Roller bridge for the G5230t

dmunson

Gretschie
Dec 19, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I did a search and could not find a definitive answer, so I'm asking what roller bridge will work on the G5230T. Mine is a 2018 model if that makes any difference.

section2

Country Gent
Dec 21, 2016
Toronto
The specs you need to match are the post spacing, radius, and string spacing.

The post spacing on nearly all imported guitars will be 74mm centre-to-centre. Double-check yours with a ruler or calipers before you order, but that's probably the right number. If so, just make sure the bridge has 74mm post spacing.

I believe the fretboard radius on the 5230T is 12", so you should look for a 12" radius bridge. If you can't find one, a mismatched radius won't be the end of the world, but matching the radius would be ideal.

I'm not sure about string spacing on your guitar, but you can measure the spacing between your strings and compare the specs on any bridge you're thinking of buying.

One thing to consider: if you're looking for a roller bridge because you're having tuning problems, a roller bridge is probably not the solution. Most tuning problems are caused by a poorly slotted nut or by the tension roller on the Bigsby. The Bigsby tension roller creates a steep string break angle which often puts too much downward pressure at the bridge and too much upward pressure under the roller. All that friction keeps the strings from returning to pitch properly.

Before you order a new bridge, try restringing your guitar with the strings overtop of the tension roller. If your tuning problems disappear, then the Bigsby is the issue. The solution would be to buy a Brick's BiggsFix. It's a replacement tension roller that runs more smoothly and gives a shallower break angle. He offers free shipping to forum members.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2012
France
This roller bridge is very good and very affordable : Göldo HW05C

https://www.thomann.de/fr/goeldo_turnomatic_roller_bridge.htm

I use it on two of my guitars :

G5622TLH :
2y5Z.md.jpg

G5220TLH - with redrilled holes to fit the 1/4" posts :
DBpF.md.jpg

And there's also the ABM2400C, excellent but costy device :

https://www.thomann.de/fr/abm_rollerbridge_2400c_ro_chrom.htm?ref=search_prv_6

A+!

BuddieGreen

Gretschie
Sep 3, 2018
indiana usa
i bought a cheap (i assume china import roller) from amazon. sorry i cant remember the name, but i think it was 15.00. i also filed the nut slots, installed a reverend soft spring and restrung over the tension bar. exactly which step fixed the tuning problem i cant say for sure, but iv had no tuning or playability problems since

dmunson

Gretschie
Dec 19, 2015
Charlotte, NC
The specs you need to match are the post spacing, radius, and string spacing.

The post spacing on nearly all imported guitars will be 74mm centre-to-centre. Double-check yours with a ruler or calipers before you order, but that's probably the right number. If so, just make sure the bridge has 74mm post spacing.

I believe the fretboard radius on the 5230T is 12", so you should look for a 12" radius bridge. If you can't find one, a mismatched radius won't be the end of the world, but matching the radius would be ideal.

I'm not sure about string spacing on your guitar, but you can measure the spacing between your strings and compare the specs on any bridge you're thinking of buying.

One thing to consider: if you're looking for a roller bridge because you're having tuning problems, a roller bridge is probably not the solution. Most tuning problems are caused by a poorly slotted nut or by the tension roller on the Bigsby. The Bigsby tension roller creates a steep string break angle which often puts too much downward pressure at the bridge and too much upward pressure under the roller. All that friction keeps the strings from returning to pitch properly.

Before you order a new bridge, try restringing your guitar with the strings overtop of the tension roller. If your tuning problems disappear, then the Bigsby is the issue. The solution would be to buy a Brick's BiggsFix. It's a replacement tension roller that runs more smoothly and gives a shallower break angle. He offers free shipping to forum members.
I'm not dealing with any tuning issues, other than one loose feeling tuner that Fender/Gretsch is replacing. And I'm not a big vibrato user. But, I know from experience that a decent vibrato needs a roller bridge to insure return to pitch and overall smooth operation. So my wanting to add the roller is just for future consideration. Thanks for the other specs that I need to be aware of.

dmunson

Gretschie
Dec 19, 2015
Charlotte, NC
This roller bridge is very good and very affordable : Göldo HW05C

https://www.thomann.de/fr/goeldo_turnomatic_roller_bridge.htm

I use it on two of my guitars :

G5622TLH :
2y5Z.md.jpg

G5220TLH - with redrilled holes to fit the 1/4" posts :
DBpF.md.jpg

And there's also the ABM2400C, excellent but costy device :

https://www.thomann.de/fr/abm_rollerbridge_2400c_ro_chrom.htm?ref=search_prv_6

A+!
I'm really hoping to find a unit pre-drilled to the 1/4" posts. I don't really feel comfortable drilling it myself.

section2

Country Gent
Dec 21, 2016
Toronto
I'm not dealing with any tuning issues, other than one loose feeling tuner that Fender/Gretsch is replacing. And I'm not a big vibrato user. But, I know from experience that a decent vibrato needs a roller bridge to insure return to pitch and overall smooth operation. So my wanting to add the roller is just for future consideration. Thanks for the other specs that I need to be aware of.

Funnily enough, I had a roller bridge on my first Bigsby-equipped guitar, and that was the one that gave me the most trouble returning to pitch. It drove me crazy until I realized that the tension roller was to blame. Once I bypassed the tension roller, the problem disappeared. The only other time I had an issue was on my 5620T, which also had a tension roller on the Bigsby. I bypassed the roller and later switched to a Bigsby B6C, which has no tension roller. Problem solved.

On all of my guitars since the first one, I've used Tune-o-Matic or solid bridges and found that the Bigsbys run smoothly and return to pitch just fine, as long as I don't use a tension roller. I've got nothing against roller bridges, but I haven't found that they're necessary. Your mileage may vary.

dmunson

Gretschie
Dec 19, 2015
Charlotte, NC
It's been a while since I had a Bigsby, so when I put fresh stings on my new Jet, I forgot to run the first of the new strings under the roller bar. When I discovered what I had done, I re-installed those strings "correctly".
Now that I've heard your solution, the next set I put on will go over the bar, intensionally this time. And I'll keep the stock bridge in place to see how that goes.
Thanks for the heads up.

section2

Country Gent
Dec 21, 2016
Toronto
It's been a while since I had a Bigsby, so when I put fresh stings on my new Jet, I forgot to run the first of the new strings under the roller bar. When I discovered what I had done, I re-installed those strings "correctly".
Now that I've heard your solution, the next set I put on will go over the bar, intensionally this time. And I'll keep the stock bridge in place to see how that goes.
Thanks for the heads up.

My pleasure. Depending on your setup, you might find that running the strings over the tension roller leaves you with a string break angle that's too shallow. If so, I'd suggest replacing the tension roller with a Brick's BiggsFix. On other guitars, the BiggsFix is unnecessary. Good luck!

radd

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
I'm really hoping to find a unit pre-drilled to the 1/4" posts. I don't really feel comfortable drilling it myself.

You just buy new posts if your posts thread into your guitar. 1 minute to change them. I did that on my Pro Jet.

dmunson

Gretschie
Dec 19, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I am a little concerned about changing that break angle. But only because, as it is, the sustain in endless, and that's all over the neck. I don't think any of my Les Pauls can beat it.

And also thanks to Radd. I'm seeing that it could be necessary to switch post sizes for many of the bridges I'm looking at.

Latest posts