Shadows Reunite 2020 & the Story of Apache

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jul 28, 2020.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    From the "Shadows at 60"documentary.

Here's the full documentary:

As a bonus, Hank joins Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler to. play Going Home (Local Hero) at Wembley 1985.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Groutsch, JC higgy, sgarnett and 7 others like this.
  2. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    saw this a couple of months back; my only complaint was not enough about jet. (what can i say, i’m a bass vi guy.)

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Great concert clip. The Shadows are a treasure that were all but unknown in the US. I knew that they existed, but had no idea of what they played or how important they were in the UK music scene.

Hank Marvin's playing is extraordinarily good. His use of the Strat vibrato is top notch. He has an amazing degree of control with a vibrato that requires a deft touch. I've worked on that sound and it is possible with a Bigsby (at least with a Chet arm), but it takes some effort to accomplish. And he has not let his playing fall behind, over the years. He's grown as a musician.

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Love The Shads,thanks Dad!

drmilktruck likes this.
  5. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    Thanks for posting

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Funny I was asking @LA Miles last week about playing Apache. I'll need to make time to watch that documentary!

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I've been a Cliff Richard's fan for over 40 years. I didn't know the names of the guys from The Shadows but always liked their instrumentals. I didn't realize that Bruce Welch was in the Shadows but knew his name from two of my favorite Cliff albums and the singles "We Don't Talk Anymore" and "Devil Woman" - both great songs.

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    This was my second album I ever owned. I bought when it was released! Glorious Mono! :cool:
    the Shadows album cover.jpg

drmilktruck likes this.
  9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I should also note that in 1966 The Shadows played at Beatty Park Swimming Pool in Perth, West Australia. I was the lead guitar player in the opening act before them. They played to a 10,000 seat venue with just Vox AC30's unmiked to the vocal-only column PA system.

10. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Great! I love that, always loved the surf/instrumental music of this era, and of the eras that followed, but when it was less popular.

And ... side notish ... most of their music initially was released on mono records, at least in continental europe, which shines a bit of a light on how far technology went in not even one full life span of the only animal known to use technology that exceeds the very basics.

And I love them in Mono, in Stereo and in everything else. I have a CD where a lot of their singles are on, in both versions, so I could compare and Mono actually sounded better in the car I was driving then (Grandpas C 240 - don't have it anymore), because when something was on the right side, the driver only heard the noise the car's body made at 140 mph. Which isn't very musical, not even mooseekish.

Very nice driving music, too (at least the stuff I know ... don't like listening to stuff I don't know while driving).

I wasn't aware of the documentary, so ... thanks for posting!

11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    A number of years back, I was scrolling through some forum or another, reading a thread about AC-30s. Some young firebrand decided to try to impress us by explaining that he didn’t waste his time on “practice amps”. Obviously, he’d never even seen an AC-30. I don’t know if that wattage rating is exceptionally conservative, or what, but the AC-30s I’ve played could probably give a Twin a run for its money, when it came to sheer volume, and IIRC, they weigh about the same as a Twin. Practice amp, indeed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.