Setzer Article in Guitar Player

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
I thought rockabilly and the advent of Chet was more contemporaneuous, rather than sequential, no? Most rockabilly players can't play like Chet. And doesn't finger picking have roots that very much predate Chet or rockabilly such as classical and many folk and blues artists?

Duo Slinger

Country Gent
Sep 11, 2020
California, USA
I thought rockabilly and the advent of Chet was more contemporaneuous, rather than sequential, no? Most rockabilly players can't play like Chet. And doesn't finger picking have roots that very much predate Chet or rockabilly such as classical and many folk and blues artists?
Yeah, but my guess is he's referencing Scotty Moore and Cliff Gallup who had Chet as a major influence.

Shock

Gretschie
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
I am a rocker that plays rockabilly. Real rockabilly guys would say that I am not doing it right. Probably why I am more of a psychobilly/punkabilly player. Probably what he means. I ain't doing it right.

AndreasG

Electromatic
Dec 20, 2021
Italy
I think he‘s right. I play moytly southern rock and feel to do quite well, but after getting my first Gretsch I try to play Rockabilly and have a hard time, especially getting in the „mindset“ or „logics“ of the style, to say not just playing one learned lick after another but understanding the style. But it‘s real fun and broadens the horizon quite a bit

Sabato

Country Gent
Mar 22, 2019
Massachusetts
I've already read that 5 years ago. Same questions and answers. Perhaps same record with different titles and cover. Ok, that could be me.
It occurs to me that a creative interviewer could be well up to speed on their subject and the history of their past interviews and bring out some fresh new and interesting material.