschie

Feb 9, 2020
    Iran
    Thank you. The link to the mp3 file on soundcloud is in the video's description.

Waxhead likes this.
  16. The Box

The Box Gretschie

Feb 9, 2020
    Iran
    Oh thank you very much.

mrfixitmi and thunder58 like this.
  17. The Box

The Box Gretschie

Feb 9, 2020
    Iran
    Thanks. You are very kind to me.

18. ImGoodThanks

ImGoodThanks Electromatic

Apr 28, 2021
    Australia
    The album "Coldfact" is an absolute gem of an album.

The Box and Waxhead like this.
  19. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Great rendition of a great song.

Like many, I heard of Sixto Rodriguez when the documentary was released.
    Great songwriting and great performer.

I Wonder is a gem.

montereyjack66, mrfixitmi and The Box like this.
  20. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Great version sir! Enjoyed that a lot

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.