ROAD BIKE RULES!!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by slickfaster, Nov 12, 2020.

1. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    D48DDE76-1327-4525-BF2A-E6B46540B181.jpeg Any road bike warriors here? I’m very new to the sport.. 3 months in.. Here in Cali you can keep pedaling through the Fall n Winter it’s awesome. I got a 1998” Cannondale R500, Sexy bike with a granny gear!! For only 4hun. Also got the shoes and helmet. Passed on the tights. Got 5hun into the sport. Not too bad.
    I purchased this bike not knowing much about road bike dynamics and recently discovered that its 4cm too big. This is a pretty big deal in the scheme of fitting bike to body size. So I’ve been keeping n eye out for a smaller bike. The sport is a blast and climbing hills is a drug. I have lost 11lbs. Im turning my health around just by pushing pedals. That and eating a more plant based diet.. I’m sleeping better and seem to be a happier individual..riding 1 ti 2 hrs a day with a occasional couple days off..
    Please give those PITA’s riding bikes on the road a pass... might be Me.
    Not sure where all this came from??
    But ya...Road Bike Man!
    PEACE

2. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm 67 now but have been cycling as a hobby since my 20s. Now that I don't work and have more time, I ride a couple of hours a day. I find it very hard to take a break.

I'm in the north so the season is winding down now (it was 6C today). Once the snow falls (or we hit the freezing mark) I set up my Tacx computer and ride the Tourmalet, Galibier and the Alpes d'Huez and the Ventoux for the winter months.

About 10 years ago, I got a pretty good bike, a used 1999 Lightspeed Vortex. It's 6/4 titanium and is made to last forever. Campy Ti Record and now I have Mavic tubeless. I really like tubeless but there was a real learning curve. I like the fact that you never have a flat (the sealant will always assure that you can get home) but they can be costly if you have bad roads and are unlucky (you can't patch them).

[​IMG]

3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Bikes, love up

Ex bicycle racer, roads and crits. My racing career was only marginally better than my music career. Good thing I had a day job.

My last good bike a sweet Cervelo that has carried me up and down the Santa Cruz Mountains with our local club countless times.

7E6044C2-5E9A-4F25-85B9-27ECF9374E48.jpeg A7E81D65-355E-437E-BBF9-A718D677F646.jpeg

I moved on to a more gratifying ride, carting my two grand daughters around by bike

80322C78-F935-4E4C-A5EC-580C06F4A4A0.jpeg

Apparently the youngest one was not entertained enough to stay awake and enjoy the view of the Monterey Bay:(

CE5DAFA4-1FA0-4440-8F23-4983E3B13A55.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    ffc65, T-Bawler, bluenote23 and 5 others like this.
  4. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Cycle tourist here. I've ridden custom built Reynolds 531 frames since I was 19. Gotta love steel.
    I've cycled around New Zealand, around Ireland, across Europe from London to Athens... and I revisited Croatia and Slovenia last year.
    Now, in my shame (;)), I have just bought a Giant RevoltE+ so plan to continue touring into my dotage, or knee reconstructions, whichever comes first.
    Heading off cycling in Tasmania in January. Only trouble is, I've not worked out how to tour with Gretsches.
    Below is a pic of me in Croatia last year. Which one is the ass?
    Peng
    IMG_8977.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I can't believe this came up !
    Can someone recommend a good " rear / red " light , preferably a strobe . One that is really good visibly from a distance ....... here's my problem :

I have a Chevy Colorado and I put my kayak in the bed of the truck . It's 14' long and a good portion of it sticks out of the back . I don't want to put a " flag " on the end part that sticks out because there's really no way to mount a flag . ( a flag like a flagman in road construction traffic would use , don't want that ) I'm sure I can mount it on the end of the kayak and take it on and off as I transport the kayak ........ any suggestions on a good light ?

6. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    BTW - there was a time in my life when I use to love bike riding . I had a Shcwinn 10 speed as a teen and then had 2 Peugeot bikes up into my upper 20's . Always felt good to ride a bike ......

ruger9 and radd like this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    A flag is required by law if it sticks out more than three feet. I like the idea of a blinker/strobe myself. A bike shop should have something to cover that.

Best bike light I ever saw was a fluorescent tube in safety green, It could be seen for a half mile. it was mounted on the front of the seat tube. As the riders legs came down alongside, the light would waver from side to side, making a throbbing effect. really effective---and annoying.

Gretschburgh and thunder58 like this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    For the majority of my educational years I used a bicycle. Rain, snow it didn’t matter. I only just realised how much I loved riding to school. I always had music in my head, played imaginary guitar solos or composed riffs. Stamina was amazing too.

Now I got a spendy mountain bike and can barely make it around the block without breaking into a sweat and the only thing I hear is wheezing.

T-Bawler, slickfaster and radd like this.
  9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    The best exercise there is. And whenever I'm on one, I feel like a motorcycle is safer in my town!

Rmccamey, T-Bawler and slickfaster like this.
  10. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Yea , I'm sure that's where I'll be heading too . Hard to say about the 3' as I also use a " truck bed extender " . Bought it at Harbor Freight . It's just a bar that inserts into the trailer hitch , extends out about 3' and then rises up to a " T " for the kayak to rest on . I'm always nervous of someone tapping into the kayak

11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I really do not like riding a bicycle. The seats are so incredibly uncomfortable and you are always the weakest on the road.
    I got a motorbike as soon as I was allowed to ride one, sold the bicycle and never looked back.

Interesting site-note: There is a big bicycle-store in my town. The owner told me that during corona he sells very high-end e-bikes by the truck-loads. He told me that in fact he is currently enjoying the biggest turnover of his whole career.

Rmccamey likes this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    If you've got a trailer hitch, then you've likely got electrical hookups. You might rig something on that T bar.

GretschPraise and thunder58 like this.
  13. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    AH-HAAAA !!

14. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @wabash slim , great idea but that may only work while applying the break . I'm looking for a continuous safety warning

15. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Yes, in my town too, there were a lot of e-bike corona sales. I don't like the way most people ride e-bikes but I do understand that if you don't like riding bikes, they are at least a little fun when you start and get you moving your legs a little bit which is far, far better than nothing. But I don't see how they are much fun after the initial novelty has worn off. There's nothing like riding to a near point of exhaustion for self satisfaction.

16. Hydroman

Hydroman Gretschie

Feb 29, 2016
    FUNtucky, Ca.
    Ive been cycling/racing since 1983. I still get out there regularly and enjoy it.

Attached Files:

17. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Nice bike

18. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hey

thunder58 likes this.
  19. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    We need these by law in my state;
    (If the URL doesn't work Google "bike rack number plate holder with lights"
    The reason is so the car's blinkers, brake lights and number plate can be seen without obstruction. They plug into the trailer connection and velcro onto whatever (e.g. you truck bed extender).
    https://www.99bikes.com.au/car-rack...=06d1c65bca31cd5b76155678c817839e&fo_s=gsurau

20. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Wow that looks like a responsive frame geometry! Must be a blast to ride.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.