RESO EXCHANGE

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by THE BALD REVEREND, Jul 28, 2020.

1. THE BALD REVEREND

THE BALD REVEREND Electromatic

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    Hi guys , i'd have the possibility to exchange my WECHTER squareneck dobro ( a very fine one , and too much for my dobro skills ) with an electroacoustic GRETSCH Bobtail 9230 ( + money back ... )
    Any of you could express his own and frank opinion about 9230 ? On the web i found some controversial positions ..... Thanks a lot from Italy !

2. Runamok

Runamok Synchromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    What sort of music?

Not familiar w/the Wechter.
    I don’t have the ‘30, but same series: 9241 mahogany roundneck with the pickup. How that compares to the 9230, is beyond me. So take my assessment with an Absolut & a grain of salt. I am talking out of turn.

I’m not a fan of the guitar I have, at least for its tone.
    I won’t trash it: Its OK, but think it carries more of a bluegrass/old timey sound to my ear, though I’ve heard people play ok blues on these. Just not me too often. Maybe its me & not the guitar.

The tuner knobs were defective on mine.
    Those were graciously replaced. Its become my ‘bang around’ guitar now.

The pickup has no on board controls, so you walk back to the amp (if you don’t use a D.I. box & assuming the amp has an acoustic input).

I love the form factor, as a 14.5” lower bout “0” & a good neck, 3” deep body. 1-3/4” nut on mine. I don’t find it holding its tuning as well as I’d like, but not significantly worse than my other resonators.

It feels good to me. That’s why I still have it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Abraham Wechter started his business in the -70s in Paw Paw MI, then moved to Fort Wayne IN. I remember hearing that they Plek'ed every instrument they made.

4. THE BALD REVEREND

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    Hi Runamok , with dobro i hopelessly try to play blues and a little bit of BG . I know ( by paper ) the technical features of 9230 , so my question was more about the general building quality , the fact that lockers stay quite in tune , that strings height is even , that no buzz is audible ...
    In other words if i have to expect ( or hopefully not ) some major headache . This although i'm strongly convinced that even with broken neck , the Bobtail sounds much better than me .

5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Is there something you dont like about the one you have? Are you looking to move to a round neck?
    I wouldn't want to downgrade, unless it fit into some plan i had.

Runamok likes this.
  6. THE BALD REVEREND

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    No , my Wechter ir really a marvelous dobro , it's only i do not deserve it , and some cheapo ( but not trash ) would perfectly fit to me . It's not a matter of downgrading now , it has been a super-super-upgrading at the beginning , with Wechter ! The idea is not to give up with dobro but to save some money i could spend ... maybe in a new Gretsch !

7. Runamok

Runamok Synchromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Are you staying with lap slide? (squareneck).
    Or changing your musical direction more suited to roundneck? Pls define.

The different manner of play is a bigger deal than price, isn’t it? Lap vs reg’lar.
    That seems to be the pivotal change.

How much are you “saving?” If its paid for (no idea the price differential), & it really is a great guitar, but you don’t have a handle on how to control it, your direction is either to learn it, or not.

The 9230 is a squareneck as well?

You seem to find more headroom in the Wechter.
    Why limit your horizon if you LIKE the Wechter, feel it exceeds your skillset & feel somehow unworthy?

Aren’t you essentially saying a “cheaper, but not trash” guitar matches your expectations & aspiration.

Or are you just bragging on your guitar & self-flagellating while cutting yourself off at the knees?

Go back & ask yourself if you’ve defined what you really mean, imho, & definitely play a guitar that is more in line with the Gretsch, if not that very 9230—otherwise you are defining your direction sight unseen, possibly the same as you might have in buying the Wechter.

Dobro as a brand.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  8. Runamok

Runamok Synchromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    You are asking for details that can be altered on the guitar. The set up.
    Those aren’t then, a “major headache.”

Looking up videos - can’t get a good sense of the model Wechter you own. What I found sounds “bluegrassy” to me. Not a sound I want in a resonator generally, but that’s me, not you.

As I said, the Gretsch I own has a sound that breaks the same direction (imo) & takes me a long time to “play in” to get closer to what I want (it can be done).

—————
    Offtopic: The 2011 NAMM show video had a Wechter roundneck cutaway that looks to be the same size & form factor as Republic’s Hwy 61 line, but in a glossy finish. Of course the guy played funk, not blues.

While I like the style, that guitar seems to respond faster, puncier than what I hear in a blues guitar. Maybe the reason for his music choice.

I wouldn’t base a choice on what I said, just talking here.

9. THE BALD REVEREND

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    Runamok , you're a wise man !
    I want to carry on with lap ( 9230 is a squareneck too ) but for sure i have to meditate on my choice .
    I tend to underestimate myself , i know , but at the same time i'm conscious that i will never have enough time to practice and enough talent to learn , so ....
    Bahhh , we will see !

10. Runamok

Runamok Synchromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Stop excusing an instrument change based upon your skill level today. That is self-defeating.
    You are defining your future, limiting it. A terrible way to enjoy your toys.

The price differential (based on used price on a Wechter 6524-R Squareneck I found online) is close to a wash at $600 vs & $500 new Gretsch.

If you’ve got the cash, if your Wechter is a high end guitar, a grand or two—springing for a Gretsch as a 2nd travel guitar, even used in addition, might be better than putting on blinders about where you aspire to be.

Learning a piece: Take it in bite-sized chunks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.