Scarf joints

Humpblock

Electromatic
Jan 28, 2020
Australia
I’m guessing all Streamliners have scarf jointed necks, my 2420s do. What’s your thoughts? I’ve known guys to dismiss them as sign of a cheap guitar. Reckon they don’t sound as good due to the join. But Strats and Teles sound fine with bolt on necks. I reckon it’d be impossible to tell the difference, what do you reckon?

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I favour "one piece" necks but fully understand that due to budgetary constraints of cheaper guitars(say sub $500 category) manufacturers need to make'm with scarf joints. Reckon it also safes quite a bit on trees.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I could see where some might think the neck might not vibrate the same if it were multi-piece instead of solid wood but who can tell any difference?

I truly believe in not being wasteful of any natural resources (and recycle everything I can) so I think joining many pieces of wood is a great idea.
Look at the neck, for one piece they would have to carve away probably 75%. Many these days join the headstock (usually 3 pieces with a center and 2 wings) to the straight neck that has another block added at the heel. Much less wasteful.

I learned 50 years ago in HS shop class that most wood joints are stronger than the surrounding wood.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
There's different scarf joints out there. One that aim to strengthen neck/headstock joints are ok.
The ones that basically make your neck a 2-piece around the 4th fret are not (in my book).

My GFS Xaviere:
1660451846023.jpeg

Last edited:

Stingray70

Electromatic
Oct 18, 2021
Michigan
I used to be really turned off by a guitar with a scarf joint but after after owning several that had them, including a couple Gretschs, and never having a problem with any of them I don't mind them as much anymore. Now, once a guitar's price starts getting in the $750 to $1,000 price range and up I'm less understanding and accepting of a scarf joint.

Stingray70

Electromatic
Oct 18, 2021
Michigan
There's different scarf joints out there. One that aim to strengthen neck/headstock joints are ok.
The ones that basically make your neck a 2-piece around the 4th fret are not (in my book).

My GFS Xaviere:
View attachment 187334
Sorry about your guitar.... That doesn't look too healthy. Is it still playable like that?

A few years back I tried to buy a GFS, Xaviere LP clone just to leave at a friends house so if we felt like jamming on the spur of the moment or if some of his old band friends should drop by I would have something to play. I wound up ordering and returning several but never did get one that the quality was good enough to keep. Which is another reason that I'm so impressed by the Gretsch Streamliner guitars that I've bought. For roughly $125 to $175 more the quality is very good, absolutely night and day difference.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
Just to add to the conversation, the Fender Player HSS Strat on the couch next to me has a one-piece neck. I was surprised to see that.
Paid $800 two months ago, the neck has beautiful grain and a smooth thin satin finish, probably the best of any guitar I own.
Normal (not huge) headstock, naturally no heel and that board must have been 5" wide to make a one-piece neck that is 1.69" at the nut.
And that is OK with me, maple is sustainably farmed here in the US.
Fender Strat Ebony2a.jpg

Last edited:

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Sorry about your guitar.... That doesn't look too healthy. Is it still playable like that?

A few years back I tried to buy a GFS, Xaviere LP clone just to leave at a friends house so if we felt like jamming on the spur of the moment or if some of his old band friends should drop by I would have something to play. I wound up ordering and returning several but never did get one that the quality was good enough to keep. Which is another reason that I'm so impressed by the Gretsch Streamliner guitars that I've bought. For roughly $125 to $175 more the quality is very good, absolutely night and day difference.

I glued it back together, strung it up, and donated it to a buddy who just plays cowboy chords. :)

It’s amazing the margins these manufacturers (are able to) operate in.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I'm thinking greasy spoon diner with good pie.
I love greasy spoon diners. My Dad said that if you're in a strange town and want a decent but not overpriced meal, look for a place where the mailmen, tradesmen, city workers and such are parked. I like the atmosphere of no pretension. As a kid, there was a place nearby made from an old railroad dining car (not one of the diners that resembled them---we had a couple of those as well) called Chili Mac's. There was also a chain of local diners called G&H (Gag and Heave). The one local one here near Purdue is XXX Root Beer---featured on an early episode of Guy Fiero's Diner show. Diners are American classics.