Reverb pedals for clean playing?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by jakjar123, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    How do you know the video you saw has not been tampered with in post recording.

And ...... I've owned both that EHX and HoF and I know you can easy adjust both to give the same drip - all you have to do is turn a dial.

I'm not recommending 1 over the other.
    Just saying youtube videos on issues like that prove zero.
    The only guarantee is it will not sound like the video when you get it home :)

2. jakjar123

jakjar123 Electromatic

Feb 14, 2021
    UK
    I know it won't. From every review and comparison, when the HOF has all the dials turned to max it has less drip than the ehx. That's not a bad thing. I'm just looking to have a reverb that drips as much as possible. I don't think that every video on yt has been tampered with in the same way. Has the sound been enhanced and eq'd? Yeah of course. Of course you can dial them in to sound the same, but the EHX on max will have more drip than HOF on max. By your logic every video on youtube reviewing or demonstrating gear is completely pointless.

3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Another vote here that the HOF will drip like all get-out. It would depend which TonePrint you are using, but I've gotten some startlingly good sounds out of mine.

Waxhead likes this.
  4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    2 people who have owned both pedals are saying they can deliver the same amount of drip by simple adjustment.
    In fact one of the advantages of HoF is its almost unlimited adjustment.

And I'm not saying every youtube video is tampered with.
    But none of us know which videos have been and which one's are not :D

5. jackfossett

jackfossett Gretschie

Jul 17, 2019
    Maine
    I’m personally pretty in love with the Keeley Hydra. 3 types of reverbs and 3 types of tremolos in one.

6. RSAD

RSAD Electromatic

Oct 25, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have many but my favorites are the EHX Holy Grail and the Oceans 11. They work wonderful with my Gretsch's and Fender guitars. I use them on all my amps in place of the spring reverb except when I use my Pro Reverb

jakjar123 likes this.
  7. gretschiam

gretschiam Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    Chicago
    I don’t know how available it is where you are, but I’m a fan of the very reasonable priced Holy Grail by Electro Harmonix.

8. Cass

Cass Electromatic

May 24, 2020
    Melbourne
    I’m pretty happy with my Anasounds Element. It’s a pedal connected to a genuine spring tank, so you get that genuine spring sound, and it’s controllable from a little to a lot, and a 2 band eq. There are 3 different sized tanks available. They’re a French mob, so they’re close to you. But budget friendly? Maybe not.

9. Blewzman

Blewzman Electromatic

Dec 7, 2017
    Bella Visa
    I have used the TC Electronic Hall of Fame and Hall of Fame 2 and they are fantastic

new6659 likes this.
  10. Greenman Wood

Greenman Wood Electromatic

Jul 27, 2020
    Noo Yawk
    On my board I have an EH Oceans 11 and a Solidgoldfx Surf Rider. With those two and the reverb in my JC-40, this is one area I'm fully covered. Certainly haven't come close to exploring all the possibilities yet...

jakjar123 likes this.
  11. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Electromatic

May 16, 2011
    Ohio
    Mr. Black's Deluxe Plus is good for me to use when I use my 57 Deluxe tweed clone. The pedal has both reverb and tremelo so it allows me to get close to what my Black and Silverface Fenders do if I need those sounds.

12. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    If you can find one of the Boss FRV-1 Fender Reverb ‘63 Reverb pedals. It’s all you need. IMHO!

BB4DD1F5-97F0-4C98-B4ED-8195B9DDEEB8.jpeg

heinzman likes this.
  13. TubeLife

TubeLife Synchromatic

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    I had an FRV-1 for a couple years. I tried to like it but just couldn’t. I could not for the life of me dial out this artificial “metallic zing” that was present with the pedal. It’s a love/hate pedal if you search reviews. I was in the latter camp..

The only positive out of it was I sold it more than I bought it for:)....

14. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Never had that problem with mine. It replicates reverb excellent for my setup but like guitars there may be a difference between each pedal. IDK

TubeLife likes this.
  15. jakjar123

jakjar123 Electromatic

Feb 14, 2021
    UK
    Yeah I was checking that out. Seems like a fun pedal but to get it shipped here with the fees etc. comes out to like $400+ with a lot of waiting time.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

16. jakjar123

jakjar123 Electromatic

Feb 14, 2021
    UK
    Thanks! Have you tried using the echo feature for a slapback on the oceans 11?

17. Byron

Byron Country Gent

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I oddly prefer the Frv1 to the Oceans 11. Seemed to be closer to the tank sound. Doesn't go great with overdrive though, that was when it got some digital spookiness.
    But I'd sell mine. It just doesn't get used that much as I prefer just slap back delay and just some room ambience from Tavos El Pescadoro

TubeLife likes this.
  18. Jimmy Mongo

Jimmy Mongo Electromatic

Dec 24, 2019
    Vermont
    I use a TC Electronic Skysurfer with an MXR Carbon Copy. Lotsa wiggle room. But now after reading about all the other types and descriptions ,you guys opened a can of worms for me :)

19. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Gretschie

Dec 29, 2012
    Aberdeen
    I was exactly the same. I can’t believe what they go for now.

TubeLife likes this.
  20. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    In no small part thanks to comments made here, I picked up an Oceans 11 yesterday. This thing is amazing! I only had two hours with screw around with it and spent most of that time trying out all the settings, but a few quick observations –

The Echo setting (reverb+delay) does a fairly decent slapback all by itself, might even eliminate the need for a separate delay pedal for that. Doesn’t seem to do the long delays, unless there’s a parameter I’m missing somewhere. Will need further investigation, but impressed.

Being that I’ve got a Deluxe Reverb, I know that Fender spring reverb sound pretty well, and the Oceans 11 almost takes that too far. Obviously geared for surf music, which is something I don't play a lot of, it's drip to the Nth degree. I'm gonna have to find the setting that dials that down some for general use. Or learn a bunch of Dick Dale songs.

Hall and Plate reverbs are outstanding, clean and transparent.

The Shimmer setting blew me away! I was so transfixed listening to the sound that I’d forget to play the next notes! LoL! I have no idea what I’ll ever use it on, maybe Talking Heads “Heaven” would work, but just for a way cool sound, too much fun!

Several other settings available – Tremolo, Dynamic, Modulated – seemed to be varying combinations and twists on the main ones. The Reverse was cool, but a more of novelty thing to my tastes.

You can even emulate the old reverb tank slap! Ker-chang! Ha!

One thing I did notice, the wall wort (which came with it – nice going EHX) lists the output at 200mA. That’s a bit higher than some. For example, a Voodoo Labs Power Pedal only puts out a 100mA per 9v outlet. I’m not sure if that matters, but I don’t know yet how well this thing’s going to play with my other pedals and power sources. If anybody’s got experience with that, it’d be nice to hear from you.

Overall, happy with my purchase. Thanks to all here that recommended it.

jakjar123 and Ricochet like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.