ROAD BIKE RULES!!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by slickfaster, Nov 12, 2020.

1. NickGretsch

NickGretsch Synchromatic

Aug 30, 2011
    Cornwall, England
    Used to do a lot of road riding in the 70s/80s/90s on my trusty Peugeot PR10L racing bike with tubs.
    It’s still in the garage, since times used by one of my sons. However these days it looks like something out of the Ark.

Hopefully not going off subject too much but I’ve got back into cycling again at the age of 70 with a Cube Hybrid 500 Pro e-bike. My wife got one first and I was so impressed I got one too. Brilliant.

They’re great for roads, rough country lanes and the many off-road trails we have here in Cornwall and takes the exhaustive strain out of steep hills. And there are many younger riders who use them so they’re not just for old duffers like me.
    Pleased to say my cycling days are still here and into the future.

slickfaster and panhead6zero like this.
  2. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    Everyone clearly has great taste in guitars, really goes without saying!

When it come to bicycles, there is only one brand with heritage- absolutely like no other

Bianchi
    Oldest brand and beautifully designed and made in Italy- comes with a health warning though- they're as addictive as Gretsch guitars!

slickfaster and Penguin like this.
  3. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Electromatic

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    I'd be kicking FGs through that with a mini football.

4. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Electromatic

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    5 bikes myself, 1 Road bike (1986 Fuji Allegro). 1 ATB (1997 Fuji MX-200) converted to a gravel style bike. 1 SS/FG road bike (2010 Vilano brand), 1 modern MTB hardtail (2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2). And my curbside trash save 2003-ish Columbia Northway commuter with a rear rack.

The 2 Fuji bikes were upgraded for freewheels, The Allegro went from 14-30 6 spd to a 13-21 6 spd. And the MX-200 went from 14-28 7 spd to a 12-18 7 spd. Who knows maybe some day I'll swap the 12-18 7 spd to the Allegro to make it a little faster ?

slickfaster likes this.
  5. texaszag

texaszag Newbie

Aug 27, 2017
    Texas
    An e-bike is not just for people who don't like riding a bike. I have been riding a road bike for years (was never a super-fit athlete, though), riding approx. 1,200 miles per year. The last couple of winters I became pretty regular at doing 30-45 minute, moderately intense sessions on an indoor trainer, four or five days a week. After this past winter I got on the road bike expecting to see some fitness gains (or at least, no fitness loss), but that wasn't the case. So to keep riding (I do enjoy it), I bought a Trek Domane+ bike. I love it! Since I purchased it back in June I spend more time on the bike, get good workouts (I never ride with maximum assistance and typically see average heat rates around 140 bpm), and have some energy left after a 20+ mile ride to do more than rot on the sofa. And in the 6 months I've had the bike I've logged well over 1K miles on it. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread!

6. Hydroman

Hydroman Gretschie

Feb 29, 2016
    FUNtucky, Ca.
    Paulie26,

I have to disagree with you on the Bianchi thing, even though they have a long heritage of winning races and having some vey well made high end bikes,they also had alot of mass produced inferior bicycles,,basically Made In Taiwan/China Junk. Back in the 80's Bianchi flooded the Market with low end bikes and basically tarnished their "Made in Italy" Racing image.

I think you might be confusing Bianchi with Colnago.

That being said, Today, Every Major bicycle company has moved their manufacturing to Asia, or as in LOOK's case ,Africa.

slickfaster and gretsch-to-go like this.
  7. benadrian

benadrian Electromatic

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Road and gravel cyclist as well as Gretsch player:)
    I've been a bike guy longer than a guitarist; I started BMX/Freestyle riding as a pre-teen, became a bike commuter in my 20s and 30s, and then got the road bug pretty seriously at about age 40.

