Reverend Contender RB (new retroblast pickups)

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by gretschbigsby, Jan 22, 2021.

1. gretschbigsby

gretschbigsby Electromatic

Nov 21, 2009
    chicago
    Recently came into a Contender RB in Outfield Ivy with the new Retroblast pickups, which have replaced the former Retrotron pickups. Both are modeled on the filtertron. It's a solid body, set neck guitar with the Gibson scale length and a Bigsby B-5. Like all their guitars, the body is made of Korina.

Couldn't be happier. I had a Reverend Tricky Gomez (with Retrotrons) and then moved it along because I already had a couple of Gretsches... and then regretted it from the moment it left the house.

This Contender sounds great-- the RB's are at least as good as the RT (if a little less filtertonish on the low strings but with all the clarity, jangle and kraaang on the high end). The company says that the RB's are meant to have a tighter low end, and they do for sure.

To my ear, they definitely live in the same neighborhood as Filtertons-- a little hotter but of the same family. Kind of like how siblings resemble each other

But it is the design and playability that gets me with this guitar (and the Tricky, too). It plays better than most of my other guitars-- and its not especially close.

Reverend is the first new maker that I've really bonded with... Its kind of like I'm proud to own one again and support a company that is so creative while, at the same time, bringing forward the best of the past.

Definitely worth checking out.

Emster, pmac11 and ronbo like this.
  2. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Gretschie

Jan 22, 2019
    Colorado
    Glad you enjoy the Reverend. I'm this close >< to ordering a Reverend Double Agent W myself. Can't seem to make myself pull the trigger. I would be a reward for a year of hard work as a freelancer and five years of sobriety.

Are you happy with the build quality, etc? I keep hearing great things about Reverend's quality and intelligent designs. Your description makes their Retroblasts sound interesting.

3. gretschbigsby

Nov 21, 2009
    chicago
    Very cool-- I think you enjoy it. +1 to the build quality and intelligent design. Kind of reminds me of my first iPad/Apple product. The design itself makes it fun to use,

Congrats on 5 years. One day at a time.

rockymtnguitar likes this.
  4. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Reverends are fine guitars IMHO. I’ve owned 3 of them. A Tricky that I moved along and a Manta Ray HB I moved out that I wished I had kept. I would have changed the PUPs in the Manta Ray.
    I’ve kept the Pete Anderson PA1 with P90’s and still like it a lot.

Reverends in my opinion are good quality instruments and as a Company they really take care of their Customers.

oneforsorrow likes this.
  5. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    Ive been tempted by Reverend Guitars for a while now. What sparked it up again was seeing a psychobilly band I really like, The Koffin Kats, live back in spring of 2019. Tommy Koffin plays Reverends and even has a signature model. The band is out of Detroit and so is Reverend so this is really cool to see. Anyway, sounded great live and if they are able to take the abuse of a rock band on tour, well...that has to say something for their quality and durability.

6. gretschbigsby

Nov 21, 2009
    chicago
    Would definitely recommend, If you have tend toward the Gretsch side of the spectrum, you'll be happy with the Retrotron/Retroblast pickups. You won't be disappointed.

There's a tricky on reverb now, and a club king with RT's... tempting!

And they play as well if not better than any of my Gretsches/Rics/Fenders....

7. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I love my Buckshot. It's got a Rev'tron in the neck and their Greasy T in the bridge. Was my only electric for for 12 years until I finally got a Gretsch. Was just playing it this afternoon after primarily playing my Gretsch for the last months since getting it. I still love the Reverend. It's as solid of a guitar as any I've ever owned. Stays in tune and plays like a dream. I'd love to get my hands on a Flatroc sometime as it has Rev'tron pups in both neck and bridge.

8. gretschbigsby

Nov 21, 2009
    chicago
  9. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Pictures or it's just a story ;-)

10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Still looking for a PA-1?

11. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Still in a holding pattern.

Tony65x55 likes this.
  12. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    LOL. Me too!

pmac11 likes this.
  13. gretschbigsby

Nov 21, 2009
    chicago
    There's one on Reverb for just $750....

14. gretschbigsby

Nov 21, 2009
    chicago
    He just lowered the price to $650 plus $50 shipping. Its a steal!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.