RICKENBACKER 360/12C63 (Fireglo) - To 12 String or Not

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Xochi2, Dec 6, 2021.

1. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a 360/12 from 1998. Besides taking a weekend to re-string, I don't have any problems. I did have the courses reversed so as to allow a more ballanced sound when fingerpicking. You really should sit down with it before putting out any cash because some folks think the neck and string spacing are a little close. I have small fingers, so It's comfortable to me. Good luck !!!

Xochi2 and thunder58 like this.
  2. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    In 2021 they list for $2599.
    I wasn't impressed with the one I played at a show last year. It felt dead and sounded dead through an amp.
    Maybe it was a bad one.

Xochi2 likes this.
  3. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    I've had a few Rickenbacker 12's over the years and sold them all. Not because they weren't quality, but they were pretty much a one trick pony. Super impressive to the other band players, but after a few tunes it got old. Ric's deliver all you'd expect and you will be very happy with your purchase, though. Biggest cons I had of them to be aware of was the string changing and the reversed octave string positioning. The headstock design is a beautiful design in theory, until you have to change the strings. I found it very difficult and frustrating. Also, I could never get used to the reversed octave string configuration. I preferred hitting the octave string first in a downstrum than hitting the bass string first. I guess I was used to acoustic 12's I've had and a beautiful cherry Gibson 335-12, strung traditionally. I'm not sure, but I think the McGuinn model has the traditional stringing. The dual truss rods were also a bit of a head scratcher. All in all, I've owned many Ric's over the years, 6 and 12's... and the only one I regret selling was a 620-12 solid body with the crescent wave. That guitar was excellent, and a Lennon 325 with toaster pick ups. That guitar sounded and recorded beautifully... but the 3/4 neck cramped my wrist too much. I then got a 325 with the full scale neck, but it wasn't the same at all.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  4. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    At this stage I really like the Gretsch. I wanted an electric 12-string and bought the G5422G-12 which caused me now own 10 Gretsch electrics. It has a great neck for me. My granddaughter loves to play it too.

The Martin is a slot head made in 1966. The quality is great but the neck is a little wide for me.

The Gibson is a 1969 model great playing one also.

Everything I've read leads me to believe the Ric necks would be to narrow for my fat stubby fingers, I sure love the sound though.

Xochi2 and GlenP like this.
  5. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Seinfeld & Co. got it wrong. Delores doesn't rhyme and is accented on a different syllable.

Xochi2 likes this.
  6. afire

afire Country Gent

If we're sharing Rickenbackers that got away stories, I've got a doozy. When I was in high school, a friend of mine bought a late 1950s 360 Capri from a hockey teammate for the princely sum of $150. Basically, it was this guitar:
    [​IMG]
    This was in the early '90s, so this was already a pretty valuable guitar at the time. When he showed it to me, I nearly soiled myself. I was a vintage guy and Rickenbacker enthusiast from day one, so I knew exactly what I was looking at and what it was worth. I was so jealous, and you can bet I was working my brain overtime to figure out a scheme to make it mine. The condition was beautiful too. BUT...it had a wonky neck. I don't remember if it was or a backbow or what, but it was barely playable. I couldn't have cared less. Even at that age, I was aware that there's pretty much nothing that can't be fixed. He took it to a tech at one shop and the guy didn't know what to do with it. In retrospect, I'm sure it was the quirky Rickenbacker truss rod that has stumped many a tech. Unbeknownst to me, he later took it to a second shop. The tech there told him that it was not repairable, but in the spirit of charity, they would give him the same $150 he paid for the guitar. And he took it. I was so ticked. I don't know how it didn't occur to him that I would have happily bought it for a lot more than $150. He knew how much I wanted it.

About a week later, there it was hanging on the shop wall, playing like butter, and with a $2500 price tag. I was crushed and furious. They swindled him (and by extension, me) out of a guitar that I've been lusting after ever since. To this day, it's the only 1950s Rickenbacker I've ever seen in the flesh.

7. toddfan

toddfan Country Gent

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    I am guessing I got mine sometime in 1989...I have the receipt somewhere. A friend of mine saw an advertisement...I think in Goldmine.. from a store somewhere in NYC (I'm in KS) that was closing them trying to get rid of what they had ... and, I am almost embarrassed to say they were around $750, including the silver vintage case. I used to joke (when he was alive) that when Tom Petty passed away (RIP) I would sell it...but I still have it. :D Right now there are two on Reverb...one is asking $7.5K and the other is asking $8.5K. There are some on eBay sellers in Japan priced at or near $4K.

Personally, I think the 660/12 would make a great 12 string...but, if you were comfortable with the neck of the ones you auditioned, I think those semi-hollows are beautiful.

Good luck in your quest!

Xochi2 likes this.
  8. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    When I was about to buy my 360/12V64 back in 1989,my local guy called the shop to see if they had one ,which of course they did,anyway they said they had an original 1964 double bound 360/12 in Fireglo in stock ,but I just couldn't afford it, they wanted £1650 ! I was stretched financially at the time trying to find the cash for the reissue but i should've tried harder to find the cash for that guitar.:rolleyes:

Oh,and another one I missed out on was a 1964/65 1997 with a trem and original silver case,£250 back in September 1990,and I could've bought it,but for some reason I talked myself out of it,stupid.:rolleyes:

Xochi2 and new6659 like this.
  9. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

20210312_184904.jpg
    Fellow hack here (and who cares!). While I can't speak on that specific model of Rickenbacker 12 string, I can say this. After chasing a Rickenbacker 12 on an off for years, and having a couple pretty good deals snatched right from under my nose, I finally got a 360/12 early this year. It is a 2000 year model, and not perfect but very nice. Might have paid slightly more than I should, but I was determined not to let another get away over a few dollars.

