Should I trade a vintage Fender Coronado for modern Falcon?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by SDB Guitars, Sep 15, 2020.

Trade vintage Coronado bass for modern Falcon?

1. Keep the vintage Fender, save for a Falcon

49.1%
  2. Ditch the Fender for the Falcon reissue

50.9%
  1. Cass

Cass Electromatic

May 24, 2020
    Melbourne
    I’m going to make some assumptions: that you can ‘feel’ the finite nature of your cash reserves, and that you have a genuine hankering for the White Falcon. If so, swapping sounds like a good option. You’ll lose something that takes up space in the house and gathers dust - ie you’ll lose what (for you) is a burden, and gain something that you will (?probably) enjoy and make good use of. Maybe get some dollars on the swap if you can. A big driver in this line of thought is ‘Life is too short’, in this case, too short to carry something that doesn’t bring you joy while you deny yourself something that will. But your perspective may be different, there may be things I haven’t considered, my assumptions may be wrong. Or I may be wrong. Who knows?

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  2. old mark

old mark Gretschie

Are you a collector or a player? Sounds like that Coronado is taking up space and not much else.
    Get the Gretsch!

Notroger, BuddyHollywood and capnhiho like this.
  3. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    If you don’t play the Fender & want a Falcon.. Do that deal!!! Falcons rule!!!

calebaaron666 and BuddyHollywood like this.
  4. VRomanojr

VRomanojr Newbie

Dec 4, 2012
    West Virginia
    I bought a 1967 Coronado in about 1980 for a couple hundred bucks. Mostly it just sat on stage looking cool as the "backup" guitar. About 2012 I decided to get rid of collectibles and get players. Sold it for $1400 and bought a 1973 Fender Princeton Reverb and had money left over. The Princeton has gone up and the Coronado has stayed about the same. I've sold other cool guitars and pedals for things I would use. My Gretsch RoundUp used to be a bunch of PA equipment I wasn't (and probably won't ever again) use. I'm in the "trade-it" camp!

Groutsch and BuddyHollywood like this.
  5. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    That's a very interesting comment, as Falcons in general pretty much are the high end of the line. It tells me you don't necessarily view that particular guitar as the be-all and end-all of Falcons. You jonesing for that winged headstock?

I'd be, yeah. Absolutely.

I'd probably hang onto the Coronado and wait until I can get the Falcon I really want. You're talking a trade with a 3K value. Not record setting by any means, but a fair amount of cash. If there's anything about that Falcon you view as a compromise, hold off. Don't settle for something less than what you really want.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    BuddyHollywood likes this.
  6. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Electromatic

Jun 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    As a Falcon lover and an occasional bass player I would say it sounds like you already made your money on the bass? Trade up if you like the guitar - hold the bass if you want to watch it grow old with you.

7. ColoCoug

ColoCoug Electromatic

Dec 9, 2011
    Fort Collins CO
    I have a weakness for historic instruments. As a bass player, I don't play my 1970's Univox "Coily" hollowbody very often, but it's beautiful and I don't plan to let go of it. univox ws tilt outside.jpg

From what I've heard the Coronados are not special basses as far as sound, but they just reek of cool.

My vote (with admission that I tend to be a pack rat) is to keep the Coronado, save up and get the White Falcon. I have a Gretsch 5123 hollow, a Thunderjet, and a modified 2220. Who's to say you can't have another bass??

Groutsch likes this.
  8. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    It’s rare to see a White Falcon for less than $2,300 (unless you get STUPID lucky like I did).
    It’s doubtful that they depreciate in value all that much.
    The Coronado bass may be worth the same amount, maybe a bit more, by how often to they sell for the highest prices?

Then again, some of us buy guitars to keep, not because of how much they’ll be worth in resale.:)

JC higgy, Trash Kidd and G5422T like this.
  9. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Have you spent some time with the Falcon yet?

While many like and want a Falcon, some don't get along with them because of the long scale neck, and deep 17" body.

They are a BIG guitar.

Just have to play it and see if there's a connection.

new6659 likes this.
  10. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I had an '04 Falcon like @calebaaron666 for nine years. It was a beautiful guitar, and a great player.

I bought it in '06 for a very good price, and sold it for the same amount in '15. I have a limit set, and if one comes home, one has to leave. The Bird quickly found a good new home.

I did miss it in several ways, but another Bird came into the family a few years later. I traded my 6120LTV for it, and I'm enjoying a BIG guitar again.

20200719_120617.jpg 20200713_171902.jpg

Guess I like Birds!

11. Steveric

Steveric Electromatic

Jun 11, 2020
    Portsmouth uk
    I think it boil's down to what type of sound and player you want to be,
    If rhythm, lead, then falcon or a good 6120 if you really want to play bass,
    keep coronado,
    I know there's people that by guitars just to look at and some never even play
    them, never understood this (more money than sense)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.