Show me some amps...

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by BobbyMac, Oct 4, 2021.

1. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    I can't believe the number of amps you guys out there have got!!
    I hope this isn't a competition....

Blackface Vibroverb with James B Lansing custom 15" speaker. Got this back in the mid 80's. Have recently replaced electrolytic with F&T caps, some idiot replaced the old blue caps with greencaps, I've since changed them with better ones, not Orange Drops thou.
    Vibroverb.JPG

Left: Early 2000's Limited Edition Custom shop Blues Junior, solid maple cabinet with lacquer finish. This model has the newer green pcb supposedly better than the cream board but I've done the Bill M mods on it and changed the speaker to Eminence Cannabis Rex. It really kicks ass!

Right: Vox AC15HW1X, latest edition bought this new online a couple of months ago, it took a month to arrive! Also did some minor mods to the circuitry but it's just awesome straight out of the box.
    BJ and AC15HW1.jpeg

j.s.c, pmac11, hcsterg and 6 others like this.
  2. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Here's a few:

Fender Vibro King (IMHO the best amp FMIC ever made)
    Marshall JCM-900 cab (the B cabs sound way better than the A),
    Jennings Bass amp with matching 18" Greenback Celestion
    Top Hat Club Royale (the amp that made me put my old AC-30 away)
    1968 Fender Vibrolux (my first amp that a friend of my dads gave me for free)
    Gretsch 6160 (this came with my '57 6120 and is actually a great sounding amp)
    Rickenbacker M-8 (a cheaper version of a Champ)

[​IMG]

1965 Fender Tremolux ($300)
    1971 Marshall 4x12 with original Greenbacks - $400 at GC labeled as a 1980s cab

[​IMG]

1979 Marshall JMP 100 Watt
    199X Soldano SLO-100 in Clapton Grey, which Mike Soldano told me is really rare?

[​IMG]

Mesa Boogie Stiletto. I had a Mesa Boogie endorsement for a couple years. I actually used my SLO behind the Mesa amps but I got this combo from them which is actually pretty cool.

[​IMG]

1949 Fender Deluxe:

[​IMG]

1957 Fender Tweed Twin Custom Shop with 1961 Fender Reverb Unit. The reissue Tweed Twin is an amazingly great amp and used they're a bargain.

[​IMG]

Way in the back that's a one off Matchless based on the DC-30 that I got from Mike Campbell.

[​IMG]

3. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Nice!, I have that same Vox amp, it sounds really great with my 12-string Gretsch. (as well as with my Tele!)

NowEarThis likes this.
  4. DoubleDropD

DoubleDropD Electromatic

Oct 14, 2021
    Denver
    Which one would get along best with a 6120?

Attached Files:

5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  6. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    My one and only ...

IMG_0309.JPG IMG_0308.JPG

bhatta, new6659, pmac11 and 4 others like this.
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Oh, OK... I also have a bunch of amps too ! :rolleyes:

I still not have done a family picture yet, because the family is... Never complete : 4 projects are still lagging... :oops:

Some of them :

The 5-watters dept. :
    [​IMG]

The smallest - nonetheless full tube and 230VAC standalone, like a big one :
    [​IMG]

Now reconverted in an "ad amp" :
    [​IMG]

The biggest :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dual channel plus Booster, FX loop facility, Reverb, all switchable, selectable power 5/15/30/75W, EVM12L speaker, integrated 9VDC PSU with 4 outputs... And 35kg ! :confused:
    [​IMG]

A+!

wizard_23, bhatta, Stencil and 7 others like this.
  8. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
  9. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    thunder58 likes this.
  10. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I like the PC era of Peavey stuff, Pre Courtland Grey. :)

thunder58 likes this.
  11. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Thanks . I honestly bought it for 2 reasons .
    * It has a head phone jack and I'm not only in a small house but the wife JUST LOVES WHEN I PLAY MY GUITAR !!
    * not many tube amps come with a head phone jack . I had a BlackStar HT-5 and that did have a jack . But I wanted to upgrade my amp . In searching I was always interested in the JC models ... now which size . The JC-40 had just come out but was hard to find at the time . I bought it at Sam Ash in Paramus NJ and Mr. Nasty Pants salesmen ( that's right I said it :D and I have some other New Yawk phrases for him too ) almost convinced me to walk out ...but I wanted it .
    I've often said to many folks " if you're going to but a green board amp , go with Roland , it's what they do "

NowEarThis likes this.
  12. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Roland make some of the best stuff out there. The JC was built exceptionally well and reliable.

if only manufacturers of domestic products would take a leaf out of the pages of companies like Roland the world would be a better place!

thunder58 likes this.
  13. Stencil

Stencil Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Gif-sur-Yvette, or the AF lounge
    G'day, eh,
    I've got rid of the really big iron (like my beloved Marshall Vintage Modern stack) because it just takes up too much room, and is a nuisance to take to gigs, but still have a few good and noisy things left...
    The current living room crew:
    IMG_0382.jpeg

A Russian 7W single-ended amp that is delightfully quiet and a 20W Phaez Duophonic -- clean channel is Fender Blackface and OD is Marshall.

