Show us your Relics!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by calebaaron666, Sep 20, 2021.

1. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    I have a road worn tele also but that's buried for now.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  2. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    audept and calebaaron666 like this.
  3. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    love the Jolly Roger tele. Ex-Navy guy, so I'm all about anything piratey. I could watch loops of all the "Pirates of the Carribean" movies in sequence & never get tired of 'em.

And just to be clear, my post was more about the price of relics, not so much the look. Great counter-thread and great looking guitars.

mbkri and calebaaron666 like this.
  4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Thanx! Yeah, I always loved reading about pirates and the imagery is 2nd only to the wild west in my book.

And no explanation needed, friend. Personally, I take no offense to other people’s preferences.
    It is interesting to see how revved up people get about this stuff though. The “relic” topic usually makes for a 20 page thread.
    Same with threads about the new Fender Tone Master amps.
    Oh, I have one of those too!
    :D

Jerzey Bob and mbkri like this.
  5. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    No relics for me but I'll be honest, I've been tempted to go through it with my Electromatic Jet. I really don't like the shiny, glossy finish of the body and the chrome parts.
    If only it wouldn't cost me more than buy another Jet...:)

6. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Some that I've done, it's a fun process. Slowly getting better at it.

IMG_1243.jpg IMG_2867.jpeg light_tele.jpg r1.jpg relic.jpg 122220348_2749785938570908_2440564686068518641_o.jpg

Jerzey Bob, new6659, Waxhead and 6 others like this.
  7. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Love the Micawber!

englishman likes this.
  8. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

Show us your Relics!
    The wife's busy right now....oh, you mean guitars? Sorry, I misread the post.

9. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

Duplicate post.

10. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    It just hit me that I actually have a "legit" relic. Bessie, a late '60's Tiesco Encore. She's the one that started me on the path to Gretschness. Found her in a cheap acoustic case next to the dumpster where I live. Like her namesake, cast aside only to sing again. She's broken, beat up, pups don't work, but she's a lot of fun to play acoustically. She's what I'm teaching myself E standard slide on.

IMG-20210921-01368.jpg IMG-20210921-01370.jpg IMG-20210921-01373.jpg IMG-20210921-01374.jpg IMG-20210921-01375.jpg IMG-20210921-01376.jpg IMG-20210921-01372.jpg

Henry, Jimmy Mongo, new6659 and 4 others like this.
  11. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    My first ever guitar, bought in 1978 when I was 16. Maya EG-2. I didn't like the pick-up covers as they looked like from 50s fridge so I painted them black using model airplane paint. Which of course wore off partially making it relic :).

It has stuck around for sentimental reasons as it's junk. I did upgrade the tuners last year as I noticed somebody had paid $600 in Australia for one of these (local $). Insane, as imo this is not worth more than $40.

Upgrade was story in itself as I came to realize nothing was normal on the headstock. The thickness, the holes for the tuners... but with some drilling I got it done.

20200906_153328.jpg

new6659, audept, Mr Swisher and 2 others like this.
  12. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Tiescos are so cool. I remember when you could find these at any pawn shop for $200. Now they cost a little more.

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  13. afire

afire Country Gent

I don't have any pictures of it, but in 1998 I bought the first relic I'd ever seen, a '51 Nocaster like this:
    [​IMG]
    It was a moderate relic job, and quite honestly, I wasn't looking for a relic and really don't hold a strong opinion on the subject. It was just such a fantastic Tele, I had to have it.

j.s.c, audept, Mr Swisher and 2 others like this.
  14. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    mbkri, Mr Swisher and calebaaron666 like this.
  15. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    calebaaron666 likes this.
  16. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    Raw Sugarpine roasted, toasted, brush and rubbed to just the right flavor by yours truly! (i know I've posted it a zillion times and Rutters guitars actually took the raw kiln dried sugarpine and formed it from the dust of the earth for me). #teletuesday
    rutters sugarpine with moonshine.jpg

Marv666, Jerzey Bob, j.s.c and 7 others like this.
  17. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've only had a couple of factory aged/relic'd instruments.

Road Worn '50s Tele FSR (don't have any pics I'm happy w/ of this one by itself yet):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    JMJ Mustang Bass:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've also gone for thin-ish semi-gloss/satin nitro finishes that somewhat resemble an aged patina on several of my own projects to try to recreate the old worn-in jeans feel & lightly aged the hardware on a couple of them but haven't really wanted to go banging on or pattern sanding the finish or tried to induce checking artificially on them. Not sure if they count (just let me know if you want me to remove them if not ;) ) but here are a few of those, most recent to first:
    Korina Jazzblaster:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    32" PJ:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Booncaster, just completed:
    [​IMG]
    & a couple/few years later:
    [​IMG]
    Closeup of Roberto right after completion:
    [​IMG]
    The Noisy Cricket:
    [​IMG]

Jerzey Bob, new6659, audept and 4 others like this.
  18. LivCo

LivCo Electromatic

Sep 10, 2015
    Chicago
    Bunting Melody Queen. That thing is amazing. Spruce body, super flamey maple neck, oil and shellac finish, and a Mastery trem. The kid’s Fender uke will probably be relic’d when she gets done w/ it. 81C4BD2F-3F25-45EE-976A-794599293E23.jpeg

Marv666, Jerzey Bob and audept like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.