Seeking advice on a pickguard for G5129

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Andrew Griffin, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    Hi All: I'm not much of a "modder," mostly because I'm not super crafty, but I'm getting my feet wet by fixing up a beat up G5129 I bought used. A previous owner removed the pick guard- and kept the screws. I'm hoping that the screw holes aren't stripped out. I'd like to put a pick guard on, mostly to cover up the holes. I'm not a big fan of pick guards otherwise and feel like they detract a bit from the clean lines of the body and F holes. I especially don't like the black pick guards I see on photos online of stock G5129s. So I'm looking for a clear pick guard, I guess. Any suggestions on a good source? Are the cut out dimensions to fit nicely with the pick ups different for a G5129 than for the more common G5120s. Thanks for any advice. Pix when I get the guitar back from the tech. I'm having the guitar set up and getting a new tailpiece installed.

section2 likes this.
  2. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    mike at quickguards did me quite right in two guitars with dyna sized pickups. highly recommended

section2 likes this.
  3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Those do look real nice sans guard.
    Here’s old one.
    FA63C244-1E1B-4949-97DC-F02D33424977.jpeg

It’s a tricky size guard. Best to have someone here trace their’s for you and then hire someone like Quick Guards make you a new one.

4. Zeek

Zeek Country Gent

May 29, 2016
    Illinois USA
    Wrap thread around a earing and shove it in the hole.
    Show of that body.
    20191021_194442.jpg 20200822_110813.jpg 20200822_110824.jpg 1605063426527.jpg

5. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    The horseshoe earring is brilliant. I love it!

I'm a big fan of clear pickguards. Mike at Quick Guards does excellent work, but if you're handy with design software like Inkscape or Illustrator, it's not hard to make your own custom guard. There's a company called Ponoko that does custom laser cutting and engraving. You create the template in your design software and send them the file, and they send you the finished product. Trophy shops and those engraving kiosks at the mall can probably do it too. There are even some public libraries with laser cutters on site.

Here are two clear guards that I made. I ordered the first one from Ponoko and then filled in the engraved portions with white acrylic paint.

IMG_20200916_124558.jpg

The second one was a little more complicated. I made it with the laser cutter at my local library, and then did the roundover edge with my router and a blowtorch. I'd never used the torch before, so there was a bit of a learning curve there, but I got it figured out in an afternoon. It's not hard once you get a bit of practice in.

20210923_221428~2.jpg

If you're interested in the DIY route, PM me and I can send you the template files that I use. I don't know whether they'll match the size and shape of a 5129 pickguard, but at least the logo would be useful.

6. CKC411

CKC411 Gretschie

Jan 20, 2018
    Florida, USA
    So you have seen one of these guards? I can't seem to get any response to either test his claim of having guards for all model guitars, so I could not just order a stock item. I have tried several times in the past three months and last week tried to send a text and leave a message. I went from wanting a bunch (for my shop) to just wanting one, by Christmas. It is now too close to his 2-month lead time now posted on the top of his website. I certainly could not recommend him from my experience. If he is experience supply chain issues, like everyone else, you would think he could benefit from demand with a combination of pre-orders and offer available stock with reasonable delivery times and a discount or he could do one of 100 positive things small businesses do when they find themselves in this type of boat.

7. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    i own four, all custom made for me: two pickguards, and two truss rod covers. mike was wonderful to do business with both times, and his work was perfect. very high attention to detail and making sure i got what i wanted.

8. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Gretschie

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
    Another vote for Mike at Quick Guards. His work is top quality.

9. Dostegrar

Dostegrar Country Gent

Nov 5, 2013
    Delta,b.c.
    I just ordered a clear lefty guard for my g5420lh. Never liked the silver ones.
    In my haste, after placing the order I realized the company is in Ireland. I'm in Vancouver, B.C. Canada.
    Might be awhile before I see it.

10. Dostegrar

Dostegrar Country Gent

Nov 5, 2013
    Delta,b.c.
    Wow. My clear pickguard just arrived in 6 days from the uk to western Canada and it looks spot on.
    Took 2 1/2 weeks to get one from Washington state, USA, just a stones throw across the border from me.

BrianW, Andrew Griffin and section2 like this.
  11. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Hey, that is great delivery service!
    Well done. Unfortunately the slow delivery from WA doesn't exactly come as a surprise; I have had numerous items delivered in a week or less from Europe, New Zealand, the southern States etc (that is from a number of different companies, naturally) Didn't always go that fast of course, but when it takes 3 weeks to get a simple letter from around the corner to my mailbox at times anything less is a bonus!

cheers

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.