*sigh* Got too many again. Need to prune again. I hate this.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by AZBrahma, Apr 19, 2021.

1. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Today I moved the guitars into my new house. The 'music room' - a typical 11' x 11' bedroom - is similar to the music room in the old house. But dragging all those cases in there, I thought....oh man, I have too many again. I need to cut. Before, I had the basement to store cases. Now, no basement. The problem is I have a a roster of great guitars and deciding what to cut is going to be very hard. You guys should help me, because when you read something on the interwebz it's always true and good advice.

Schecter Custom Shop guitars:

- Sun Valley Classic/Sunset Standard: Working man's basic guitar, kinda like a PRS SE. This thing sounds and plays great, I call it my velvet sledgehammer. I would miss it I think.

- California Custom Elite: HH Super Strat thing but with a hard tail. Pretty sure I could get rid of this one and not miss it, though it is a killer guitar. It's purple flame!

- Solo II Classic: I commissioned this one, and it's the greatest 'LP' I've ever played. Irreplaceable and definitely staying.

- Solo Special: Like an....LP Special. So good, don't want to get rid of this one.

- PT Custom: This one is a true unicorn, but I'm not sure I love it. HH, short scale, hollow drop top. Undecided.

- PT Vintage: An unreal 'Tele'. Feather weight ash body, huge baseball bat neck, utterly devastating for percussive finger picking and bends and runs. Thing is I don't play it all that often, but I think I can say this one can't be replaced.

- Traditional Wembley - I think everyone should have a great strat, and this is the only one I've played that can hang with my buddy's original '58. Gonna keep this one.

- Avenger: Out of the box for me. Definitely not typical, but SO good and SO cool. Undecided.

Gretsch:

- G6228, Cadillac Green. I consider it the prettiest guitar I own. It feels vintage to me and I really like it. I'd rather keep this one. Not sure it brings anything groundbreaking to the table, but I really enjoy it and would miss it.

Godin:

- Summit Classic HB: Criminally underrated and an outstanding guitar, but I've got the LP thing covered already. I know it is redundant but I like it a lot.

- Session HT. My always-out player. I could live without it but it is a good piece.

The others are a bass and my acoustic, so those are staying.

So you see my dilemma.....the only one on this list I could replace by pulling one off the wall is the Godin Session, and maybe the Gretsch. Help me!

2. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    You might ask yourself, “self, which guitars do I reach for first? Which guitars have I not played in awhile?”

See what ya answer. :D

3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I agree with @radd . If it’s not selling for money, I’d go with the one I feel the least connection with. And that I play the least, be it for sound or feel. That’s the selection process I always use.

If only they made a shrink ray gun so we could stick them in a drawer. Then enlarge when needed.

ruger9 and AZBrahma like this.
  4. Archtops

Archtops Gretschie

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Keep the ones you couldn’t live without and sell the ones you can. You have several on your list that you mention you could possible move on to another owner. Good luck!

Stefan87 and AZBrahma like this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I’d consider several points.
    Hardest to replace.
    Least likely to get played in the foreseeable future.
    Least likely to sell for what it’s worth to you as an instrument(a $200 guitar that plays and sounds like a $2000 guitar will still only fetch 200 at best). Keep it.

Good luck!

MotorCentaur and AZBrahma like this.
  6. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Without having seen your space, I'll ask: have you thought about trying to find ways to optimize use of space? I built a rack for cases and a rack for guitars. Some guitars that don't get played much but will never leave the herd, and a few that get less play time overall more or less live in their cases. Only one guitar typically stays out on a stand. I thought about building a new version of the rack, floor to ceiling, that would have space for both guitars and cases, but at this time it's not critical as I have a fairly large room. If I added a couple of wall hangers, I'd easily be able to add even more guitars...current herd is 13 and typically 8 or 9 stay out. I only say this because I've reached a point where letting go of guitars is something I'm not keen on doing. It just never feels like you get anything out of it, at least to me.

-m

AZBrahma, new6659, Archtops and 2 others like this.
  7. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    AZB,

Don't quite understand buying...only to turn around and sell.

I can see some seller's remorse coming, which only leads to more buying???

BIB.

Marko60 and AZBrahma like this.
  8. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I impulsively bought too many guitars and the real problem is that I want more, LOL. They're like chocolates, you can't know which you will like until you bite into them. I'm a new learner and bought many just to try them.

Mine are stacked in their cases in the corner of the room and I usually have to move some around to locate the one I want. I always keep one on the couch next to me so I can practice quickly when I want and I switch that one every day.

I am planning to build a (2x4 and plastic pipe) shelf unit, basically just two-tiers of vertical case storage about four feet wide. Nothing really special but with the cases (some with guitars) standing vertically it will be easy to get to each and they will finally be organized and accessible. That should hold 20+ guitars, more if some are in gig bags as a few of mine are.
    I also want to display at least a half-dozen on the wall, staggered to take less space.

