Shrinkage at my age.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Teledriver, Oct 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Kind of related, getting old sucks. I'm not far from sixty and I feel it.

2. nightchef

nightchef Electromatic

Jun 3, 2021
    Boston
    100x this. The peak (or nadir?) of this phenomenon was punk bass players, some of whom wore their instrument so low that they had to kind of dip their right shoulder to get the pick on the string. (They probably couldn’t reach the G string at all, but that was OK because no self-respecting punk bass player uses more than the E and A strings.)

I always just put the guitar where it felt easy to play, and didn’t worry about how it looked. (I’m a musician, Jim, not a fashion model.) Of course looking cool was always kind of a lost cause for me anyway, so maybe that’s sour grapes.

3. Is this what the phrase “he was a strapping young man”
    was all about?

Its going to change what I always thought I knew.

I was so much older then.
    I am younger than that now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  4. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I play mostly standing up and the position changes per guitar....sometime per material because the pic attack does change with different heights.

I really find great comfort in mostly playing my LPs a bit lower where the strings are around just below belt level. Both hollow-body Gretsches.....low but more off to the side like a gun slinger.

Not caring a bit how it looks, I like playing the Tele high up on a very short leash. I just have a better command of my soloing.....this then leads to way less noodling and more focused playing. Strats are a bit different change a bit going no lower where the strings b'ween pickups are at belt level to other times a few inches higher.

My Gibson Firebird? I just do my best to not fall forward into a wall as the neck dive and banjo tuners "will" one away from the point they started playing!

5. mjm0

mjm0 Electromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    I've always played bass in the more-or-less-correct position all along, even in my punkrock days. Most uncool, i know. So i haven't had to raise it any more as i age, so far. For guitar, i mostly play sitting down, just for me, so i'm not even sure what strap length i really want...

6. This is where retractable security badge lanyards shine!

[​IMG]

7. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    I played a lot of classical guitar early on (nylon strings, all that), and got used to having the neck up around my ear.

Since I was a keyboard player early on, I really wasn't influenced by any guitar player's "look," so I started, and continued, my career uncool.

8. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Gretschie

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    I play seated & then the trick is to not sit on them.

9. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

That's a cheat, they got longer arms than we do.

Runamok likes this.
  10. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Gretschie

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    When you are young you play with your, uhmm, hormones and libido. When you are older you play with your heart. So you hang your instrument in that proximity.

11. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Just a little lower than this guy from Church of Misery.

[​IMG]

mjm0 and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I still feel very comfortable with my guitar slung low.
    But I realised long ago that practicing seated will not make you play the same like standing.
    So I practice most of the time standing up.

13. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Is he playing a whole show like that?

14. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    He does.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  15. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    If he played with a pick, picking on the neck would not sound good. I never played with fingers so can't say if there's a difference.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.