Might want to consider used, that way if you change your mind you should be able to recoup nearly all of your money (also not a rich kid, or even a rich old man in my early 60s).

I contemplated trying to scratch the itch with another electric 12. Danelectro, even Gretsch. But in the end, I knew nothing else is quite the same. So glad I finally got the Rickenbacker. I don't even play it that often. But when I do, I know instantly it is a Rickenbacker 12!

Xochi2, Telechamp, Tele295 and 3 others like this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    This is " Mulva " ....watch 'till the end :p

Xochi2 likes this.
  11. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Very nice, but the middle pickup on my old 370/12 Roger McGuinn got in the way of my playing. I recall that John Lennon disconnected the middle pickup on his 325.

@Xochi2

It's a beautiful, iconic guitar. If you can swing it, I would get and treasure it.

12. knavel

knavel Country Gent

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    I have recently acquired a Rose Morris 1993Plus and 360/12c63, both in Fireglo. (Getting two wasn't the intention but with happenstance it just worked out that way). I may have one for sale as soon once my brother goes over them (logic is I should sell one but it will be hard as these two expressions of Rickenbacker formed my youthful ambitions as between the epic Townsend pic and George Harrison). It could be the c63 which I would then sell effectively as new for a pre-owned price. My main concern is that the middle pickup on the 1993 will get in the way as it did for Lennon and as discussed above.

Contrary to many I actually use my current Ric 12 string (a 1967 336-12) regularly on my songs, even side by side with my R9 Les Paul. Also, I A/B'd a part on my Ric 12 against my brother's 1966 Fender XII and there wasn't really that much difference so as to justify my getting a Fender XII as I was thinking to do at the time.

I don't use that Janglebox but I do use my old Echoplex that I hacked to make it so you can use the preamp part without using the tape delay (saves the heads and tape). That preamp really helps with recording Rickenbackers. I should try a recording with Tavo's Mystery Brain preamp as that is more accessible than an Echoplex and report back.

Xochi2 and T Bone like this.
  13. knavel

knavel Country Gent

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    This is a classic example of something I've said to those around me that people aren't ready to sell until they are ready to sell and you have to be the one that is right there on that day. Time and time again even when you tell someone you want to be called first or that you want it badly as you did with that friend, invariably they just sell it without thinking about you.

There are two things I wanted badly where I tried this approach but it didn't work out: (1) A 1955 6120 that I figured out the original owner had by the fact he was trying to sell 50 Chet Atkins albums on the local swap sheet (this was before the internet). I did manage to get the strap and the original tuners from the guitar (both of which I still have) and, perhaps the most amazing gift that keeps on giving, his entire parts collection as he was a repairman for a store in Detroit; (2) A 1966 Fender Jazz Bass from the family of the original owner who died in Italy. That was hard of course because it's easy to look like a vulture--I approached through a drummer who was the decedent's friend. But no dice.

I would call that 6120 guy periodically and ask if he changed his mind. "No, no it's going to my son (who doesn't play guitar)". I'm sure they have both been since sold.

Xochi2 likes this.
  14. afire

afire Country Gent

Or in this case, I evidently had to be right there in that minute. I'm sure I did see him that day! The funny thing is that he wanted me to come along when he took it to the first tech. I sure wish he'd asked me the second time and I would have been there to snatch it. All of that said, until relatively recently, I've never held onto any piece of gear for very long. I'm sure I would have sold it many years ago to buy a Gretsch anyway. That has been the fate of every single Rickenbacker I've ever owned.

Xochi2 and knavel like this.
  15. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I finally got fed up with the R tailpiece and swapped it for a 12 string Winfield. The original non-exploded tailpiece is safely stored, and the Winfield is much easier on the string changes, especially if I have a string break in the middle of a set and I have to replace it quickly.
    1D23D359-7F4D-4C28-BC81-C1477C75545B.jpeg

Xochi2, T Bone and thunder58 like this.
  16. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    if you want that 60's 12 string chime without having to sell a kidney go with the Gretsch Electromatic 12 string. Full size neck too - Ricks have these really skinny fretboards - I have smaller hands and still found myself really crowded on the Rick. Now that being said, if you can find one and afford it they are very cool guitars but, since you are looking for that classic tone and I think would prefer something more comfortable to play (I'm 67 myself) I think you will be very happy with the Gretsch. I have one myself, same one as Thunder58 has, and love it.

Xochi2, emitex and thunder58 like this.
  17. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

No idea how accurate they are, but of course there is a small pedal intended to recreate just the pre amp section of the Echoplex. Might be worth a look.

Xochi2 likes this.
  18. knavel

knavel Country Gent

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    I have one of them, I forget the name. It's not the same -- I used it live when I played a Rickenbacker just to give it some cut and for that purpose it was alright.

Xochi2 and T Bone like this.
  19. Xochi2

Xochi2 Gretschie

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Good point.

20. Xochi2

Xochi2 Gretschie

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Does that middle pick up get in the way? Just curious. Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.