RIP - Scotty Moore

Dave-B

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
May 23, 2016
Scotland
The godfather of rockabilly guitar. He had one helluva life, and leaves a real legacy of work to inspire others. I'm off to learn Mystery Train, properly this time. Thanks Scotty.

ruger9

Country Gent
Nov 1, 2008
NJ
We've lost alot of legends lately. It's been a very tough year. At least Scotty lived a FULL life, he didn't go early. And what better job than guitarist for the King?

organic

Synchromatic
Jan 22, 2011
Worcester UK
I'm always amazed by what those guys did on that legendary session back in 1954 where they came up with their version of "That's Alright Mama". There were no guidelines as rock&roll didn't exist, and Sam Phillips didn't know exactly what he was looking for, but knew he'd know when he heard it. And the big question, how did they sleep? If I'd been part of that session I don't think I'd be able to sleep for at least a week. While they could have had no idea how big it'd become, they must've known they'd hit on something far more exciting than anything that had gone before.

'Upon finishing the recording session, according to Scotty Moore, Bill Black remarked, "Damn. Get that on the radio and they'll run us out of town."'

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
I've told the story before, but I got to meet him once and talk with him a bit. I'll never forget it and will cherish that memory always. It was the only time I've been star-struck. I don't know that he fully understood the impact he had on so many of us......it's difficult when you're the one to do something cause it's....well it's just ordinary old you. I don't know that he fully grasped the depths of what he did......it may all have been one pre-ordained "accident", but man oh man.........how it will reverberate forever. I listened last night for awhile to those early recordings.......they still make my blood pump when the guitar comes out of the speakers.

You know, Scotty was really one of us. He was no virtuoso.....no hotshot player. He was a guy with a guitar he could barely afford, and a dream that he certainly couldn't afford. And somehow......it all lined up for him. He played what he knew and played it from the heart in a teeny tiny little room with no air-conditioning in a dirty river-town with some pimpled greasy-haired kid who everyone thought was a little "funny", and those notes made history.

Scotty Moore, as much or maybe even more so than Elvis.......was the American Dream. He got paid to do what he loved, and touched the hearts of likely billions at this point.

Rest in Peace Mr. Moore........we love you and are so thankful for you coupla boys that were willing to dare to be different.

Last edited:

Gretschtim1

Country Gent
Dec 4, 2012
Dundalk, Md
Even at a very young age his playing excited me and has stuck with me my whole life.
His solo on Elvis' "Too Much" is so original and even after all these years no one has ever come close to topping it in pure feel.
RIP Scotty - you were one of the all-time greats of rock guitar.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
We all have to leave someday. Scotty left us in the admirable age of 84 and will be remembered. We should be happy and thankful for what he did and achieved. Rest in peace.
These are true words, JHowdy.
My prayers are with his family.

GTR6119

Country Gent
Oct 12, 2014
London
I've told the story before, but I got to meet him once and talk with him a bit. I'll never forget it and will cherish that memory always. It was the only time I've been star-struck. I don't know that he fully understood the impact he had on so many of us......it's difficult when you're the one to do something cause it's....well it's just ordinary old you. I don't know that he fully grasped the depths of what he did......it may all have been one pre-ordained "accident", but man oh man.........how it will reverberate forever. I listened last night for awhile to those early recordings.......they still make my blood pump when the guitar comes out of the speakers.

You know, Scotty was really one of us. He was no virtuoso.....no hotshot player. He was a guy with a guitar he could barely afford, and a dream that he certainly couldn't afford. And somehow......it all lined up for him. He played what he knew and played it from the heart in a teeny tiny little room with no air-conditioning in a dirty river-town with some pimpled greasy-haired kid who everyone thought was a little "funny", and those notes made history.

Scotty Moore, as much or maybe even more so than Elvis.......was the American Dream. He got paid to do what he loved, and touched the hearts of likely billions at this point.

Rest in Peace Mr. Moore........we love you and are so thankful for you coupla boys that were willing to dare to be different.

Hey Tony, Grab a Guitar Join the Master, One for the Road.

Last edited:

JC higgy

Gretschified
Jun 6, 2008
Belfast Norn Iron
I really don't know what to say I'm still in shock,being away from all media for most of the day i just heard this sad news on local radio tonight,i learned to finger pick playing along to Scotty.

RIP Scotty Sir.