ROAD BIKE RULES!!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by slickfaster, Nov 12, 2020.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You kids and your fancy bikes. My first big bike was a hand me down Schwinn with balloon tires, tank w/horn, fender mounted headlight, saddle baskets and a huge front basket. One speed and a coaster brake. I had a five mile paper route with 150 stops, carried two shoulder bags, and pedaled all over the neighborhood when not delivering papers. Safe to say that my legs were in great shape. There was no safety gear, no Lycra, no helmets, and certainly no bike lanes. I stopped riding bikes for the same reason I stopped riding motorcycles a few years later---idiots in cars and trucks. That, and it's hard to ride a bike in two feet of snow.

panhead6zero likes this.
  2. AlexO

AlexO Electromatic

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester
    Literally just got in from a ride now. Nice 70km in the bag. Very jealous of you guys who get year round sunshine.
    Was a wet and windy one today but I live in the north west of England it’s expected.

Great for the mind and body is cycling and if you can get a few mates to do it with you it’s a great social hobby also.

manunk and radd like this.
  3. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Oh that's a hard one from here! From my understanding they are similarly equipped with 105 gear, but you mention Ultegra (the rear derailleur?) which would be a step up... the R700 has a triple but the Synapse has a double? - that might make a difference if you're somewhere hilly. In the saddle, the R700 might be a stiffer frame. The Synapse probably has a bit more flex. I like that - to my mind, more comfort on longer rides but if you're into short, fast rides, you may not prefer that. I think both are fine and maybe it comes down to how much wear and tear the bikes have - how many miles on their running gear. Make sure the frames are straight - haven't been stacked and fatigued. Enamel paint cracks around tube joins are usually a give away. The R700 is closest to my Cannondale and I'm still riding it after 20 years; the gear lasts well.

slickfaster likes this.
  4. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    Thunder58,
    There are plenty of those lights on amazon and I've owned a few. I don't think it would be appropriate for what you want to accomplish. All the red flashing lights on the market now are LED and are incredibly bright. Mounting one on your kayak would be putting it right at eye level for motorists. The lights are so bright that being closer than 100' to one is blindingly painful. Good for cyclists who might go unnoticed but overkill for your application. In traffic, a motorist could conceivably be stuck riding behind you for quite awhile without being able to pass. Very unpleasant for the motorist, also not sure about the legality (akin to driving with hazard flashers on?)

But I think you should get the light, and while you're at it, spend another $900 (hey, it's like one more guitar) and pick up a new hybrid fitness bike. You'd be amazed at how much fun these new bikes are to ride.

thunder58 likes this.
  5. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    Hey Slickfaster,

Florida guy here, getting my miles in lately, glad you found this healthy outlet. With the miles you're doing, you should get some serious shorts. Aerotech is a great US company that makes good gear (here) at reasonable prices. Speaking of which, be warned that BAS is just as serious as GAS, and like guitars, $5k is when things start getting golden in bikes. Not for me though, I've got a 15 year old Trek 1500 (Lance's old bike) that I've modded up to Campy and Ultegra and a killer set of wheels.

A 20lb bike can keep you happy for a long time, and eventually you hit the law of diminishing returns. Another 1lb drop in weight runs you an additional $1000. You just get to go faster and further for the same workout. This should go without saying, besides shoes and gloves, make sure you're WEARING A HELMET unless the thought of spending the rest of your life as a paraplegic sounds inviting.
    Enjoy those endorphins!

slickfaster likes this.
  6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Back when I raced and trained riding ridiculous numbers of miles each week we would chuckle at the wannabe racers spending a ton for things like Titanium bolts sets, etc, then ordering a cheeseburger at lunch. Most could stand to lose 10- 20 lbs off their bodies. much cheaper performance gain.

The great Eddy Merckx said, “ Don’t upgrade...Ride upgrades.

