Replacing Electromatic Blacktron pick ups

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Reddevil66, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Reddevil66

Reddevil66 Electromatic

Sep 16, 2020
    Manchester UK
    Hi apologies if this has been covered before but I've just got hold of my second Gretsch recently... a G5420TG-59 Electromatic FSR Vintage Orange.... I'm going to do some mods including swapping the pick ups... I'm looking at House of tone Filter house pick ups... They got a decent review in Guitar magazine.. Are there any issues I need to be aware of with regards changing.?..are there any specific extra bits on the blacktrons.. Any help appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    Blacktrons? No, they are Blacktop Filter'Trons, which are real Filter'Trons. I don't see why you'd swap them out. Judging from the Guitar article, the difference would be subtle.

new6659, hcsterg and Reddevil66 like this.
  3. Drock2k1

Drock2k1 Synchromatic

Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    If you don’t like them then swap them out but if you haven’t given them a chance I would strongly recommend you do so. I have loved them in the electromatics
    I have owned. If you are looking for a lower cost alternative, I can’t recommend the HS Filtertrons enough.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  4. Reddevil66

Reddevil66 Electromatic

Sep 16, 2020
    Manchester UK
    Hi Fredo thanks for your reply..and thanks for identifying the pups.. I'm quite new to the Gretsch brand and there's a lot to take in.. My decision was partly cosmetic too.. The Bigsby is silver.. But the rest of the fittings are gold.. Just a personal thing but I find gold a bit tacky on guitars.. I've ordered nickel control knobs and Gotoh sta tite nickel tuners.. So was thinking of the pups.. But I'll replace the rest and maybe take your advice and keep the existing pups

5. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    @Reddevil66,

You can probably polish your pickup casings to remove the gold plating. I never did this but our member @englishman did it several times with success.

A+!

Reddevil66 and pmac11 like this.
  6. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Agreed. You can also scour the internet for replacement covers.

Reddevil66 and hcsterg like this.
  7. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Yes, It's very easy to polish the gold off and leave shiny nickel underneath

Reddevil66 likes this.
  8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I'm with you, there is one very specific color combination that I like with gold. Outside of that, it just looks gaudy and it starts to tarnish and flake off almost immediately.

Reddevil66 likes this.
  9. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    First try dropping in 1/4” magnets. I like my Blacktops with those magnets.

10. FiveAces

FiveAces Gretschie

Mar 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Drop in 1/4" magnets? ...explain?

11. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Blacktops come with 1/8” magnets. The original design uses 1/4” magnets. I made the change on mine and really like the results.

12. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
  13. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    If you wanna do a pickup swap I'd look into the TV jones range as well.
    the only gold I personally like on gretsch hollow bodies is the gold pickup rings on orange guitars. Gonnas swap out the blacktops on my 5420 for TV jones Setzers and replace the silver rings with gold rings.

Reddevil66 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.