Saw Setzer Last Night - Review

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by drmilktruck, Nov 16, 2018.

1. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Haha I bought that shirt. I'd definitely check them out again if they're in the area.

thunder58 likes this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    DANG ! that's nice . Hope they got'ed when I see him next week . I definitely want one , thanks

3. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    FWIW they also had them in red.

4. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    Nice review! Seeing the Christmas Show is on my Bucket List. The piano player is likely the same one Brian had on his Rockabilly Riot tour. Played piano as well as a acoustic Rancher. I can't remember his name and I am currently in Puerto Vallarta so I can't look it up.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    drmilktruck likes this.
  5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I'm sad. Third year in a row with no southern Ontario dates...

6. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    Sad as well, they came to Bellingham Wa at the end of the tour last year. Missed that one but no where close this year. Will have to fly to California to see them next year.

7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    In years past it seemed like he played as long as it took to exhaust the audience and the band. Now days its a recipe mix that works, and reviews his main hits of the grammy era. I'd love to see him take chances and take us on a journey to what moves him in his spirit these days. After all, the true fans are the ones following him at this point in his career.. New people showing up in christmas sweaters and silver hair really dont know his back catalog anyway, they just want christmas spirit w a big band led by a swell crooner.

drmilktruck, RG7X and ruger9 like this.
  8. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Wife & I have been seeing this show for like the last 10 years, but the last 2, he has also skipped our local :( Next year, I guess if we want to go, we will have to resign ourselves to a longer drive, possible a hotel room, and get a dogsitter. IDK why he won't play our local anymore (State Theatre in Easton PA)- he always sold the place out.

His openers on these tours never did much for me. With one exception: Firebird Trio. They were FANTASTIC.

Henry and drmilktruck like this.
  9. PDMan

PDMan Electromatic

Dec 26, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    I have tickets to see him at the Ryman in Nashville a week from Sunday. As a proud owner of a Setzer 6120 Nashville, has anyone noticed that he never has dice on the volume knobs anymore?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    If you offer him a deal, Setzer says, "No dice." :D

PDMan likes this.
  11. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I want to hear him cover Dean Martin’s “Cool Christmas Blues”

12. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    He did cover this Dean Martin tune (with Ann Margret no less!)

I do like your suggestion too:

Tele295 likes this.
  13. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Has Setzer done “I’ve got my love to keep me warm”?

14. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    It’s near impossible to get tix to the BSO in Portland. They’re sold in blocks to brokers who control the prices. I’m sure there is criminal activity involved. Like Springsteen did with his concerts, Setzer needs to get a handle on this.

drmilktruck and PDMan like this.
  15. PDMan

PDMan Electromatic

Dec 26, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    I like to never got tickets to the Ryman show. I finally got seats in the nosebleed section. I got into the Sirius presale literally one minute in and couldn’t get tickets. I’ve never had as much trouble getting tickets to a show as this one.

16. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    That's just wrong if that's true. Greed...

17. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Setzer. The only reason I’m playing a Gretsch! However now I’ve discovered how diverse these guitars can go. Love Brian Setzer!

drmilktruck likes this.
  18. peterjcb

peterjcb Gretschie

Nov 28, 2017
    USA
    I have my ticket for this coming Saturday night in Charlotte, NC...I've never been to one of his concerts and really looking forward to it...

drmilktruck likes this.
  19. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    You won't be disappointed. I like how the sound at his shows is balanced and doesn't bust your eardrums plus the talent is out of this world.

peterjcb, Lionpotato and drmilktruck like this.
  20. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I've been lucky to see him several times from great seats - close enough to watch him play and hear directly from his amp. He is just amazing to watch, a real virtuoso, and his tone is just hair raising. My favorite is probably the Nutcracker Suite.

peterjcb, drmilktruck and Lionpotato like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.