Should I trade a vintage Fender Coronado for modern Falcon?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by SDB Guitars, Sep 15, 2020.

Trade vintage Coronado bass for modern Falcon?

1. Keep the vintage Fender, save for a Falcon

49.1%
  2. Ditch the Fender for the Falcon reissue

50.9%
  1. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Do you actually want the falcon? Sounds like it was more presented to you than something you want.

My advice is never buy or trade for something unless you really want it, and don't do it for investment (that's what a 401k is for), or you are absolutely certain you can flip for profit (including all the time you waste doing it).

How Confident are you that you can actually fetch that much for the bass? Price ranges for obscure models are not that useful imo - rare isn't a good thing if it is so rare no one is trying to buy one:rolleyes:. The top price may require listing it for a looong time.

Honestly, if you can't afford a $3000 guitar you actually want, then you can't afford a $3000 bass you don't want. I would list the bass now.

If you do want the falcon, do a trade. See if you can get some cash or other trades with it.

Just my 2 cents.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  2. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I'm in the 'make the trade' camp since you dont play the bass and seem to like the Falcon.
    As mentioned, holding on to the Coronado just because it *might* go higher in the future isn't really an investment strategy. If I read your post correctly you've already tripled your money....take your profit in either the Falcon or cash because it's not going to triple again any time soon.

Groutsch, new6659, Scott and 2 others like this.
  3. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Electromatic

Feb 24, 2016
    Idaho
    I've wanted a Falcon for years, oscillating between wanting a Bigsby or the Cadillac tailpiece. When I couldn't afford one in 2015, I bought an Epiphone Swingster Royale, which is a *very* poor substitute. And I bought the Coronado specifically with the intent of flipping it, but then the price started trending down slightly, so I sat on it. And it *is* kinda cool to think that I own an obscure/rare-ish vintage Fender... would I rather it was an old Precision or Jazz? Absolutely, and if it was, trades would be off the table. But the asking price of this Falcon is 4x what I paid for the Coronado less than 2 years ago, so that seems to be a reasonable profit.

4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, SDB Guitars!
    welcome mat 118.jpg

SDB Guitars likes this.
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Just take some nice photos of the bass to look at whenever you wanna see it, and trade UP!
    Sounds like you've wanted a Falcon and don’t care much about the bass.
    Falcon’s are amazing!
    Except no substitutes!

G5422T and Scott like this.
  6. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    After reading that, I'd say do the trade, like some else mentioned you have already made your money on it so don't look back if it goes, it served it's purpose to you which was to flip anyway.

G5422T likes this.
  7. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    1) Any chance of another bass pic or two?

2) If you have an even greater burning desire than for a White Falcon for VS 57 Duo Jet that's been played maybe 10 minutes since new, I'd gladly do a trade deal for that bass!

I am not aware that the market for anything has moved much since the end of the 2000s (except down in some cases)--the main value is the differential in what you paid and what you can sell for that has existed with that bass since the day you got it.

If it were me such a deal would never happen but then again I wouldn't ever be looking for a non 50s White Falcon either. Either way you are OK.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  8. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    Based on this make the trade. You bought it to flip, and you’re doing quite well financially flipping it for that.

BuddyHollywood and calebaaron666 like this.
  9. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    I almost never buy new gear, so I would sell the bass, buy a gently used Falcon, and put the leftover cash back in the gear kitty. But if you want a new Falcon, of if you dread the hassle of listing and shipping the bass, then go ahead with the trade. There's no telling where the market value of the bass will go in the future, but the bass isn't doing you or anyone else much good sitting around your house.

10. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Electromatic

Aug 12, 2020
    France
    +1! I 100% agree with that advice.

11. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    I believe I've already answered this question. On 60 Cycle Hum's Facebook group. :) And my advice remains the same. There's always another deal. Sell your Epiphone Swingster and buy a G5420 as a start. Keep the Coronado for now. As others have noted, Falcons are highly desirable but much easier to find than Coronado basses, so it's not hard to find a deal.

Stefan87 likes this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Keep the bass especially that it's rare . ( could be your kids college education down the road / retirement money )
    Same up for a Falcon

Hammerhands likes this.
  13. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    That's the kind of bass Geddy Lee would want.

thunder58 likes this.
  14. afire

afire Country Gent

This is kind of what I was getting at earlier. While the assumption that a Falcon will decrease some in value when you drive it off the lot is certainly true, I don't think the assumption that the Coronado will go up in value is. Maybe it will, maybe not. It's speculation and, like knavel, I haven't seen much evidence in the last 10 years or so that vintage guitars are going up in value. Not really down either, but it's been pretty stagnant for a while now.

Then I would say make the trade. Like Henry, it wasn't clear to me that the Falcon was something you really wanted. After thinking more about it, I think what I would do is shop the Coronado around to a few dealers first to make sure you're not undervaluing it. I'd start with Gary Dick of Gary's Guitars. I've sold a few high dollar guitars to him, and in each case, he paid right about what I would have expected to get on the open market.

15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I would not make that trade myself, but i ain't you. I've done stuff like that before and years later i felt dumb.

16. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    a bird in the hands is worth the trade of a vintage bass you don't play.

17. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    If you don't connect with an instrument then let it go. Vintage has got nothing to do with it. The only guitar I would take over a Falcon is a Penguin.

Scott and CaliforniaSlim like this.
  18. afire

afire Country Gent

As much as I love vintage guitars, I would honestly never hold on to one that I wasn't using just because it's vintage.

Scott, Stefan87 and calebaaron666 like this.
  19. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    If you really want the Falcon, go for it. We are about to potentially face some real economic downshifting so I’d do that deal(or sell the Coronado)now while the bass is worth something.

Stefan87, dougmon, Groutsch and 2 others like this.
  20. goodguy2k2k

goodguy2k2k Electromatic

Mar 16, 2016
    Michigan
    Seems like a fair trade now but Coronado will hold its’ value - Falcon won’t. Personally I’d be looking for cash right now.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.