Removing Poly from neck

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Stefan, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Short technical question-
    is it possible to sand the polyurethane off the back of a neck (no chemical removing)?

Thanks!

2. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    yes. done it fender / squier necks a few times.

Stefan likes this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yep, sanding or scraping is what it takes. Chemical strippers dont work anyway.

Stefan likes this.
  4. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    But I guess it‘ll take a lot of elbow grease...:-(

5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yeah, that stuff is thick.

6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Taking the shine off with a washing up scourer will really help with the grippyness. The poly will still be there protecting the wood, and you may need to do it again some time.

7. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Stefan,

Don't remove it, ''satin'' it out.

Start with 400 wet/dry paper, and go up from there, 600/1000/2000.

Stop wherever the feel is right.

This is still factory finish on the back of my Malcolm Young ''Salute'' Jet build, from 400 to 2000 sanded wet.

The finish on the back, is nowhere near as thick as it was on the front. It took me three hours of hard sanding to get all the finish off the maple topped front, down to bare wood. On the back, the bare mahogany started to show through almost immediately.

BIB.

DSCF1264.JPG

benderb9, mrfixitmi, bone and 2 others like this.
  8. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Why remove it? Chemical strippers work really well but I would stay away from chemical strippers because they are indiscriminate and you can get them on places you don't want to strip. And what about transitions like edges of fretboard and heel of the neck?

I think you should sand the area that you don't like. But again, why do it? Is it not slick enough? If so, I would just polish it with 3000 grit paper and if that's not slick enough, go to 2000 grit and on down until you're satisfied.

9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    If you really want to strip it (which I do not recommend - I assist the idea of taking the shine off) and you do not want to invest hours of elbow-grease you can get a buffer, put it on your power-drill and polish through the poly-layer. You will be surprised how tough this stuff is.

10. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    If It's modern poly, (polyester?) it's often very thick and difficult to sand. It scratches easy like plastic when sanding and hard to sand out the scratches. I recommend against it.
    If it's just poly urethane varnish that different.

11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I always knock the shine off my necks with either sandpaper or a scotch bright pad.

I have never sanded the poly completely off because I worried that poly can not be feathered in at the edges like Nitro can.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  12. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I've never had an issue with shiny necks causing stickiness. How does that work?

13. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    ...and they're nasty to deal with. Go for the sandpaper.

14. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Thanks gentlemen, I know those buffing games...I‘m interested in removing the Poly but I guess it’s, hmmm, not the best idea :rolleyes:
    On the other hand I‘m a real patient and diligent guy. I hate the unnecessarily overpainted skunk stripe on my new old Squier:
    117DD7EC-5466-4BF1-98FF-B674A96C4E14.jpeg

15. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    2 minutes with a green Scotch Bright pad and that neck and stripe will be a beautiful satin and feel wonderful.

reverb11, bone and RG7X like this.
  16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Unless that neck is incredibly special and unique, I'd just leave it. I remember Squier Affinity/Bullet necks were easy to sand back, but even in that case I simply refinished it by spraying over the extremely thin poly instead of sanding it completely off. On other refins, I noticed I lost some girth by sanding, almost inevitable with the method. Since I'm laying on thin nitro coats, the neck profile will never match the half mm thick poly finish found on some guitars.

Stefan likes this.
  17. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    +1 on the 'satinizing'...

I just use some steel wool and knock some of the shine off and that is pretty much all it takes for a nice, non-stick feeling neck...

GlenP likes this.
  18. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I did knock the ugly, thick, sticky poly off a new Fender neck I bought. It came out nice.

Here it is partly finished, the headstock was the same poly:oops:

23CD732B-20CC-490D-8991-17D253216A98.jpeg

Wjensen and Stefan like this.
  19. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My luthier sanded down my neck to a very nice satin. I noticed he didn't list it on the invoice so I called before I picked up my guitar and asked if he had done it. He hadn't but he sanded it down in the 5 minutes it took to drive over and didn't charge me. Feels great. I would definitely give it a try, you don't have much to lose.

Stefan and radd like this.
  20. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    If you can stand 5 minutes of me droning on and on you can watch me scuff the neck on my Jaguar with micro mesh pads

Stefan and G5422T like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.