selling my gretsch players edition here in sweden, the store has this 1965 corvette, any good?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by GOOBALL JEFF, Jul 12, 2021.

1. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Synchromatic

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    tittle says it all, I sometimes travel three ours into Stockholm to check out this amazing place and I noticed they have this very nice looking corvette for sale, is this a good version of the corvette? £1 408,00 which is less than what they have offered me for my brand new players edition. IMG_1280.jpg IMG_1281.jpg

loudnlousy and j.s.c like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Nice guitar but I know not much about this model

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    That’s a 6132 from 1963, the second version of the Corvette with the SG style body and 3x3 headstock. The bridge isn’t original. Looks to be in very good condition. I had a 64 model, which had the 2x4 headstock. Great fun guitar, although I thought the HiLo didn’t work as well in a solid body, so I swapped it out for a SuperTron. Others here disagree. I can’t comment on the price exactly in Europe but the Blue Book says a mint condition model is worth $950 retail.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  4. GOOBALL JEFF

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    $950 is very little money? what they are asking for in dollars is $1 948,76

5. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Things are different where you are as far as pricing, thats probably right, try to find another one. As for the guitar, i had one just like it and really regret letting it go, great guitar. If you don't get on with the HiLotron pickup you could put any TV tron in there you want without permanent modifications.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  6. GOOBALL JEFF

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    crazy as it sounds I don't really care what guitars sound like as long as the output is right, it's all about looks the lack of fret buzz and neck size for me.

7. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The HiLo has a great tone to me, i love them and so did a bunch of Tenny playing guys in the '60s, they have a much lower output than most people are used to though, don't really matter if its the only guitar your playing all night but if you switch guitars alot you will have to adjust your amp, or just use a good boost on the Vette. Like i said thats a great guitar thats definitely worth spending some time with, you may love it.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  8. GOOBALL JEFF

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    I'm using lipstick tubes at the moment it don't get much lower output than them and I love the sound.

9. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Right in the same range.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I understand Euro prices to be quite a bit higher than US. The most recent Corvette sold on eBay for $1295, although it was the two pickup version.
    The last one on Rwverb went for $1125.
    I assume this is the guitar you're talking about:

https://reverb.com/p/gretsch-6134-corvette-cherry-1964

GOOBALL JEFF and thunder58 like this.
  11. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    Well, price range is very different in Europe from US.
    Last week a friend of mine put on a marketplace over here the very same guitar, a ‘64 model with the 4x2 headstock, all original, with Burns vibrato, with original case, for 1490 euros.
    That’s the way prices go over here.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  12. afire

afire Country Gent

The price is definitely way high for the US, but could be entirely reasonable retail in Sweden.

In addition to the bridge being replaced (and presumably having required drilling for bridge studs), the tailpiece is likely not original. Stock for these was a shorter Kluson trapeze. But they were used on a ton of US budget guitars, so they're out there if it irks you. Here's an example with the original wood base floating skinny bar bridge and Kluson tailpiece:
    [​IMG]

drmilktruck and GOOBALL JEFF like this.
  13. GOOBALL JEFF

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    yeah that's the one, so the price is ok really

14. GOOBALL JEFF

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    look's like it's intonating correctly so the new bridge is an upgrade in my opinion

15. Mojoman

Mojoman Electromatic

Jan 14, 2019
    Gardena, ca.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  16. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I used to own at least 6 vintage Corvettes (model 6132 with only one pu at the bridge). When I found a better one I used to sell the one before it.
    These are very comfortable guitars. Light as a feather with incredible upper-frets access.
    There were very different neck profiles over the years (from skinny to ultra fat).
    The pickup has a very sweet and detailed quality to it. The lack of output can easily be compensated by a boost or by using an amp with higher gain.
    Obviously the prices took a serious upswept during the last few years.
    My cheapest Corvette cost me USD 450 and the most expensive was USD 800 (which I still considered to be fair in 2010).
    I really miss my Corvette.
    In 2019 a 6132 was offered for EUR 600 over here. I pulled the trigger and lost my money on a fraud. The guitar never arrived and the police gave up on the case.
    Nevertheless: These are very underrated guitars that could grace every guitarist`s collection.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  17. Mojoman

Mojoman Electromatic

Jan 14, 2019
    Gardena, ca.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  18. Mojoman

Mojoman Electromatic

Jan 14, 2019
    Gardena, ca.
    I agree with wildeman and others about the benefits of corvettes. Underratted now, but people are getting it. I had a 61 for years with one hilotron, and i love those pickups. Like they have said, you can compensate for low output by the amp, and what i did- raise the polepieces closer to the strings. When i would go to the corvette after playing a strat, i would up the bass and volume a tad. Dont sell the hilo short!

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.