Shrinkage at my age.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Teledriver, Oct 12, 2021 at 7:16 PM.

Tags:
  1. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    I'm no longer cool.
    I can't hang like Jimmy Page, nor Slash, and certainly not like Steve Clark (Def Leppard).
    Sigh...

I've committed to it. It is a done-deal. I've snipped it off.

Talkin' 'bout straps, people.

My nice, soft and supple bison strap from Lakota Leathers has born the brunt of it, and gone from a 53" to a 47".

I hang more like George Harrison maybe, not like John Lennon so much, but I have committed to a higher-strapped guitar.
    Easier on the wrists, and I do in fact stand up straighter when I play. This all came about because I missed playing standing up, and loved this strap, so I had to acknowledge my playing style once and for all, after 30+ years. I just can't hang it low and cool.
    I've been hovering around 71 1/2" in height for years. I am now at 70 3/4".
    Sigh.

I can hear the groupies leaving the building as I type this...

Sigh.

2. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

I have been able to hold the line so far, but then I like the middle of the body of the guitar to be at waist level. I have a feeling that there will be shrinkage down the road for me, too.

4. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I didn't attribute it to age but I started changing up the length of my straps over the last couple of years. I never could understand how anyone played with their wrist all cocked funny to accommodate a low slung guitar so mine never hung that low. I did worry about wearing them like a necktie like those old blue-grassers in the high-waisted pants gathered around a single mic. Now I change them up as needed and have started moving towards straps that can quickly be adjusted. Most recently, I settled on one from Native Sons that I posted about here.

And yes, you did win the internet today. Glad it happened here where I hang out and not some place I have to hear about from a late night talk show.

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  6. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    A singer years ago said that to me, I didn't believe him.....now I do!
    Then again, I think my age has something to do with that too. Carpal tunnel is a bugger :(

Green Hornet likes this.
  7. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    I feel your pain bro!

8. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Roy Buchanan had his strap pretty short, too E7A195C6-0FFA-4C84-ADB1-DF5BAE93EE22.jpeg

9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I am on the small side and I play guitar on the high side so my straps are pretty short. In fact with a dreadnought with the strap attached to the headstock, the strap is almost a straight line to the bottom, looks like a bow with a slightly loose string.

Tele295 likes this.
  10. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

Billy Gibbons plays about as low as anyone I've ever seen. His straps must be extra long.

11. afire

afire Country Gent

I was inspired to take up guitar by the Beatles, not '70s and '80s rock gods, so from the beginning, I was always wearing my guitar medium to high slung. And any time I've tried to play a guitar hanging below at least waist level, I find it practically impossible.

audept and new6659 like this.
  12. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Wow, I hadn't considered Bloomfield and Buchanan. I better work on my chops!!

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  13. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I remember an interview with Buchanan in GP mag where he was asked about the high strap. In paraphrase, he said that he wondered “why Les Paul wore his guitar so high, like a bib, rather than down low and look cool like the rest of us. But he was playing a lot better guitar than we were, so up it came.”

NJDevil, Craig Encinitas and SAguitar like this.
  14. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Hey! I resemble that remark!

I’m 72……

NowEarThis likes this.
  15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I fear my brain is shrinking faster than my body.......:eek:

loudnlousy and NowEarThis like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.