Remove Space Control bridge base?

GuyaGuy

Gretschie
Jun 9, 2014
Brooklyn
I have a '12 Gretsch Proline 6128T Double Cut Jet with a Space Control bridge. I want to replace the bridge and thought getting the rosewood base off would be easy because either it would not be pinned or removable by slightly rocking it. But this things doesn't want to budge.

Were these glued on? Or is there something I'm just doing wrong?

In case it's helpful, my base looks like the one here--but there's a gap in the middle on the bottom between the posts.

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:

6187LX

Gretschie
Aug 11, 2022
Up Around the Bend
It wasn't glued on in the factory. Try using dental floss to see if someone used 2 sided tape, If someone glued it, dealing with solvents and finishes can be problematic.

FiveAces

Gretschie
Mar 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
Agreed... If you purchased it used, it's possible there is double stick tape under it, but as new from the factory, it should be floating loose and just lift off.

GuyaGuy

Gretschie
Jun 9, 2014
Brooklyn
Thanks. Shortly after posting I saw a thread on another forum where someone ran into the same thing and it was double sided sticky.

So I tried dental floss and can get it half way through before it’s a struggle to keep going. I’ll try some naphtha to dissolve the glue a bit and try flossing again.

hotraman

Gretschie
Mar 18, 2009
Camas, Wa
Another person to say, your bridge is pinned. I'm probably in the minority, but I like the bridge pinned on my Black Falcon.

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
A properly pinned bridge would not be an issue, as they are not actually fastened to the top, but instead sit on top of the pins and are easily removable if you take all the strings off. On Electromatic models with "secured" bridges, they are different in that the bridge posts go through the bridge feet and directly into the top. Not a fan of this.

I think @GuyaGuy is dealing with the double-sided tape issue... which is why I only use cello rosin on unpinned bridges, and never used tape at all. With rosin, the bridge stays put under string pressure, but comes right off when you want it to.

GuyaGuy

Gretschie
Jun 9, 2014
Brooklyn
A properly pinned bridge would not be an issue, as they are not actually fastened to the top, but instead sit on top of the pins and are easily removable if you take all the strings off. On Electromatic models with "secured" bridges, they are different in that the bridge posts go through the bridge feet and directly into the top. Not a fan of this.

I think @GuyaGuy is dealing with the double-sided tape issue... which is why I only use cello rosin on unpinned bridges, and never used tape at all. With rosin, the bridge stays put under string pressure, but comes right off when you want it to.
Yeah I wouldn’t expect this kind of resistance from a pin—unless the “pin” is actually a screw going through the base into the body, which I have also seen. But it’s not the case here and the bridge posts don’t go through the body.