Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Roller Bridge

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Drifter, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Interesting info ... I guess the production / construction costs would be too high for a single unit.

2. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey
    ABM 2400

3. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Interesting, I never would have expected that .11s are problematic ... I'm a pure .10 player.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey
    10s seem to work much better at least the low E and A strings seem to roll and not drag.
    I like the bridge but again, not worth more than $70 in my opinion and that is mainly for the build quality.
    I am going to keep it on the guitar since it has improved sustain of the high E and B strings so just for that I am happy.

6. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Yes, it's way overpriced, though the quality is superb. It's also possible to get custom ABM bridges, so maybe also optimized for other gauges, but their prices are even higher.

7. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey
    I emailed them to see if they would sell me the 3 saddles I need for a better fit.

Aymara likes this.
  8. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey
    I spoke with Peter are ABM and he verified the rollers are milled for 10s but because strings should NOT sit into the bottom of the groove, 11s should work. He said with the thicker strings, the rollers (since they are brass) will shape themselves to the thicker strings. Peter said as long as the string is not sitting on the left and right edge of the roller then I am fine. I will keep the 11s and after a few sets I will see how it goes.

9. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Pure logic let's me doubt that, but time will tell.

10. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I use 11s and have not had any problems.

11. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey
    I may have used the wrong term. Not shape but rather the strings will seat themselves after a bit.

12. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey
    My only issue is that the rollers on the bass side strings do not roll rather the string drags across it. However, the more I have played it the more I think the strings are starting to roll not drag when using the tremolo which is a good thing.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  13. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey
    I small update. While testing the roller bridge I determined one of the causes of the dragging was the fact the bridge would still rock a bit. This is because the thumb wheels are on coarse threads so there is play. I decided to add a second thumb wheel to each stud and BAM it shored up the bridge and now it does not rock and the rollers are working much better. Still the bridge is expensive for what it is but the machining is outstanding so that is where the real cost is. All in all I am not satisfied!

Henry likes this.
  14. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I guess, that's by design, because the bridge base is optimized for a regular TOM, that needs to rock with Bigsby use, right?

What about tone? Did you notice an improvement with the ABM?

15. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Brass is really soft.

I cut a brass nut a few days ago, temporarily installed it with some new 10-52 strings, and wanted to cut the notches a little deeper, and noticed the wound strings already had made an imprint. We're talking minutes here...

16. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Yes, but I would have guessed, that nickel is even softer, but I guess, that the nickel plated steel most people use doesn't count here.

17. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The ABM rollers are brass no?

18. TonV

TonV Electromatic

Mar 10, 2017
    Netherlands
    Just ordered one (ABM 2400c) and yes i read that the new version has brass rollers (thomann).
    Now i hope the Gretsch site is right about the 12 radius on the 6120 GE59....

19. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Print your own radius templates. http://www.blocklayer.com/arc-templateseng.aspx

20. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey
    Your right that the TOM needs to rock with the bigsby so adding a second thumb wheel solved the counter productive rocking on the roller bridge. Also, tone?? Not sure it is ever worth reporting tone difference on an electric versus acoustics so I won't. But sustain improved greatly on the high E and B strings which is fantastic since it (sustain) was sorely lacking before the new bridge.

21. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Okay, I've been assuming that we don't want the regular TOM to rock either. IE, I've been wanting it to stay still so the strings will more definitely slide over them during Bigsby action. IE, it seemed to me that the rocking had a tendency to allow the strings to get stuck a bit in the slots because they were absorbing the forces. No?