Reverb just upped the selling fee

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mbkri, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Yeah, that increase is too much for me and I usually have great results from selling on Reverb. I'll still buy there, but I'm out as a seller for now. Facebook Marketplace here I come...

YouFellowRebels likes this.
  2. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yikes.

Merc likes this.
  3. peterjcb

peterjcb Gretschie

Nov 28, 2017
    USA
    It bothered me more when they added sales tax to all sales...I'll pay the additional 1.5% sales commission fee but paying 8% additional sales tax really sucks....
    I will sell locally on Marketplace or CL from now on....

emitex likes this.
  4. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    emitex, Henry and oneforsorrow like this.
  5. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I'M NOT CAPTIVE...:) In fact they lost my attention entirely after that move. Just like Ebay - I may buy something there but I don't sell there anymore.

pmac11 likes this.
  6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    The local Want ADs magazine that came out once a week.
    Had a lot of luck selling. Actually better than any of the present day market places.

wabash slim likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Seems like every decent sized town had one of those. Ours was the Penny Saver.

pmac11 and new6659 like this.
  8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It does suck. But reverb wanting a penny more is no more greedy than me wanting a penny more.

I also think reverb is not what it used to be. It used to be more like an online Craigslist. Now many businesses, not just people getting rid of stuff, operate through reverb, some exclusively. My guess is as more volume is taken up with businesses (who are in fact using reverbs services such as hosting, collection, even shiipping assistance) they are dealing with more admin as well. And with covid, the in person/ local shop is less feasible, so they have more market power.

I would expect a new platform to appear that is friendlier to occasional sellers . . . Just like reverb was an alternative to eBay.

I dont need to justify what they chose, but few businesses can serve everyone. Just as some consumers can move beyond the brands they once loved, sellers can evolve their businesses so that some clients are no longer feasible. In my business, we turn away work that we would have snapped up 15 years ago because it isn't in the right sector or not profitable enough.

Just my own musings.

Tater, pmac11 and Groutsch like this.
  9. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Certainly a valid observation. My guess is that if that if this is the case and this move reflects a marketplace of fewer individual sellers relative to the "retailers", those larger outfits will likely be able to negotiate fees in their favor.

Which begs the observation ... perhaps all the individual sellers could operate collectively in a similar manner and negotiate fees in our favor.

I'm just saddened by the timing of it. Like I said in my original post, I noticed many items for sale due to financial hardship brought on by current events. And it's more than a penny. It's a penny and half on every dollar. There's currently 4597 Gretsch guitars for sale on Reverb. They range in price from $125 to $243,248. I don't have the patience to determine the average price but let's say we take out the outliers and call it $800??? That's $3,677,600 dollars worth of Gretsch guitars and $55,164 fewer dollars going to the sellers of those guitars.

But maybe there will be another platform open up to compete with them.

10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    It’s like Amazon. I used to sell occasional books on Amazon. It was easy to do. Now the personal seller there is extinct, it’s all businesses. Reverb is heading that way too.

pmac11, Henry, Merc and 1 other person like this.
  11. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yeah we still have a Penny Saver but the Want Ads magazine is long gone. Our local Penny Saver isn't really aimed at selling musical equipment anymore.

12. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    After listening to some online discussions and podcasts, I've decided to have a rethink - as much as I loathe the fee increase, I'll just have to bump up my Reverb sale prices a bit. Reverb does protect the seller far better than eBay ever did. I'll still probably put stuff on Facebook Marketplace as well. My only experience on there was as a buyer and the transaction was smooth and safe.

13. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    I thought the same thing--just a show of solidarity and maybe the company will rethink its rate increase.

Then I thought two things:
    1. Companies generally don't change pricing because of complaints. They do so when they lose market share through competition.
    2. In order to be a group, you need a lot of committed people involved. How many sellers large and small will simply not participate because the see an opportunity to sell with less competition, and even raise their prices by the 1,5% and still sell plenty?

I want to believe, but the realist/cynic in me says a rate reduction isn't in the cards. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

The conspiracy theorist in me says this: Reverb announces a rate increase that is weeks away---very likely driving up sales, temporarily as people rush to buy/sell before the rate increase. In the meantime, Reverb is also working through a valuation process for investment or sale or...
    And they benefit from the push in sales.
    They could then rescind the price fee increase and look like heroes.
    But that is an unlikely scenario or outcome.

As a final thought I ask a question of those that see this rate increase as insignificant. If your local tax rate (property, sales, whatever) went up by 1.5% would that seem an insignificant amount? Or would you be bothered then?

RG7X and YouFellowRebels like this.
  14. I was looking for an instrument and found it on reverb, but the store had it listed on amazon as well. I had questions about it, so i called them , they answered them on the phone, and i asked them if it mattered if i bought through reverb or amazon, they said reverb. Amazon charges a little over 15 percent. So I bought it through reverb.

15. They say they will increase customer support. A year or two ago, if i contacted reverb for an issue, which i had very little of, they responded also to immediately. And it was resolved. Since this pandemic, i had numerous issues buying on reverb. The original problems were not on reverbs end, but stores with no employees unable to ship what they sold, or selling guitars they didnt have in stock because there was no one to update stock, to shipping the a wrong guitar. It was odd that this happened to me more than once in a short period of time. Reverb did get involved and contacted the stores, but it took a bit of time to resolve. Two weeks for one store to issue a credit for something they never shipped. But reverb did react in a decent time frame. Over the last two weeks, i ordered two different things from different stores. After many questions on line to the sellers, which were answered quickly before purchase, about the instruments set ups and playability, i bought them. Payed right away, and waited for items to ship. It took one a week to ship it. FedEx, which is usually fast, took a week to deliver, so many are effected by this. When they got to my home, they were horrible instruments that were humanly impossible to play. I emailed the stores through reverb first. They didnt respond. After a week of no answered, i contacted reverb. Took them a day to get back to mine to say they will reach out. Three days later i go back to reverb and have to explain to them all over again that i wanted to return the instrument. They apologized as they said their staff is reduced significantly, which I understood. A few days later with no response from anyone, i reached out to them to explain it again, and had to wait a few days so i could reach out again. It was frustrating too say the least. I understand little to no staff. But it took way to long to resolve. After two weeks they agreed to return it, but it still took a week to get a return shipping label after me reaching out almost every day. Then it sat at the store for days before they were forced to give me a refund because reverb told them too. So, short story long, in the past reverb had great customer service. Now they are crippled like the reset of the country. How can they add more help if no one is allowed to work? I think some of the chats i had might have been from reps at home. Unless the pandemic disappears, which i am doubting, not sure if more help will help.

Its also hit or miss for me selling there. There are times i list an item and no one bites for months. I realist it later and it sells right away. So its hard to predict. Do i prefer to meet a crazy person through Craigslist in a dark ally, or ship and wait and pay fees through reverb?

16. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I've sold a few things on Reverb, but also had good results with Kijiji, FB, and this forum. The latter three have zero service fees, although Kijiji and FB seem to have an obligatory lowballer for everything that's listed. Once you get used to that, there are a lot of options for selling gear.

17. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    It's not 1.5%. 5/3.5 = 1.42. It's a 42% increase in their commission....

j.s.c and mrcoffee23 like this.
  18. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Ours was called 'The Buy and Sell'. Not the most imaginative name, but...

19. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    IMHO we might be overreacting a bit. 1.5% additional is $1.50 per hundred bucks, $15 per thousand. I've had better luck selling on Reverb than eBay or elsewhere.

20. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.