Should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by FBAG, Feb 20, 2021 at 7:17 PM.

1. FBAG

FBAG Electromatic

Feb 15, 2021
    Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain
    Hi folks, I'm thinking about buying the Fender Paramount PM-1 All Mahogany Left Handed for 449€/544$ US, totally brand new.

I'm not sure about what to do, I can't try it ( online shop ) but I've been playing the same guitar since 2012 and it's not worth it to refret it.
    (Fender CD- 100 - CE Nat, have to say that it sound really good but I just paid 240 € and refretting it would be around 200€)

There's no many options on left handed guitars and I think that for 449€ it's worth it, don't know if I can find something better for that price, I would like to have time to save money and increase the budget.

I was thinking about the Sigma 000M-15L but i don't want Richlite/Micarta on the fingerboard and bridge
    (trying to find one with rosewood or something )

Help me to get a decisiooooon.:(:confused:o_O

2. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Unfortunately, it is really hard for most of us to advise you on an acoustic guitar in Europe.
    Those in the US like me have no idea what the situation is like for you. Are guitar shops open?
    No idea what shipping across borders is like either. How hard is it to return a guitar you don't like?

IMO it's hard to recommend any acoustic guitar, there's a billion that sound a lot alike.
    Sorry I can't be of any help, just trying to explain why you might not get much of a response here.

FBAG likes this.
  3. FBAG

FBAG Electromatic

Feb 15, 2021
    Well I understand, the situation in Spain is like rollercoaster 2 months good 4 months bad...
    The shop is from the south of Spain , so I think won't be any problem to return the guitar...

I just would like to know more about the construction finish and if it sounds as it should (warm, bright and loud ) or if it sounds like a regular fender...

4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Have you looked at Martins ? Their " Road Series " are really nice

FBAG likes this.
  5. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I'd go to YouTube and search on that model, if you're lucky there will be reviews with sound clips. Or even the Fender website if it is new.

6. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    I have played a Fender Paramount PM-1 All Mahogany in a shop and thought it was a very nice parlour sized guitar, excellent for fingerstyle blues, if the one you are interested in is in good playable condition I would go for it. ask seller to send you detailed pics showing neck action, break angle over saddle etc and ask about return policy.

I will add that I have owned a Martin 00-15m and I thought that the sound of the PM-1 gave it a good run for its money.

Good luck

FBAG likes this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I would never consider a Fender acoustic myself. At that price point I’d bet there are a few alternatives. Even in lefty. Maybe Sire or Dowina, but definitely a Taylor Baby. If you’re set on a Parlour size maybe Recording king.
    Yes, buy at a store which has a good return policy.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021 at 3:11 AM
  8. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    English here:
    Hi,
    I have a Fender Paramount PM-2 since a couple of years. All solid woods, sounds really good.
    PM-1 is not the parlor, PM-2 is
    Maybe you could bid to 400€. You cannot get any better than that for that money. All solid woods. Fishman preamp with tuner, and a hardcase... whats not to love?

Spanish here:

Hola,
    Yo tengo una Fender Paramount PM-2 desde hace un par de años. Todas de maderas solidas, suena de puta madre. Pero yo regatearía para dejarla en 400€, por esa pasta están muy bien. Toda sólida, previo Fishman con afinador y estuche

bhatta, Henry, pmac11 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have to admit those are crazy good specs. I had no idea!

10. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    They are really good guitars.

A friend of mine, he is a really PRO, uses it live on stage. He recommended it to me. I mean, football fields all through Europe and southamerica, 30-40K people gigs and he plays his PM-2 there.

pmac11, Ricochet and FBAG like this.
  11. FBAG

FBAG Electromatic

Feb 15, 2021
    Yes there are a couple of videos by fender and other stores but you know , I think it's worth it to read people's opinions

12. FBAG

FBAG Electromatic

Feb 15, 2021
    English:
    Exactly, that's what I thought , the original price of the Series were between 599€ (standard) and 799€(deluxe) if I'm not wrong.
    The guitar is brand new, the original price is 599€, now its 449€ because an offer I guess ( it uses to happen with lefty guitars ), the all mahogany set are full acoustic, no pickups on it...
    But It's what you say, all solid wood, hardcore, beautiful inlay, humidifier...

Spanish:
    Exacto, eso es lo que pensaba, el precio original de esta serie era entre 599€ las standard y 799€ las deluxe si no me equivoco.
    La guitarra es nueva, el precio original es de 599, ahora esta a 449€ supongo que por alguna oferta ( suele pasar con las de zurdos ) , las que son toda caoba vienen sin pastilla, pero es lo que tu dices, por ese precio, madera solida, estuche rígido, humidificador, marquetería...
    La tienda es Musisol, de malaga creo.

13. FBAG

FBAG Electromatic

Feb 15, 2021
    Yes!
    I was also thinking about the Martin 000 10E, but I would have to wait till October or November to have the money.
    The problem is that my actual guitar need to be refretted ( I can't play and as I said it's not worth it) so a need a guitar ASAP I can't live without playing:(

thunder58 likes this.
  14. FBAG

FBAG Electromatic

Feb 15, 2021
    Also Have to say that I'm a bit worried , this year is the 75th anniversary so maybe they will drop a new series or something, don't know what to do jajaja:confused:

15. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    Being a lefty is hard, I know. Many friends like you.

For me, not having the preamp is a deal breaker. I would say NO even if it is brand new. One of the best things of the Paramount series is the preamp.

[​IMG]

I gig with an acoustic duo and for me, a pickup and a preamp is a must... If it is not a must for you... is a good guitar for the prize. BUT I got mine withe the preamp for 400€ (In Spain)

FBAG likes this.
  16. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Save and order up a left handed Martin 000-15SM. This guitar will hold it's value and serve you well from here on out. Outstanding tone. Buy once, cry once.

17. FBAG

FBAG Electromatic

Feb 15, 2021
    Yeah I know what you mean, but I don't use to do concerts so probably gonna use it for recording and maybe " acoustic sessions " videos.

Also I've been thinking about the pickup and If I need it I would buy a GretschDeltoluxe or the K&K Sound Pure Mini or something like that.

And what a Lucky guy that price is impressive , where did you buy it?

18. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    En gualapó :D Second hand from a pianist who tried guitar for two months but could not stand the pain in his fingers o_O

(A local craiglist or gumtree web)

FBAG likes this.
  19. FBAG

FBAG Electromatic

Feb 15, 2021
    Holy moly jajaja
    I'm thinking to send an e-mail to the shop and ask to pay 400€ for the guitar.
    I know the guitar is on sale since 7 months ago...:rolleyes:

20. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    I am from Madrid. I lived in "El Rastro" (a flea market 450 years old) so I am used to bid and bargain... you know... you already have the "NO"

Nothing bad on trying

FBAG likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.