Show us your nuts.

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Noparadise, Mar 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Noparadise

Noparadise Electromatic

Jan 29, 2017
    UK
    My 5420 has a nut that I feel could be improved. It's some sort of greyish plastic material and has sharp edges. I'd like to know if anyone else has felt the need to tweak their own nuts, or which material is the preferred substitute.

The slots don't properly seem to match the break angle, especially for the G string which comes out sideways half way down. Fortunately they are cut - possibly just moulded - to a decent height, though. I suspect that the tremelo might come back in tune better if I bunged some of the lead from my pencil into the slots. Has anybody taken any crude hand tools to grind their nuts down?

2. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Welcome aboard!

Nuts are the first place to check if you're having tuning issues. Fret files or needle files are needed to clean the slots up properly. Pencil lead (aka graphite) is a great lubricant. It's sold as Nut Sauce for guitars. A little goes a long way.

A luthier can swap out the plastic nut for a real bone piece for a decent price, and cut and shape the slots properly.

Noparadise, Mal Belford and audept like this.
  3. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    Third time is the charm. I finally found someone to fix the nut on my Pro Jet. Due to an unfortunate event in the past, I had to lie to him and tell him I was moving from 10s to 11s. But I also had him curve the slots so the strings are gradually directed toward the posts. When I got the guitar back I took off the 11s, threw them away, put on 10s, and voila. The nut no longer binds the strings at all. Of course there's some pencil lead in there, but I had already tried all sorts of lubricants to no avail. There's nothing wrong with the nut material on a Pro Jet.

Noparadise likes this.
  4. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Bone is a good choice, but a G5622 owner here was pretty happy with a Tusk nut.

I have good experience with both, though I don't have an Electro.

Noparadise likes this.
  5. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I've had the best luck with Bigsby equipped guitars using the graphite nuts. My double jet project (pictured) is great. The Billy Bo I just finished hold tune really well.

IMG_7350.JPG

Noparadise likes this.
  6. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    I don't show my nuts to anyone except my wife and my doctor when he checks for hernias.

MTurner and Noparadise like this.
  7. I replaced the stock plastic cheap nut on my G5120 with a bone nut. Much better tuning stability. It really didn't take much time

Noparadise likes this.
  8. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

I"ve tweaked a few nuts over the years.

9. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    These are standard on modern Metal guitars for a reason ;) ... except the ones with Floyd and locking nut.

10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    .................oh my goodness

11. Dave-B

Dave-B Country Gent

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Why so few pictures? It's almost as though you people are ashamed of your nuts.

P2060203.JPG

Zero Glide fret - easy to fit, nice low & even action, no more tuning issues.

thunder58 likes this.
  12. Michiel

Michiel Friend of Fred

Jul 29, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I just had to do a mental double take and switch back to the rear cam on my cellphone o_O

13. Michiel

Michiel Friend of Fred

Jul 29, 2009
    The Netherlands
    [​IMG]

Here's a nice gnarly one - it's the one on my Southern Belle (early 80s model country gent).

The zero fret saves the day. The nut just acts as a string guide. [emoji1]

14. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    :eek:

Despite his preference for black knobs, @markeebee is going for a white one here.

IMG_7351.JPG

Michiel likes this.
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  16. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Mark had a couple 3D printed to see how they'd look. I was using it for practice with the dremel router thingy, you can see the 'oops' on the one corner. They are kinda cool, but difficult to see at any distance. Might make a cool inlaid piece behind he headstock like Fender did with the anniversary medallions.

17. Noparadise

Noparadise Electromatic

Jan 29, 2017
    UK
    Thanks for the responses guys - I almost forgot - here's a pic of mine. I'm tempted to take a grinder to it or just replace it with something. it's OK for action, but it has sharp edges nut.jpg and the way the strings break out at the back bothers me.

18. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    If you fill'm in with a colour the relief will probably pop more.

Sorry for side tracking Noparadise.

19. Noparadise

Noparadise Electromatic

Jan 29, 2017
    UK
    I'd not seen such a thing! Did you fit it yourself?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.