Resource for flat-wounds of a certain price?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by montereyjack66, Jul 22, 2020.

1. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Yes Thomasticks are bad ass, but as a newly retired (yay) kinda guy, I can't afford to go there very often. Anybody got a line on flatwounds of reasonable quality for pretty close to dirt cheap? Asking for my Jump Blues Friends.

TwangCat and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I have John Pearse Jazz Lights on a guitar now and like them. I used D-Addario Chromes in the past and liked them too.

3. Every set i put on, i take off within an hour or so. I always convince my self i will like them. Especially after coming here and reading the great reviews. They rarely last , even the Thomas expensive ones. So you can wait for me to pull the new guild out into rotation, and after playing it a few minutes, will change it back to round wounds, then i can Mail them to you for like 52 cents

SAguitar and montereyjack66 like this.
  4. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I have been using D'addario chromes for a few years now and I think they're great. I am going to put Thomastiks on my Falcon next, but until then I can't give a good comparison.

5. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
    Well, in my opinion Thomastiks aren't more expensive if you consider that they last very long. I usually change them after a year of use.

ZackyDog and montereyjack66 like this.
  6. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I used the Chromes for several years and really liked them (only changed to a round wound when I went to a darker colored amp). Not sure what he charges for the flatwound, but when I switched strings to a round wound, I tried a ton of strings and settled on Curt Mangan pure nickel. They've served me well. Break in nice and hold up to heavy usage. Very, very happy with these strings and was able to get them in custom gauges for a reasonable price. I'd assume his flatwounds would be of a similar quality.

montereyjack66 likes this.
  7. montereyjack66

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Standing by....

8. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    GHS Flats are my favorite "cheap" brand

9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Galli's are darn good flats, still from Europe but a bit cheaper than TI. Imports will be more than domestic and you will probably have to pay shipping so i suggest whatever your local carries, most likely Dadarrio or GHS.

10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    And, the wound strings will last through 3 or 4 plain string changes, at least for me.

11. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Not only Steel flatwound BUT ROUNDCORE, hand made by DR Strings. $13. DO IT!!
    https://www.juststrings.com/drs-fl-11.html
    [​IMG]

12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I would venture to say you can’t afford not to go there. I am at 16 months on my TI jazz swings on my Penguin. 25$ divided by 16 Equals $1.56 a month. They sound as good now as when I put them on. In all fairness I haven’t played in four months other than a few hours a month just to keep things tuned up and set up properly.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  13. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    +1. Thomastiks are quite inexpensive if you factor life of the strings.

14. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I didn't know those were round cores. I'll have to give them a try!

15. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I keep a set of TI Jazz Swings on my Epi Broadway. Awesome trad jazz ,blues, or any clean strictly rhythm sound. I love playing them, but I like to bend my 3rds too much most of the time so it doesn’t get much play.

16. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
    I always swap the G string for an unwound one.

17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I don't like flats but use Pyramid strings and have read up a bit on them. The Pyramid Golds get very good reviews and seem very reasonable priced.

18. montereyjack66

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
  19. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I’ve considered that, but
    A) it kinda spoils the old school vibe I get with a wound 3rd, I kinda like how it limits me, in a good way, when I’m taking another stab at a jazz standard or otherwise getting my ol school swing on.
    B) I like the twang I get from rounds for most genres I play. Overall the typical round wound/plain 3rd set is just more versatile for my typical Deadhead/Country/Rock/Americana style of playing.

KuKuKu, ZackyDog and montereyjack66 like this.
  20. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I've used Pyramid Gold, and they're nice.

I wouldn't use flats with Filtertrons though.

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.