Singular and plural

juks

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California

I love the first comment: You could go back as far as you like. I've seen movies in ancient egypt, the roman empire and many other older times and places where they spoke perfect english.

(I like this guy but his commercials within the videos drive me nuts.)

I like him too. And fast forward is for commercials. Most youtubers have those, keeps it free for us.

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
I like him too. And fast forward is for commercials. Most youtubers have those, keeps it free for us.

the problem is that I have You Tube Premium, which was sold as ad-free. It’s true there are no You Tube ads but there are these and more are being added.

juks

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
I lived in Germany for 5 years. I had German at school and the company paid a one week crash course before I moved (was amazingly effective). I thought I got this.

I moved to Stuttgart and what they speak there (schwebian) is nothing like 'high German'. For example 'I just wanted to know that' in German I learned is 'Das wollte ich nur wissen'. In schwebian the same: 'des hau ii bloss wissen welle'. No idea if the spelling is anything like that. :)

Most of the technical writers at my company were for some reason from Scotland. You can't understand a word of what they talk.

On one 3 month assignment I hang out after work every day with an Irish guy. Put a Finn and Irish together and lots of beer is consumed. :). At the beginning I understood maybe 30% of what he was saying. After 3 months maybe 60%. After first couple of days I stopped asking 'what?'. If it was important he would repeat. Despite, we had a blast anyway. :)

Runamok

Country Gent
Phonetically it sounds a bit like"Plattdeutsch", indeed.
Plattdeutsch is an ancient local German language that many of our parents and grandparents were able to speak. I can still understand some of it. Frisian is a version of Plattdeutsch, too. It`s an old dialect.
Somehow there is a bit of Netherland`s language in it, too.
OK, I resisted & resisted.

Now I join the fray:
Platt Deutsch would be what is sometimes called “Low German,” a name derived from the flatland landscape, spoken in the north & does resemble Dutch more than High German. I will end there.

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Pennsylvania Dutch (Deutsch) are of German origin.

My grandfather came from Echt in the Netherlands, about 5 miles from the German border. He spoke "German."