My favorite bike cartoon

DA8D9A27-3B0A-4BD4-A20D-2BFE76860E88.png

7. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    @slickfaster, where in California are you? I ride around as much of Southern California as I can get to and still get home in the same day, sometimes by cheating and riding out 100 miles but ending up at a Metrolink station where I can catch a train ride back home. I live in LA but like to ride up to Ventura County where I grew up and re-ride some of the roads I rode as a youth.

I did over 1,000 miles in May, then had surgery on my foot in June and was out of commission for two months. But I came back with a vengeance (700 in September, somewhat less in October) after that and have ridden as far north as Ventura (I did 100 miles on my birthday), south to San Clemente, east to Fontana, and north to the Santa Clarita Valley. It’s all coming to an end, or at least a drastic reduction, though, because, again, I screwed up my retirement and got a job, starting on Monday. This is the last time I’ll do that, I guarantee you. Even so, I’ve mapped out the route to the new job and found a safe route that’s 12.7 miles each way, so I’ll get at least 25 miles a day if all goes well.

And a friend has been nagging me to get a mountain bike, I finally succumbed and got a used Stumpjumper Comp full-suspension beast. A whole new world. It’s kind of like learning to play death metal guitar. The rudiments of the instrument and technique are familiar, but everything else is bewildering. But still fun. My road bike:
    [​IMG]

(I found a place on Etsy that’ll make custom lettering, I nicknamed this one The Rocket Bike):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    thunder58 and slickfaster like this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    While I expect that most of you cyclists obey the laws, I see enough riders doing things that nearly get themselves killed daily. From a pack of junior high kids riding all over a busy four lane, daring cars to do something, to a goodly portion of 40,000 college kids that think they'll live forever totally disregard the law, they flaunt their disregard of the rules like a badge of honor.

One cyclist ran a stop sign after I had started across the intersection. After slamming on my brakes, I honked. He gave me a single finger salute, and shouted, "I have rights!" , and kept going. My response, ",,,and responsibilities!" If you're going to break the basic rules of the road, don't wear your uni labelled cycling team uniform while you do it.

It's sad when you're more afraid for them than they are from themselves. It's not only bikes, but pedestrians, skateboards, those powered scooters and unicycle things as well. Moped on crowded sidewalks are a real danger, as well as bikes. It's a side-WALK, not a side-RIDE. Streets filled with cars, trucks, busses, and semis, as well as bikes mopeds and scooters, as well as absent minded pedestrians are just accidents looking to happen. Be aware of your surroundings.

And wear your helmets!

9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Actually , point well taken as this was a concern of mine ( the brightness ) But if you noticed my previous post with the example photo ( post #21 ) you can see how the kayak extends out from the tailgate and I do use the same " truck tailgate extender " . It's not my taillights I'm concerned about ( brake lights , directionals , there visible ) , it's approaching the rear of the vehicle straight on as a person may take the kayak as part of the truck . I really to not want to invest in a rack as I only have a 3 year lease with the vehicle and anything can happen in 3 years

10. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I used to be, I loved it, and I miss it. I had 2 problems with it:

1) even tho I live in a rural area, and road on secondary/country roads mostly, it's still scary here in NJ because we still are pretty populated- and in this era of cell phones, I'm scared someone will hit me. And I'm not usually a scaredy-cat about things, but I don't trust people- especially people driving.

2) it took too much time- to get the same fitness level of say, running (which I also used to do alot of), you could either run for 30min or ride for 90min. I simply don't have that much time anymore, unfortunately. There was a point in my life when I would do at least 3 90-120min rides a week, it was glorious.

I really miss it. Even the miserable hill climbing (which is REQUIRED around here, unless you stay on main roads, which I won't do). I still have the bike hanging in garage... but I bought a hybrid several years ago, for similar, but much shorter, rides with the wife.

slickfaster likes this.
  11. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Do you have an extender like that? That goes in the hitch? I've never seen one, That's brilliant!! We have 2 kayaks and a paddle board, and that would really help transporting them...

