Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Roller Bridge

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Drifter, Mar 14, 2017.

1. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    The ABM is solid, not a tone sucker. I'm quite happy with mine.

2. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Unfortunately the ABM's got a 12" radius- the neck of the Guild is a 9.5 inch neck.

3. jfletcher67

jfletcher67 Gretschie

Jul 25, 2012
    Birmingham, AL
    I have a newer version of the ABM 2400c for sale. It's a good bridge and I tried it out on my Tennessee Rose but I went back to the rocking bar eventually. I'll put it up in the for sale section soon with pics but if anyone's interested go ahead and PM me and I'll send you some photos.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Is a matching radius really that important?

6. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
  7. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Stefan, I think a matching radius is definitely important. How important is another question.
    In the case of the Guild with a 91/2" radius the outer strings (Top E and A) and the lower strings (B& E) would be further away from the fretboard than the middle (D & G) strings.
    Either you have to set a higher action so the middle strings don't buzz or you lower the action so the outer strings are "playable" accepting that the middle strings will buzz.
    I think I do understand what I have just said! LOL

Stefan likes this.
  8. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    In this case, I would order a custom ABM with the correct radius. But be warned, that custom bridges are expensive. But it doesn't hurt to give ABM a call or drop them a mail and ask for details. They are pretty helpful.

Roger already explained it, so yes, except you are one of those guys, who love very high action. But when investing into a high end bridge, the radius should match, so that all strings have identical action.

PS: I had that problem on my Epi Les Paul, which has a 14" fretboard radius and came with a rattling TOM. I had a luthier install a Tonepros and correct the bridge radius from 12" to 14" and I now enjoy buzz free low action ;)

If this would be the case, it wouldn't be a high end bridge, right? In case, you should think of a custom ABM, discuss string gauge too, though.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Stefan likes this.
  10. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Thanks. Hard to get a 9.5 radius bridge besides Compton or TruArc :rolleyes:

11. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    ABM will do that on request too, but will be more expensive as the other two. In case you want a different metal than brass, I fear Compton and True-Arc are the only choices.

Or you choose a good quality TOM, that's not pre-notched and let a luthier notch the saddles accordingly.

Stefan likes this.
  12. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    The stock bridge on my new Guild is a simple vintage TOM, but well made with the correct radius- no cheap china bridge like the Electromatic bridges. But nevertheless with the rattling spring :mad:

13. Dave-B

Dave-B Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Perhaps a good quality regular TOM (e.g. Tonepros or Gotoh) might fit your needs. You can adjust the radius of a TOM by filing the slots as required. As long as the slots are polished properly with no sharp edges, you should find they don't bind and cause Bigsby tuning issues.

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onlin...osed_to_slot_Tune-o-matic_bridge_saddles.html

Thinking about it, I'm not sure how necessary a roller bridge really is on a Gretsch with a wood bridge base? The base itself (and the posts) seem to rock sufficiently under Bigsby use that the strings don't slide over the saddles much. I'm no expert though.

Stefan likes this.
  14. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Then you might want to have a look at an ABM TOM and let a luthier do the radius, except you don't like the brass tone. A Tonepros is also quite ok.

I guess the Guild has no Bigsby?

15. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Roller bridge and Bigsby ..............perfect combination

benjwri and Robbie like this.
  16. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    The base should never move, but the bridge itseld should, if you use a TOM or bar bridge and not a roller bridge. That's why a Tonepros with locking studs is a bad choice for a Bigsby guitar, because this will stress the base.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  17. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    It has a Bigsby!
    I have a Compton on my Gretsch but I want a more detailled intonation on my Guild, that's why I'm looking for alternatives. I guess I contact ABM.

Aymara likes this.
  18. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Just my experience: I never been satisfied with the stock roller bridge on my pre FMIC 6120. While I never had intonation problems (expecially after I decided to use a pinned base), I had big issues since the day I bought the guitar with the high E roller... if the bridge was set too low (for a lower action), the string used to "slide" away on the side of the roller (the curved shape helped it a lot) when picking hard. And that happened not only to me (I am an extremely uneducated picker...), but even to some of my friends (much better and cleaner players than I am) jamming with my 6120. Luckily enough, I learned to play with a very high action because of the bottleneck, so I overcame what it seemed a construction problem. In recent times (I admit I'm not the best when it comes to take care of instruments, so my roller bridge may have some extra rust or dirt or blocked roller because of me...:)) the high E string tends to produce a sort of "slapping" sound on the roller when picked hard, as it almost seems that the roller moves up and down when you change the tension on it by picking hard on the string.
    The roller bridge it's still there, but I have a rocking bar coming my way. I'm curious to hear and feel how the tone will be after replacing old roller bridge with the new bar...

19. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey
    I installed the roller bridge today.

The good:
    High quality
    Smooth action
    High E now rings like it should as it's sustain is much improved on that string
    Saddle screws have excellent travel to get intonation spot on
    return to tune after using the tremolo is better not the so called magical tune action some people have suggest it gives

The not so good:
    11s are a bit too large for the rollers. I will need to go to 10s.
    G sounds a little jangly. not sure if it is the bridge or the string. I am hoping the string size or the string itself.

All in all, not worth 70,80 or 90 bucks as a high quality abr bridge should work just as well and also allow you to use 11s but enlarging the grooves of the saddles.

BUT, I will try it with 10s later today and see if it makes a difference since the strings should seat in the roller a bit better which may lead to better return to tune and other things. Stay tuned!!

20. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I've asked ABR for a (custom) 9.5" bridge, it's not possible. At least I'm also not sure if a roller bridge will be the best bet. I guess I go on with another compton.

21. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Which one?