Ridiculous Pricing Again

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by drmilktruck, Nov 30, 2021.

1. afire

afire Country Gent

Just the other day I was reading the Wikipedia page for the London Bridge. Fascinating. I'm on a medieval bender these days.

drmilktruck and Sabato like this.
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    How many guitar forums would you read things like that on?

MTurner and MrWookiee like this.
  3. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    I had a Rambler for about 27 years. Never played it. Sold it on my Reverb store a few years ago for just about what you said they are worth. That's the thing with vintage guitars. You can ask anything you want, but at the end of the day all things sell pretty much for what they are worth. Occasionally, someone will over pay for but that is the exception. Guys here seem to care not anyway. All they are really interested in is the Rambler car, not guitar. I guess that says a lot about the Gretsch Rambler.

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

Ya mean this is a guitar forum???

5. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Sometimes....

6. No strings attached?

7. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    It's the same with Steinberger L/XL basses. The only available ones seem to be in Japan and I'd agree with you that some of these sellers don't have the product.

8. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    For some strange reason, my Dad stopped buying the Studebakers he built at the factory due to union issues, apparently. Place shut down soon after. So, he mainly switched to Ramblers, then AMC. I had a '63 Rambler 330 when I got out of the service. Absolutely horrid vehicle, ugly as homemade sin, rusted beyond belief, and it turned out to be the best $30 car I ever owned. That thing would always start in the coldest weather, always got 25 MPG, and went thru snow when nothing else could. Mom had a '69 Rebel 360 that ran like a scalded dog, and my best friend had an AMX that he'd go Vette hunting with.

When the Big 3 went after the small independents, Rambler, Willys, and Hudson joined up and formed AMC, and Studebaker and Packard joined together. Didn't work in their case like it did for AMC. The one thing that really saved AMC was having Willys in their flock. It's kept Chrysler afloat as well.

MrWookiee, mrfixitmi and Sabato like this.
  9. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    In 1973 I had purchased a 1969 Rambler Hurst SC from the Allstate insurance Company when someone decided that it needed to be 3" shorter. Since we had a body shop, and my uncle owned a junkyard, this was repairable, I painted it "old geezer gold". The factory reported a 1/4 mile times at 14.3 seconds. I modified that 390 with ported/polished heads, polished the intake, re-jetted the carb, and fabricated tubular headers. After adding traction bars, I had a best time of 13.9 seconds in the 1/4. That was a sleeper, most people thought that it was a kid driving in a car that Grandpa gave him. (4) tickets later, my Dad made me sell it...to him! We had a lot of fun in that car.

Thank you for the memories.

MotorCentaur, Sabato and wabash slim like this.
  10. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    The London Bridge now at Havasu was on a fairly recent episode of Ghost Adventure.

MrWookiee likes this.
  11. afire

afire Country Gent

My nephew's first car was a Rambler 330. It looked like this, but quite a bit more ragged:
    [​IMG]
    He got it when he was 16, and took the plunge on maintaining old cars. I drove it one time, and boy, you had better plan your stops well in advance, because not much happens immediately when you hit the brakes.

His most recent purchase, a low-mileage all-original 1947 Pontiac Streamliner, is a little bit slicker:
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.