Richard Fortus's new Falcon Signature Models

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Hickeroar, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas

Honestly signature models don't do anything for me (and neither do double cuts), but it was a treat listening to Richard talk about guitars, what makes Gretsch's special, hearing him play some beautiful runs, etc. I also didn't realize he started off as a violin player...

Drock2k1, j.s.c and ZackyDog like this.
  2. Desirsar

Desirsar Gretschie

Jun 9, 2021
    Lincoln, NE
    Once again, a description of these pickups that sounds exactly like what a Broadtron already does. Dying to hear someone compare them head to head.

3. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    I will say, the sounds he got out of them when he rolled the volume back aren't sounds I've heard come out of a broadtron. They sound very distinctly filtertron-like.

4. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Electromatic

Feb 17, 2010
    St. Louis
    He's a cool dude and very down to earth. I live in the St. Louis area as well and run in to him at shows. He is in the general admission section like everybody else just enjoying the music.

Groutsch and Henry like this.
  5. Jeremiah_S

Jeremiah_S Electromatic

Oct 19, 2018
    New England
    I just think the tortoise shell binding and the headstock inlay makes these really stand out, whether they're your cup of tea is a whole other story. It would have been neat if the black one came with pearloid instead of tortoise shell to contrast it. I love the idea of different drum wraps, like a black with red sparkle or something neat like that.

6. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I'd really like one of these in white,I'll most likely never see it though,but it sure is a cool geet!:cool:

7. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Very cool. More expensive than the BS Smoke so now I'll be able to justify the Smoke's price. LOL

CaliforniaSlim likes this.
  8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Honestly, he was the one that led my eye to the 6119 1959 RI. The greatest Gretsch in my book for heavy rock.

9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I feel the same . But still a nice guitar

j.s.c likes this.
  10. MisterKim

MisterKim Electromatic

Sep 2, 2021
    Redmond, WA
    I'm not really a big Guns 'N Roses fan, but again, Google search newsfeed offered me some Gretsch content last night. This time involving Richard Fortus and his new guitars (plus various thoughts about Gretsch for, well, hard rock). Interesting comments. He is, of course, also selling the signature guitars. Personally, I like the shorter scale double-cut guitar, but for my interests and skill level there are much less expensive options that would certainly fill my recreational needs. Plus, I did already purchase two Gretsch Electromatic guitars this year.

Richard Fortus interview in Mixdown magazine (AU) (mostly a launch interview)
    Richard Fortus interview in Guitar.com (tilts a bit more to why he has leaned to Gretsch guitars, still a launch interview)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  11. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Richard is like a school of fish when it comes to guitars -- always flashing off in another direction. I'm amazed that Gretsch held him down long enough to put his name on a guitar. He's used *everything* that I can think of, including some of Trussart's guitars, and he makes everything sound good. Talent will do that.

By the same token, I'd never buy any guitar that had his name on it; by the time you get it home he's using something else and besides, you're never going to sound like him on anything anyway.

12. Groutsch

Groutsch Synchromatic

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    I wasn't expecting the chicken pickin' at 15:36. :) I love tortoiseshell binding, too.

13. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a guitar with those specs, but it wouldn't be because anyone's name was on it. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.