Serious Mistakes in my Introduction to Gretsch Guitars

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Gretschmen65, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Texas
    Not sure if it has been brought up, but the Gretsch Tennessean and similar models are just more comfortable for me to play. Strats and LPs are too small and too heavy for me, I just can't handle them. The Tennessean mimics my acoustics in size, relatively speaking, and it just makes playing easier and more enjoyable.

sanhozay likes this.
  2. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    My comment on Chet was as I and my band mates saw him, through the eyes of teenage kids. As a Grandpa now I can appreciate his ability but still can't think of a tune of his I'd bother to learn.

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There's no one guitar that suits everyone. The world would be a seriously boring place if it was like that. Find what works for you, and have fun with it. Nice thing about Gretsches is that there is so much variety you'll likely find one that works for you.

Rmccamey likes this.
  4. beep.click

beep.click Country Gent

Apr 30, 2009
    California
    I got into Gretsch because of the Monkees. Which, in retrospect, is absurd. Based on what was actually used on the records.

I bought my first pro line model because the sales guy handed it to me, I plugged it in, and it sounded exactly like Clarksville. Never mind that that record was a Telecaster. The important lesson in that for me was, if you like what you are hearing live in the room, go with it.

I agree with those here who have said it’s not about finding a brand. It’s about finding a good example of the brand. I have better luck with Gretsch in that respect, and pretty miserable luck with fender.

Rmccamey likes this.
  5. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Gretschie

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    Does Chet sound like a Gretsch, or like Chet.
    exhibit a:

GlenP and Gregor like this.
  6. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I love my gretschs and the brand in general but if we are talking versatility, then yes they are but If I could only have one guitar for a jack of all trades I'm grabing a tele.

scrimmer, GlenP and Gretschmen65 like this.
  7. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Well, can't argue with those. I've got a '65 DRRI myself and my prolines all sound great thru it.

Sorry your Gretsch experience hasn't been what you hoped for. Good thing there's other brands to buy instead. There's something for just about everybody out there, all ya gotta do is find it.

8. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    I bought a PRS Santana, I bought the Mark I , I learned Black Magic Woman and a few others, I sounded like Santana, but there was no band backing me and I can't sing either. Sold the MB amps and kept the guitars. I was a studio musician, I can copy most tones, but not the feel. That's why I collect the guitars and play "grandfather music". I am a grandfather many times over.

9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The only person in the world that matters plays Gretsch . . .

YOU!

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  10. Gretschmen65

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    I appreciate that. And, my thread was not intended as criticism.
    I am aware that many new forum members are inspired by celebrity players who use Gretsch. Many start out on less expensive guitars but aspire to a Proline Gretsch.

I was fortunate to start with the G6120T with Filters and then to a G6128TDS with Dynasonics.

I am now more than happy with my G5220 and discover that the sounds from the BT Broadtrons are to me different enough from my Telecasters to provide real enjoyment
    and contrast with my Telecasters but still retaining clarity and sparkle in that clean to near breakup area I like and always employ.

Moral of the story for new players; you don't necessarily get better with the more expensive Proline series - maybe just closer to a tone you have heard in the past.
    The other thing is, I do not like the Bigsby in any form - I guess that was part of the "mistake ".

11. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Man, if you don't like Bigsby, Gretsch is not for you... ;)

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  12. DasherF

DasherF Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    Being cynical, buut...Spock, explain...

13. DasherF

DasherF Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    But Turkey's don't..... (WKRP reference, in case that "flew" over anyone's head...see what I did there?) :)[/QUOTE]
    ...hmm...cute, boss, cute! (Great episode, BTB...)

Tele295 likes this.
  14. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Wasn't it Abraham Lincoln who said that?

RG7X likes this.
  15. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Just take the Bigsby off and install a trapeze tailpiece. Problem solved.

16. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

My 5220 has more “attitude” than my big Gretsch hollowbodies, which pleases my tele w/Barden lovin’ heart.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  17. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Attached Files:

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  18. Gretschmen65

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    No, there a plenty of lovely Gretsch guitars without a vibrato arm.

I am actually really enjoying my new G5220. I'd put these into a 6128 but who needs to when you can buy the G5220 for the price of two old fashioned Dyna's. ;)

19. Gretschmen65

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    It's sold. But, I did what George did. Left it hanging vertical. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.