S.Falcon discoloration in binding?

starwhitehair

Gretschie
Feb 21, 2012
Jersey, USA
I have a 2005 Black Phoenix and nothing odd so far! I've had old Gretsch guitars and the only concern with the great new instruments would be how the binding had improved from the Gretsch-rot vintage guitars. I hope you have a good ending to this problem daddyo.

GretschGhost

Gretschie
May 22, 2012
Heaven
Hitonedaddyo said:
Thank u! Yea I have no clue why it would change color..

Depending on what is used to make the silver flake, it could be oxidizing of the metal in the flake. Different gold flake and sparkle and other metallic finishes often oxidize and turn strange shades of red, green and orange.

desertfox4

Synchromatic
Aug 19, 2010
Cottonwood, AZ.
Letting it sit in direct sunlight might cause it. Not sure on the sparkle binding but the white will age quickly if left in direct sunlight for very long.:eek:

That's a pretty guitar.

desertfox4 said:
Letting it sit in direct sunlight might cause it. Not sure on the sparkle binding but the white will age quickly if left in direct sunlight for very long.:eek:

That's a pretty guitar.

Yes the aged white bindings look nice, but this discoloration on sparkle does not look good. But I doubt it's from sun..I never play it in the sun..so I'm still lost as to why it would discolor..

GretschGhost

Gretschie
May 22, 2012
Heaven
Uncle Daddy said:
My Sparkle 5125 has a similar yellowing of the poly coat. Not enough to make me mad, bit definitely there.

This usually happens when the clear coat begins to get worn and collects residue.
You can usually get rid of it with some power buffing. Takes a little effort as you must remove all the hardware but it's worth your time.
The best solution, although risky, is to take some extremely high-grit sand paper and lightly sand the top coat then buff back to clear.

starwhitehair

Gretschie
Feb 21, 2012
Jersey, USA
Update!!!! I just found the same discoloration on my Black Phoenix. It is where my forearm rest on the lower boute.......and looks like its starting along the underside of the neck binding and probably due to wear and sweat. So there you go and thanks for getting me to take a closer look at the sparkle binding (which I just do not like at all) closer.

starwhitehair said:
Update!!!! I just found the same discoloration on my Black Phoenix. It is where my forearm rest on the lower boute.......and looks like its starting along the underside of the neck binding and probably due to wear and sweat. So there you go and thanks for getting me to take a closer look at the sparkle binding (which I just do not like at all) closer.

Well at first I thought sweat... But the discoloration I have isn't on areas where I touch or sweat...so maybe its something just with age/oxidization..

And why do u hate the sparkle? And still got a Phoenix? Are you looking to sell or trade it? Or is it a tolerable issue?
I had a white penguin, but sold it simply be aide I could not stand the gold. Lol

starwhitehair

Gretschie
Feb 21, 2012
Jersey, USA
I love hollowbodies period and the Phoenix I got was just a a steal of a deal, I have another gretsch with TV Jones Classics so I knew I couldn't go wrong. I don't like sparkle on any guitars binding. I get alot of offers to sell, but it is fun to play and I have to live with the sparkle. I just can't be sad owning a Black Phoenix and having only $1550.00 in with the case and she sings like a bird.

Jul 3, 2011
Los Angeles
I also have the same issue on my '04 Silver Falcon. It's noticable up close on the vertical logo on the headstock, as well as the sides. To me it does not look like something that can be buffed out, and it does nit seem to be a discoloration, it looks more like oxidation under the clear coat.

asdgaKj

May 17, 2022
Croatia
This as a rule happens when the clear coat starts to urge worn and collects residue. I am going to share this thread to my kith and kin https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/s-falcon-florida lottery-discoloration-in-binding.71956/ that they know about S.Falcon discoloration in binding? You can ordinarily get freed of it with a few control buffing. Takes a small exertion as you must evacuate all the equipment but it's worth your time. The best solution, in spite of the fact that hazardous, is to require a few amazingly high-grit sand paper and softly sand the beat coat at that point buff back to clear.

G5422T

Country Gent
May 24, 2012
usa
Could be the clear coat is tinted, and how the guitar was taped for spraying the neck and body.

My Phoenix has a tinted lacquer finish. The sparkle truss rod cover is the same material as the binding, but no finish coat.

It's lighter looking than the binding.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
Does any one else have this happening? I'm getting a strange discoloration on the silver sparkle binding on my Silver Falcon...

I had the same thing happen with my Setzer Phoenix (falcon) they do a sealer coat of lacquer on the guitars and if they dont let the instruments off gas enough, then when they get sprayed again it gets trapped. I think the solvents cause this perhaps.. one reason I hate the necks on all Gretsch lacquered guitars, they get gummy.. or up until I got this semi gloss Setzer Smoke, no stickyness at all. @Curt could expand on this best