Should I buy this Dreadnought?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by radd, Oct 13, 2021 at 11:22 AM.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Playing guitar
    A 1970’s guitar made in Japan. It is just up the coast from me on Craigslist.

I don’t need it but something about it I really like.. :D

What could that be……?

9B3EE9FF-B41C-4E37-BF7B-F1BED618A81A.jpeg 23A699C1-192F-4C8F-BB4A-CC8AE5567866.jpeg 003EFB52-0C80-47B2-8A58-EA11F0A21CD1.jpeg

2. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
  3. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    70's Martin-ish guitars from Japan can be really nice sounding and playing instruments. But they can also be duds. If you can go play it, you should go with your gut. How much are they charging?

4. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Playing guitar
    There is just something special about it….:D

Conrad

new6659 and section2 like this.
  5. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    You’re the real radd that is just a con rad

6. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

If the price is right, it would be worth checking it out in person. I'm one that likes Alvarez guitars - the feel of the neck suits me, and although it doesn't stack up to my Taylor, if I could only have one acoustic and it had to be an Alvarez, I would be happy playing it.

So, I say if it interests you, go ahead and check it out. And as for a Dreadnaught . . . to me, it's the perfect shape for an acoustic.

Archtops likes this.
  7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Playing guitar

Actually, Rad is my life long nickname. It is short for…..wait for it…Conrad….:cool:

8. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Playing guitar

It is priced what I would say is a bit high for what it is and it is an hour and a half or more away. Not sure it is worth the $ or effort for a guitar with my name on it.

By the way, more than just my name. When my grandparents came over from Switzerland around 1914 they came through Ellis Island and were made to change their last name because it sounded to German. So it was changed to Conrad. My mother gave me her maiden name….

Stock photo of the time period…

E440D22A-8E86-411E-A342-ED95B4E2496D.jpeg

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    All this time we thought Rad was short for radish.

And, no, don't buy it. Save your money for a Guild.

radd likes this.
  11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I don't blame you, I bought a pedal in part because it has my name on it. Check it out and see of it is worth the price.

radd likes this.
  12. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    I’d check it out because you’ll always wonder if you should have. Maybe you’re being guided to it. Make him a realistic lower offer. Go for it. It will be nice to get out.

mrfixitmi and radd like this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I say buy it .......that guitar has your name written all over it :p:p ( pun intended ) ....I'm here all week folks ...try the chicken

MrWookiee, emitex, mrfixitmi and 2 others like this.
  14. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Nice lawsuit Martin IMO

mrfixitmi and radd like this.
  15. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Just saw 2 on Reverb ..not as nice as this one . Go for it

radd likes this.
  16. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I just sold a very nice 70s Dorado dread made in Japan for Gretsch. I compared it to my D-18 and the only diff I could find in the design was a Gibson shaped head and the 7th fret dots. It played just like my Martin, very close to the same sound. It was a fine guitar but I didn’t need another D-18. If it’s in the less than $300 range, I’d get it. Here’s side x side comparison of the D-18 and the Dorado. 000C3108-D4DF-4E04-94F9-29711D5C788A.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 12:26 AM
  17. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    You need to check it out, or do a zoom call to hear it. From what I recall, and this is going back my Aunt gave a Conrad to my older cousin Conrad. My aunt worked at the downtown Wurlitzer store.
    I did lower the action on his about 25+ years ago. It had a big sound, and the neck was fairly straight. There was a label along with the Conrad label from David Wexler, Chicago, they may have been the importing company.

It looked like a Matsumoko designed bridge. Matsumoko used to make parts for Ibanez, and others. My cousin also had a Conrad 12 string guitar. I do remember that both had bigger sound than my Kay.

I wish I could remember more...Like any guitar from that era if it was protected in its case, not stored in an attic, basement or garage, it could be a fine sounding and playing guitar.

Archtops and radd like this.
  18. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    So worth checking out if you have nothing really to important to do, he might be negotiable and it might be a nice trip so why not.

mrfixitmi, radd and Archtops like this.
  19. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    I've got an 80 MIJ Sigma that I got back in the early 80's in trade for an old stand up piano. I've owned high end Martin and Taylor guitars over the years and none have bested it. When I first got it my ears were not as educated as they are now and because it wasn't a big brand name I considered it a cheapo and thought of it accordingly but as time went by my ears finally caught up with the guitar and I began to realize how good this thing really is. For those in the know Japanese acoustics from that era can be legendary. If you've got the ear for it play it and you will know.

1980 MIJ Sigma D10 Anniversary.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 9:54 PM
    J Bird, Archtops, mrfixitmi and 3 others like this.
  20. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Playing guitar
    I never get tired of seeing that beautiful ocean and Island in the background of your “Henderson Nevada” place. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.