Right now I have a carbon Trek Emonda which is my light weight, go-fast, sporty road bike. I also have a steel All-City Space Horse with wide tires, which is my commuter, gravel, adventure bike. I live in L.A., and I'm always looking for new rides and new adventures. I find it's fun to ride with other musicians. Sometimes, when riding with hardcore cyclists, you run out of things to talk about once you get pact bike stuff :)

Cheers!

slickfaster likes this.
  8. Hydroman

Hydroman Gretschie

Feb 29, 2016
    FUNtucky, Ca.
    I usually ride on the San Gabriel River trail, depending on the day of the week I do 40 to 80 miles. If you ever want to come along, just ask. Manny

slickfaster likes this.
  9. benadrian

benadrian Electromatic

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles
    E-Bikes: There are really two types of bikes that people refer to as E-Bikes, but I think it's important to differentiate between them.

There are the "pedal assist" e-bikes. These bikes are essentially a classic road, mountain, or commuter bike with a motor attached for some extra help. OCCASIONALLY there's a throttle or a "boost" button, but mainly it's a regular bicycle that can help a person out or a cargo bike that just needs a little extra power when there's a load.

The other type are basically electric mopeds. they have pedals and a bicycle drivetrain of some sort, but pedal is just not required. A lot of times they kind of look like old dirt bikes. These are bicycles in the legal definition only, but the people who buy and use them aren't looking for a bicycle or a cycling experience. My guess is it's usually people who can't have or don't want a car and can't or don't want to get a moto license.

If I see any problems with E-Bikes fitting into the world, it's usually the second type. The first type is generally awesome. Here's my story...

My wife and I were lucky enough to be able to do a culinary bicycle tour in France. It was in the countryside and we didn't have to carry our gear. We just rode from town to town on hybrid bikes. I was a bike commuter at that time, so I did fine. My wife found that she did pretty well on a bike, but it took the peaceful French countryside with separated bike lanes in many places for her to feel comfortable to give it a shot. Also on that trip, we used the bike share in Paris, and it went very well.

We got home and my wife did independent research and discovered that e-bikes existed. We live at the top of a hill, so riding traditional bikes meant the end of every ride was quite difficult for a recreational cyclist. She got one second hand and we began to ride around L.A. We live near downtown, but we never went because parking always sucked and there was always frustrating traffic. It opened up a whole world for us. Eventually, she got a nice e-bike and I converted a bike to an e-bike. We rode to see the symphony. We started grocery shopping by bike because we could carry a load. We went to street fairs. L.A. is spread out just enough that you can't walk, but still dense enough that driving and parking is a giant pain.

After a while, this cause me to get bitten by the road cycling bug. I took the motor off of my bike after I got stronger. The e-bike took a car off of the street. My wife turn on the motor to "flatten out the hills", but if it's flat, usually no motor is needed. The e-bike was never some kind of cheater bike for us. It was a way to use bicycles as a main mode of transportation without getting super sweaty or being exhausted in the process. It allowed us to carry more than just ourselves without it being a big deal.

It's been pretty great.

Penguin likes this.
  10. Abeno Matto

Abeno Matto Gretschie

May 8, 2014
    Japan
    IMG_1731.jpeg Bike was cheap used but after parts and clothing, it has become an expensive habit. Could have bought a Penguin by now.

slickfaster likes this.
  11. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Bianchi green - my favourite colour :)
    Peng

Paulie26 likes this.
  12. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    MOPAR OR NO CAR!!
    I mean 05 Cannondale CAAD 7, R700
    USA made!! Only two rides, so far so good.
    It’s a bit more arrow posture puts a buzz in my hands.. hoping as my abs and back get stronger there will be less weight on my palms. But compared to my first bike, 98”
    Cannondale R500 CAAD 2 , the R700 is lighter, stops quicker n goes like a rocket!!
    Also now using the LOOK keO’s with the red cleat.. a bit too much float. Gona try the greys next.. and see if I can get 28cm tires in er..maybe higher angled up stem for the time being...Replaced these buggers the other day.. 1F95FCC3-FA80-4A24-B008-E178CBCA59B9.jpeg
    Ride Fast-Take Chances

13. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm more into trails and country than road, but I'll bomb around the city sometimes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

slickfaster likes this.
  14. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Nice office!!

S.R.Cash likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.