This happened to me once, but I hit a CHILD- not my fault- my group was going down a country road, no traffic, and there was a mother in the driveway with her kids... one was riding a tricycle, and the mother either wasn't paying attention or didn't care... let the kid ride RIGHT OUT INTO THE ROAD. I slammed on the brakes as best I could, but it was too late. Happened in a flash. If I had been a car, that child would be dead now.

radd likes this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Harbor Freight Tools . I suggest going there to get it as I ordered one to my door and box was ripped open ( wasn't sure if anything was missing ) so I refused delivery . Can also be installed vertically should you have a some sort of kayak rack on the rook of the truck . ( Harbor Freight coupons are everywhere too to help with the cost )

Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 7.51.37 AM.png

ruger9 likes this.
  13. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I found one on amazon, similar but also has removable side arms, 720lb capacity... it'll be of great help when I have to transport 10ft 2-bys (I'm in construction). Thanks!
    [​IMG]

thunder58 likes this.
  14. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    7EE9F02B-157C-4B97-BCD3-EC2F0EF9F244.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg
    Got the 700, 2005, double.. little beat up but solid.
    Ultegra 6600 all around. Crazy flat spoke mavics, FSA hollow carbon fiber crank. Gator skins.. just needs a shower n some TLC.. tell the truth I just liked the burnt orange more!! Has stage presence...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    Penguin, thunder58 and bluenote23 like this.
  15. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    I’m in Redondo Bch.. best riding here is Palos Verdes Peninsula.. been rolling climbs there..

16. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Thank you.. will check AeroTech...got my helmet n shoes
    thanks will check AeroTech I definitely need to get out of the board shorts.. got my
    Bell helmet and Duegi shoes.. image.jpg

thunder58 likes this.
  17. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    New bike and new guitar too. Double congratulations.

It looks very nice. I have Mavic USTs and having only 18 or 20 flat spokes takes a lot of weight off the wheels. Are yours tubeless?

Here in Montreal today, it's around 32F and wet and I am stuck inside. After my ride yesterday, I couldn't talk for 10 minutes until my jaw unfroze!

Lucky those in CA. Have a good ride today.

slickfaster likes this.
  18. manunk

manunk Gretschie

Raced and coordinated races in the late 70s, with almost 10 years of guitar under my belt. I have lots of stories to tell, mainly about encounters on the road, mainly dangerous including 6 hits. Had a Raleigh Competition, Marinoni custom, some others (2 stolen). Got lazy and fat. Came back to it riding centuries on a mountain bike, then got a titanium framed Eclipse, a local brand. Felt I was too heavy for it so I now have a gravel bike, a "Plug" made in Great Britain. Lately I've learned that bigger, wider tires are really almost as fast as skinny tires. I feel safe riding outside my city, but only do 35 - 40 km now as I love to walk/jog too. Side issue: cyclists-serious as well as casual- around here have horrendous road manners ie don't follow any rules of the road.

bluenote23 and slickfaster like this.
  19. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Centuries? I guess I am too old, 40km a day and I am whacked! And that's just on flats...

Here in my town, I find that at least some of the serious riders follow the rules but in general, I stay as far away from casual riders as I can and give them a wide berth, allowing for errors. I have more confidence in car drivers than cyclists. The good habits have to start with me though. Sometimes it may seem a little foolish to stop at red lights or stop signs but car drivers have to do it and so, so do I. We cyclists would be in a lot of trouble if car drivers drove their cars like most cyclists ride their bikes!

manunk and slickfaster like this.
  20. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Gona go tubeless as big as I can fit..25’s? I shoved 28’s in my R500 they rub a little at rear break but only if you go max psi.. lower Cush psi no rub and very smooth but if I get up n attack rubs at lower frame joint.. R500@ 58-60cm frame and longer head tube it’s more up rite, maybe will be my easy long distance cruiser ... CDFC8DFC-82DF-4B6D-B532-46D27E1ED622.jpeg

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.