The man-cave that I like to call a studio is where most of my noise-making happens, though these days I tend to use 10" Greenbacks as natural attenuators: IMG_0376.jpeg
    A 20W Laney Lionheart that usually gets play in small spaces through one of the 10" Greenbacks in the cab above it.
    A 72W Supro (Zinky) MOFO head. An improved version of the original Zinky MOFO and the last design Bruce released before he sold the Supro brand to the folks at Pignose. Probably the only one in Europe.
    And there's my downsized GAS wall of shame. Apologies for the dust sleeves.
    IMG_0379.jpeg
    Lower left-hand corner, a Yerasov GTA-15, an improved Pro Junior clone, equipped with a 10" Greenback.
    An Orange TH30 head, sitting on top of a 50W Zinky Blue Velvet and a 50W Supro (Zinky) Duosonic (a stereo wet dream). At the bottom is an Orange 2X12 V30 cab.
    A hot pink 20W Ceriatone OTS head, which is my amp of choice for playing out.
    It's sitting on top of a 12" Zinky cab, itself sitting on top of a 60W Prosonic combo.
    Finally, in the lower right hand corner, another cab used exclusively in the studio, equipped with, you guessed it, a 10" Greenback.
    Cheers,
    Dominique.

Attached Files:

NowEarThis and bhatta like this.
  14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    IMG_2896.JPG IMG_2705.JPG

These are the ones that are left.
    More or less "better" versions of the trusty Marshall Super Lead scematic. IMG_2668.JPG
    I`ve been a serious vintage Marshall collector all my life and settled on these .
    They are all 100 watts+ and you can use them even in a small club setting. Yes, that`s true.
    The idea is playing them through a Mesa Rectifier wedge 2x12 pointed away from the audience.
    The Mesa Siletto Trident is used only as a one-channeller in 50 watt mode. Controlled via the guitar`s volume.
    I love to keep it very simple. Usually I work these with a delay pedal and a wha , only.
    I really love that "classic Rock range" that is controlled by the guitar`s volume "clean to sream" and that combinatinon gives it to me perfectly.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    NowEarThis, new6659 and bhatta like this.
  15. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Please leave your addresses keys under the mat and best time to not catch you at home…..

16. wizard_23

wizard_23 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Latest arrival, 1966 Goldentone Reverbmaster 40w. Made right here in Melbourne. Lovely tone.

Fender Tonemaster and Ceriatone Hey What 103 hiding behind.

17103BD6-8B71-4354-A08C-A3A70E751152.jpeg

new6659 and NowEarThis like this.
  17. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    My first amp was a Goldentone, 6 watts, Rola speaker.

wizard_23 and pmac11 like this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    It’s a mess but here is my bedroom set up. Hahaha it seems my loudest amps are next to my bed. In back a Peavey Triple XXX half stack 120 watts gives me a wide range from one of my favorite cleans to country blues and metal etc! I’m Front the Peavey Triple XXX super forty. On 15” extra deep extension cab loaded with a Weber California ceramic speaker. 034B0BC0-2D32-4D9C-A7D7-ED7F1CA9B390.jpeg
    8F12AE25-8915-4046-AA90-78B26FBEEDFD.jpeg And the second picture is a 2x12 loaded with a Weber Blue Dog and Silver Bell ceramic. On top the first batch Vox Nighttrain a seriously great amp has some of my favorite tones, and a Baby Blondeshell from Nocturne a seriously set up bedroom amp on my living area at the moment, hahahha. And beside those a Fryette PS100. The third piece of kit I should have bought when I started with guitars. On the floor a Pignose 7-100 in tweed, it was my little travel amp but SS grates on my ears and nerves after a bit so it gets very little love. And behind it two hybrids, a Joyo AtomiC which sound quite good and gets some power section love when it is put through the PS100 and beside it the Mesa Tiny Terror a fun little amp but mostly a one trick Pony to me and sounds much better through the PS100. And next to the cab is a Peavey JSX mini, an underrated amp that if a person learns to work their guitar tone and volume can really put out a range of sounds. I’m really a tone snob. If I got good offers I would sell both hybrids and the 7-100. Sadly I have tried to sell them a couple times and never even got a nibble. I really never play them. Too many amps for me but I have fun with them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.