Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Shielding cans?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Mr. Lumbergh, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Gretschie

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Some of the older hollow Gibbys, such as the 335, had small cans that would enclose the pots, jack, and switch and attach to ground to provide shielding since you can't line your hollow with foil tape as you would the compartment of your Tele. I dug online for a while, but could not find any available for sale that weren't an arm-and-a-leg, pulled from an old Gibby. Stew-Mac didn't have them, no place I saw on eBait did. Has anyone used them when doing upgrades on their Gretsch? Anybody know where a bloke can find them for a reasonable price?

Thanks.

2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    No idea, what do they look like?

Some PC hardware is sold in silver coloured conductive anti static bags(don't confuse these with regular ol anti static bags) I've wondered about using those in hollow bodies.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  3. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Falmouth, Va
    I could kick myself for losing the one out of my 1970 SG. They are not made current, hat I've ever seen. The vintage ones were made otu of thin brass and fit inside the control cavity perfectly. Please, don't make me think about the one I lost all those years ago....

You can use conductive tape, or adhesive copper sheet to shield. They also sell conductive paint that works as well.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Are these what you're talking about?

[​IMG]

The only other option I can think of is to get a Tinwacker to make some. They'd probably be square and a little bulky though. And possibly expensive unless you have a buddy who's a Tinsmith/sheet metal worker.

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Early Danelectros electronics were encased in a stiff copper foil box and used coax cable throughout. Cheap guitars, but the shielding was top notch.

Ricochet likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Could you use cardboard or a wood box and cover with shielding paint or tape?

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Gretschie

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    OK, I won't make you think about it. :p
    I'd putting them in a 5120, so I can't shield the entire thing. That's why I was pondering the cans.
    Yup, those are them. I've had no luck tracking any down that aren't used, and an arm and a leg though.
    Oh well, not meant to be I guess.

9. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
  10. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    If you wanted something to make one out of, you could try searching for cosmetic tin.

Most things are aluminum these days.

These look a little like electrical junction boxes.

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ok I'm going to throw this out there...

But don't the housing of the pots create the shield? And using shielded wire because its a hollowbody is the norm. The only weakness I can think of is the switches and the output jack. For the output jack, I'm thinking a tube shield would work well. The switches might fit in one too, but not sure. Drill/solder away!

12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Synchromatic

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've mostly seen the full trays in Gibsons from the '70s, the original ones I've got actually have a lip that gets sandwiched between the body and the cavity cover and covers the switch area as well:
    [​IMG]
    They are awesome IMO in that, along w/ shielding the back of the cavity cover, they create a pretty much complete cage around all of the components and wiring solder joints aside from the pickups and in some cases the switch.

I'd love to find a new production source for these, they would make for a great solution for shielding although use in hollow/semihollows will obviously require clearance to fit the tray into the body somehow.

13. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Sure, tho that'd be a bit of overkill. Danos version was just a stiff copper foil. I'd use the tape before the paint myself. Just remember to ground the foil.

14. afire

afire Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Wisconsin
    That's a good idea. I have piles of those in a couple of sizes for shipping and storing watch movement materials. I'll see if any of them will hold a pot. I know for a fact that they hold pot.

Ricochet, J Bird and Tinman46 like this.
  15. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Here are some other pictures of them

IMG_0401.JPG IMG_0402.JPG IMG_0403.JPG

Ricochet and BorderRadio like this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Tnx, I've seen the bake form for LPs before, didn't know about the small round ones though. I'm surprised they fit through the F-holes.

nickurso likes this.
  17. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I think I've only seen them in Les Paul's

Ricochet likes this.
  18. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Gretschie

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    You still have exposed terminals on the pots and switch though, even with shielded wire.

19. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Tin is a really bad conducter, Alu is the next best thing to copper.

20. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, I see that now, where the leads stick out on the pot. I have a push/pull on 2 Gretsch boxes--kinda noisy, it could use a little cage. The output jack fits a 12AX7-ish tube shield, maybe stuff some foil on the other end, or leave it open, will be better than nothing at all.

IMG_3078.JPG

21. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Gretschie

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    It doesn't matter if it's a bad conductor if it's a decent RF shield though.
    That's a thought. Those cans for lip balm someone posted are an idea too. I'm just surprised you can't get shielding cans any more.