Seltzerado and Fez alert

Sabato

Country Gent
Mar 22, 2019
Massachusetts
mid summer it will go on sale :) :)
The Oxford English Dictionary defines midsummer as "The middle of summer. Specifically, Midsummer Day (24 June), the day of the summer solstice (21 or 22 June), or the period around this."
Shakespeare deserves a fair share of the blame as well, since the term "midsummer" would likely have exited our lexicon by now if not for his play, "A Midsummer Night's Dream," a cultural touchstone if ever there was one.
"Midsummer was originally a pagan holiday having to do with the longest day of the year," says Paula McQuade, professor of renaissance literature at DePaul University. "Shakespeare was referencing a festival having to do with sex and merry-making and lust."

In reality.... August 7th is the official midpoint of summer....

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
The Oxford English Dictionary defines midsummer as "The middle of summer. Specifically, Midsummer Day (24 June), the day of the summer solstice (21 or 22 June), or the period around this."
Shakespeare deserves a fair share of the blame as well, since the term "midsummer" would likely have exited our lexicon by now if not for his play, "A Midsummer Night's Dream," a cultural touchstone if ever there was one.
"Midsummer was originally a pagan holiday having to do with the longest day of the year," says Paula McQuade, professor of renaissance literature at DePaul University. "Shakespeare was referencing a festival having to do with sex and merry-making and lust."

In reality.... August 7th is the official midpoint of summer....
I always thought a party on a solstice or equinox was just fun. How do these people know they were pagan holidays and not just fun parties? Was it documented as such somewhere? Just curious not trying to be combative.

Sabato

Country Gent
Mar 22, 2019
Massachusetts
I always thought a party on a solstice or equinox was just fun. How do these people know they were pagan holidays and not just fun parties? Was it documented as such somewhere? Just curious not trying to be combative.
Yeah, I was trying to find the actual middle of summer and what came up on Google was all of this stuff about an historical holiday at the solstice which one would hardly think was mid-summer. The stuff I quoted was from https://www.chicagotribune.com/life...ribu-words-work-midsummer-20110622-story.html but there is a lot out there!!!

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
If I start a pre-sale and get 25 ordered, I can go forward with it.. my circuit designer wants to be paid upfront, so its always this methodology to make small batch projects take off.

Runamok

Country Gent
RectangularScalyHeron-max-1mb.gif
Most people don’t get much facial aerobics.
This removes crepey forehead wrinkles.

I’m tired just watching.

Runamok

Country Gent

Attachments

• 2D03B2C4-0BEE-4674-B958-51D77B406150.jpeg
    2D03B2C4-0BEE-4674-B958-51D77B406150.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 0