Rosewood different on guitars from 2018?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Diddlydan, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Diddlydan

Diddlydan Electromatic

Jun 16, 2021
    Ireland
    Hi,

I am just wondering if the rosewood used on the necks of guitars built during the rosewood cites era, is any different than a guitar built in 2019, when the cites era ended?

I am looking at 2 used players editions. One is from 2018 the other 2019. Just going by the pics, the fretboard seems to be much darker on the 2019 guitar. Now the lighting is very different in both ads, so it could just be that.
    It has me curious though. Anybody know is they used different woods at any point?

Thanks in advance

2. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Rosewood grows in a wide range of colors. Look at the back of a Martin D35.

However, there’s also a very modern and misguided idea that rosewood should be uniform and dark. Some people like to soak a lot of oil into their fretboards to darken them.

3. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Wood selection has become far less critical over the last few decades to the point where we’ve grown tolerant of really an abysmal standard in timber quality, barely noticeable since construction has become so much more precise tnx to modern CNC.

And no, I most certainly don’t have any scientific data to back it up.

blueruins likes this.
  4. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Rosewood varies quite a bit - even from tree to tree. Darker, lighter, more figured, less figured. What is important for a fretboard is different than the back and sides.

5. Diddlydan

Diddlydan Electromatic

Jun 16, 2021
    Ireland
    Cheers for the replies. Was just curious as I do like the look of the darker rosewood.

6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Diddlydan!
    welcome mat Irish.jpg

7. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Which Players Edition model are you looking at? Some had Ebony instead of Rosewood. The G6228 Jet built in 2019 was offered in both for example. It depended on the finish color.

8. Diddlydan

Diddlydan Electromatic

Jun 16, 2021
    Ireland
    The G6131T. The website only mentions rosewood boards on the anyway. Is the G6131T pretty much the same as a G6128T? Specs wise they look exactly the same bar the colours.

9. Diddlydan

Diddlydan Electromatic

Jun 16, 2021
    Ireland
    audept likes this.
  10. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    The current G6131T Players Edition comes with FilterTron pickups. Depending on the color and year, G6128T Players Edition has been offered with both FilterTron or DynaSonic pickups. If you’re not aware of it DynaSonic are single coils.

11. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Welcome to G-T! Good luck with your search.

Rosewood colors are not uniform. I have been to rosewood timber work places. There are quite a lot of differences in rosewood color.
    Attaching a photo for reference.
    Btw, this is Indian rosewood I am showing.
    2021-01-02.jpg 2020-05-02.jpg

Rmccamey, new6659 and sgarnett like this.
  12. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to the nut house Dan!:)

13. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Wow, that is almost as intense as purple heart. I used to have a rosewood-bodied classical guitar in the 80s. It had gorgeous fine orange and purple stripes.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    bhatta likes this.
  14. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I have a Brazilian Rosewood Taylor. The back has an amazing grain pattern with a tonne of contrast and figure, but the sides are a bit more uniform with less contrast.

For neck slabs, I'm not sure what they're after, but I suspect it's important that the grain not be course and/or wildly figured. IE, tight and consistent. Color is an afterthought. Just a guess.

15. Diddlydan

Diddlydan Electromatic

Jun 16, 2021
    Ireland
    It would be the G6128T with the Filtertrons. Looks identical to the G6131T. Specs wise anyway.

Merc likes this.
  16. Diddlydan

Diddlydan Electromatic

Jun 16, 2021
    Ireland
    Cheers for all the replies guys. Very much appreciated.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.