As to thinning the collection, you haven't talked about what you play and which guitars give you that sound.
    I've tried to collect many of the standards: a LP with HBs, SSS Strat, SS Tele, Gretsch hollowbody, SG with HBs, 335 clones (Gretsch G2622s), etc. Then some variations like Teles with HS and HH and some guitars with P-90s.
    So I have to rate those I own by how they make me feel, how they play, how they sound and whether that sound is important to me. For example, I could never find myself without a Tele, or Strat, or LP, or Gretsch etc.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    AZBrahma, Archtops and mr coffee like this.
  9. juks

juks Gretschie

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    13 guitars should be doable to fit in a room. If you have any doubt you'd regret, then don't sell.

AZBrahma likes this.
  10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I just went through something like this over the last year. I made a list of what I wanted a small quiver of guitars to include. I then sold a bunch of guitars and bought just the ones I wanted to create the quiver.

I’m almost done

I’m will be down to 6 that I play. I sold another a few minutes ago and I’m in the middle of a Strat build.

I’m not counting two that I have now. One is a wall art acoustic, a guitar I’ve had for almost 50yrs. I don’t enjoy the ultra skinny neck or its bright tone anymore, but it will never go. I have one other guitar that goes up for sale next week, and then I’m done.......I hope..o_O

AZBrahma and Archtops like this.
  11. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I’ve sold about $12,000 worth of guitars on reverb in the past two months. I don’t miss anything I’ve sold, even though I thought I would and most of it was decent stuff. I like having fewer things, although I still have way too much. I’m planning on buying one nice 12,000 - 15,000 (still have some stuff listed) guitar to replace the bunch of 1000-1800 stuff I sold.

AZBrahma, sgarnett and Archtops like this.
  12. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I've been thinning for awhile, but also with a bit of rotation. I already needed to make room for my growing household, and now I've just moved my mother in.

One that I never played was a 69 (I think) Gibson EB0 bass that my father gave me in the early 80s. I couldn't bring myself to sell it, but the bass bug never really bit. The solution was giving it away to a friend who does play and knew my father. Giving it away to a good home was a lot easier to swallow than selling it. Several others may go the same way.

AZBrahma and mr coffee like this.
  13. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz

Love it, great solution with that bass

AZBrahma and sgarnett like this.
  14. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    All very good advice that I would repeat and say what ever doesn't get played goes away.

In saying that in the schecters, I think you could knock it down to one strat type, one PT type and you can sell me your solo special as I am waiting for one of those to come up used forsale :D, problem is they are not very common down here.

AZBrahma likes this.
  15. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Good advice. That is much like what did. One Tele, one Strat I’m building, a good acoustic and one beater acoustic and one LP type, the 6228. I did keep two hollow body Gretschs, a 6120-59 and a 5420. I could not part with those :cool:

AZBrahma and Stefan87 like this.
  16. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    You are so right Radd, between a Strat, Tele, LP/Paf Type, Acoustic and a hollow body of some sort be it a gretsch/gibson/guild etc surely most tones majority of people like could be covered, one day I might end up that way as I'm going to hit 12 guitars soon which at times I think is a bit over board for me.

AZBrahma and radd like this.
  17. juks

juks Gretschie

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Pretty much my story for the past year +. I have guitars in the livingroom, dining room and bed room. I've thinned a bit by trading few to one but that did not help much. Problem is, I like the rest. So just have to keep playing them until I figure out which ones can go.

AZBrahma likes this.
  18. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I wish I had this problem ....... :p

AZBrahma likes this.
  19. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I've only got 8 right now. But 1 has been in the garage for months, because it was replaced, and it's old enough I'm not sure it's worth selling... I'd almost rather give it to someone who wants to learn to play, but can't afford a guitar.

I just decided to sell another one a couple days ago. I wrote down all my reasons/observations, to justify selling it LOL, but really what it comes down to, is this:

1) Does it get played? (just like everyone else has been saying). Even if it's not a "main" guitar, do you derive joy from pulling it out once in awhile? For me, this is my Gretsch. I love the guitar, I'm just not a 16" hollowbody guy at heart. I'm a tele guy. But it's nice having 1 hollow around.

2) is it special? The guitars I keep have to be special. A "merely very good" guitar won't stay. I can MAKE almost any guitar into a "merely very good" guitar, with a few parts swaps and a little elbow grease. But there's more to it: a guitar has to be more than the sum of it's parts, for me to know it's a lifer. I honestly have only 2 guitars like that right now, both teles.

3) emotional connection: maybe a guitar isn't "special" in a "players" way, but you and it have done too many "miles" together to get rid of it. That's valid. I love my old Charvel/Floyd Rose from my hair band days, and I rarely play it, but I CAN'T sell it. Too much history.

AZBrahma likes this.
  20. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    I just went through thinning the herd. I agree, the ones that you don't reach for first and do not have $ value or sentimental value should go first. Be as ruthless as you can. You do feel better in the end, extra cash in your pocket and you can look at getting something later on without the "guilt". :0)

AZBrahma likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.