Should I buy the old 59VS or G6128T?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by BenedictBrown, Aug 2, 2021.

1. BenedictBrown

BenedictBrown Newbie

Aug 2, 2021
    england
    I'm completely new to Gretsch guitars and have been trying my best to make model changes since Fender took over. I've been thinking a lot about a Vintage Select '59, but am trying to figure out if it's worth the extra premium over the previous used G6128T with filter.

Is the only major difference being TV Jones' stock and body thickness? Are the previous ones heavier?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    IIRC, the VS has the "Vintage V" neck profile.

This may or may not be important to your choice.

Myself, I prefer the V.

NJDevil likes this.
  3. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Welcome to the forum.

I can understand the extra price for the VS59 and it'd be a great jet, some people say there is very little difference between TV Jones classics and HS filters but I hear it, one pick up isn't better in my opinion just different.

I guess it depends on a few individual things but if it was me I wouldn't pass up a great deal on a used G6128T to go after the VS model, not that any of the above is helpful.

4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    The pre FMIC era are way heavier.

5. Ashley1983

Ashley1983 Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    England
    Hi

I have just been in the same predicament as yourself buying my first jet (picked it up Friday) I was after the vintage chambering is this why you are looking in the vintage select series?

if it is I would say don’t restrict your search to just the VS series as I have picked up a TSP and it almost all chambered

In my search I wanted dynosonic pickups and a vintage correct chambered body I would definitely broaden your search

Attached Files:

new6659 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.