Saddle buzz on my 5230T

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by TomK, Aug 25, 2021.

1. TomK

TomK Electromatic

Nov 18, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Guys I am getting a buzz from one or two saddles on my 5230T. It appears that the screws are moving away from the saddle. This is causing a buzz or rattle. I would really like to change out the bridge to a roller style. From what I have read, there are no drop in ones available. Replacement bridge needs some modifications. Any ideas my dear friends?

2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Go with a bar bridge.

TomK, ZackyDog, Outlaw and 3 others like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Get some clear nail polish and lock the saddles for the time being. Roller bridges suck.

capnhiho, G5422T, j.s.c and 1 other person like this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Tru-Arc or Compton bar bridges. Install one and never worry about it again.

Outlaw, TomK and dmunson like this.
  5. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    If you want to stick with the stock TOM bridge from Gretsch: Get some BLUE Loctite, and gently apply it to the threads of the bridge saddles. Sha-boom... Problem solved!

Do not, repeat... DO NOT... use the RED Loctite... That %*#^ is freakin' permanent!! :eek:

TomK and section2 like this.
  6. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Electromatic

Aug 16, 2019
    Austin
    I put the green Loctite on mine, it flows on its own into the void areas on the threads so you don't have to readjust the intonation, etc. Plus it's the easiest to break if you need to move something. Seems like it worked. Also, it dries clear so you can't even see it's there.

7. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I bought a bottle of clear nail polish at the dollar store - cost me a buck. The bridge on my G5245T (same as on the 5230) has been silent ever since.

8. TomK

TomK Electromatic

Nov 18, 2020
    Chicagoland
    True that. I was an engineer for erox for 25 years, I get the difference. But thanks for reaffirming that to me and post viewers,
    utch Ammon, post: 1426648, member: 16926"]If you want to stick with the stock TOM bridge from Gretsch: Get some BLUE Loctite, and gently apply it to the threads of the bridge saddles. Sha-boom... Problem solved!

Do not, repeat... DO NOT... use the RED Loctite... That %*#^ is freakin' permanent!! :eek:[/QUOTE]

Butch Ammon likes this.
  9. TomK

TomK Electromatic

Nov 18, 2020
    Chicagoland
    I am going to try this. Thanks

Butch Ammon likes this.
  10. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    Not if it's an ABM2400!

Ricochet likes this.
  11. Ashley1983

Ashley1983 Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    England
    I couldn’t disagree with this more I have a roller bridge and it’s brilliant

Gregor and Ricochet like this.
  12. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Honestly, I’m glad they work for you. Obviously I was a bit cheeky with my comment. :)

NowEarThis likes this.
  13. TomK

TomK Electromatic

Nov 18, 2020
    Chicagoland
    You are all good Ric.. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ricochet likes this.
  14. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I've always wondered about Gretsch's Adjustamatic bridges. There's no reason to assume they'd match Gibson's TOM specs for the spacing, but dang, it sure would be nice if they did.

15. TomK

TomK Electromatic

Nov 18, 2020
    Chicagoland
    I did it. New strings and the nail polish trick. Seems to have stabilized the rattle. Still getting tuning instability using the Bigs. Now what?

16. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Nut slots are the usual suspect….

Gregor and TomK like this.
  17. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Nail polish is for girlies!

Get a Compton or tru-arc and be a real man! :)

TomK, Craig Encinitas and wabash slim like this.
  18. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    The Wilkinson roller is not shabby, nor expensive. I really didn't expect much at the price they go for, but I've got three of them now. They should be a drop-in replacement on your 5230. They're a little bit fun to get set up, but once they're there, they stay there and no rattling.

I won't tell you not to get a Compton, Tru-Arc, etc, I have more than one Compton myself, but bear in mind that those are straight bridges that will be a compromise where intonation is concerned, and are best used on a floating bridge which the 5230 does not have.

Nail polish or blue LocTite may or may not be the best fix, but I recommend experimenting as it's an inexpensive fix and nothing that won't clean up later with a stiff brush and a little acetone. I use LocTite all the time on motorcycle parts, gun parts, etc, but I don't remember the last time I used it on a guitar part...

-m

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    BrianSelzer, TomK and Craig Encinitas like this.
  19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I use a Truarc Serpentune bar bridge on my G5230T. It drops in. The sustain is great, and the intonation seems pretty good.

Gretsch G5230T with chrome bar bridge.png

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  20. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    OMG! You're a cross-dresser?!

;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.