ROAD BIKE RULES!!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by slickfaster, Nov 12, 2020.

1. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    What do you use as sealant? When I got my wheels, no one at the bike shop told me anything so I figured one sealant was like another. I used Stans and went through 6 tires with unsealable punctures in a season. I threw out the Stans and now I use Slime.

slickfaster likes this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Scotchbrite reflective tape! It's what's used on the back of semi trailers in lieu of reflectors. No batteries needed.

3. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
  4. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Speaking of cycling stories, here's my cautionary tale.

We have a great cycling path that runs through a large park area, 10km or 12km non stop you can cruise at 27 kph during the week. On a nice weekend, the path gets busier.

During those times, you get little convoys of slow bikes. What really annoys me is when a faster rider will try to pass these long lines but without any regard for oncoming traffic (me). I really don't like someone coming at me in my lane when I'm doing 30.

One fine summer day, after having just slowed down so some ace rider could use my lane to pass a bunch of bikes, I come across the same situation. We were not going to fast (luckily) but here was some guy, trying to pass a half dozen riders as I was approaching.

So I said to myself 'not this time buddy YOU MOVE' and kept my line. I think the rider, an older guy with a nice new bike and a nice new outfit, was not very experienced. He saw me at the last minute and instead of going back into his lane, he veered off...straight into me as I was going off the path to avoid him. POW! $700 for my front wheel and a lesson learned.

Now, if I see some idiot trying to overtake in my lane, I'll stop and go off the path. I mean, what am I in a hurry for?

slickfaster likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    It's already on my extender ( black and yellow stripe )

6. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Ha ha you said extender..

7. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    That is why I don't ride my Harley these days. We started trail walking and when I saw all of the mountain bikes, I thought, I gotta do this! It is a great way to get exercise and enjoy being outside. I rode last Thursday, tough trail with big hills, did 1.86 miles and I was pretty beat. (I started 2 months ago. Need to get back in shape).On the return leg I was about 20 feet from a doe. She was off the path to my right. She didn't move even when I said hello...

slickfaster likes this.
  8. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Gretschie

Jan 2, 2018
    USA
    Welcome to my world!!

slickfaster likes this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm talking about the super reflective stuff. Black doesn't reflect. Of course, black and yellow are Purdue colors.

thunder58 likes this.
  10. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I was also an avid mountain biker. I loved that, and miss it also. But that was more of a group thing for me, and all my mountain bike buddies moved away.... it was great fun while it lasted!

Oh- and I switched to road biking because, I could start right out of my driveway. With mountain biking, I'd have to load up, DRIVE to whichever trail I/we were going to ride, wait for everyone to arrive, ride, then drive back home (if we didn't go for a beer after). Again- just too time-consuming.

slickfaster and panhead6zero like this.
  11. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I am fortunate that I have a trail network a mile from my house. I usually go right after work. If one of my guys at work comes great, if not, I take a ride alone. Always keep my phone with me....just in case.......

ruger9 and slickfaster like this.
  12. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Cool. I ride out to the beach at Playa del Rey and through Redondo when I'm headed south (scenery on the bike path can be lovely), but I'm more of a "social climber" so I avoid Palos Verdes and cut over to PCH at King Harbor, then over to Anaheim St. and down to the LA River bike path, and south from there.

I ride alone because I ride to get away from people. Any groups I've ever seen I either can't keep up with or I don't want to ride that slowly (I'm not exactly built like the stereotypical rail-thin cyclist; male riders over 200 lbs. are referred to as "Clydesdales," and that's probably where I'll be forever). And no one can beat me on a descent. Well there was that one time:

I wear a helmet cam and record every ride. I do this for 3 reasons: 1. Sometimes something interesting happens on a ride and it gives me a way to remember and share it, 2. I've found drivers, and cyclists, too, but especially drivers, tend to be more polite when they know (or think) they're on camera (maybe because this is L.A. and they're all actors), and 3. If they opt not to be polite, I have some evidence of what actually happened. The downside is that I have terabytes of fairly boring video of me riding down a road.

13. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    PCH through Lomita and Harbor City is crazy busy with Semi trucks and tight. Also road conditions are very poor.
    Your braver than I to roll PCH.
    Cool video!!

14. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Take a right at Western, go a block or two south and take a left onto Anaheim St. It’s much less busy and there are lots of bike lanes. I won’t say there aren’t any trucks, but there are fewer of them. I figure if you’re going to ride a road bike, you may as well get used to the other stuff on those roads. I commuted for so long in traffic that would make most riders pee their pants, I’m more or less used to it (I’ve got some fun videos on my YouTube channel).

Once you get south of Long Beach, PCH is pretty nice, bike lanes almost the whole way, the only place that sucks is Laguna Beach. Love the town, hate the streets. But if you live through that, the ride down to San Clemente is a blast.

slickfaster likes this.
  15. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    I live in one of the countries that's famous for bicycle racing, but I haven't really embraced it, always been more into swimming. Now that I got a 200+ horsepower superbike on the way that is gonna be track build, I might need to reconsider biking to keep my body in form to properly handle that beast. I've got a taste of mountain biking tho, love going down hill at 60+ km/h.
    Either way I'm considering picking it up to stay in shape now that I've reached 30. (but hey round is also a shape :p)

slickfaster likes this.
  16. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice, congrats! With a 34 chainring you probably don't need a triple anyway - extra weight :) Great colour!

slickfaster likes this.
  17. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Hey hey, These guys are Pittsburgh.. I was born McKees Rocks...I got to get some gear from them..too odd! Thank you

18. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    What you think of Gravel bikes.. road frame with bigger tires and knobs. Seems like a great trade off but a lot suffering when on the road..
    I squoze 28’s into my r500 with under inflation and is a nice ride. Bet those gravel bikes are like a magic carpet...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  19. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    That sounds like a cross-country bike... basically, the difference between a XC bike and a hybrid is the handlebars: XC has road bike bars, hybrid has "flat' bars. Both have slightly bigger tires for rail-trails and dirt and such, and that's what I have now: a hybrid. It's good on road, dirt, packed stone, etc.... it's a "go anywhere" bike.

No knobs tho- XC and hybrids still have relatively smooth tread. We do have a bike style here called "single speeds", they have HUGE knob tires, but NO GEARS. No thanks to no gear LOL. Too many hills here.

slickfaster likes this.
  20. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    Love bicycles. Was an early adopter of the Nishiki square frame Alien MTB. Had numerous road bikes but now days Im a cheater. I ride a Class 2 Fat Tire eBike. In fact its on the
    charger so I can get a little riding in today ☺️

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.